Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire Chris Snyder

Orioles Acquire Chris Snyder

PostPost #1 by osforlife » April 29th, 2013, 2:23 pm

The Angels have traded catcher Chris Snyder to the Orioles for minor-league pitcher Rob Delaney, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports . MASNSports.com's Roch Kubatko notes that the Orioles will add Snyder to their active roster, which presumably means that he will serve as the backup to Matt Wieters while Taylor Teagarden is on the disabled list with a thumb injury.

Snyder, 32, was hitting .342/.388/.684 with Triple-A Salt Lake. He hit .176/.295/.308 in 221 at bats with the Astros in 2012.

Delaney, 28, struggled in three outings for Triple-A Norfolk in 2013, but was effective as a Triple-A reliever in 2011 and 2012. He has pitched a total of six big-league innings in his career, including five with the Rays in 2011.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/a ... ioles.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ch02.shtml
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: Orioles Acquire Chris Snyder

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 29th, 2013, 2:42 pm

So, management was persistent on improving the organization's club depth. They obviously didn't trust one of their many potential back-ups in the minors. By giving up pitcher Rob Delaney, the Orioles acquired a back-up catcher for at least three weeks, in replace of the injured Taylor Teagarden. I'm not really sure what the big deal has been about the back-up catcher in this system. This role will receive about 150 at-bats over the course of a season. Does it really matter who does it? Obviously, you can't throw me in there, but heck, every single back-up catcher is going to hit .200. Taylor Teagarden, Chris Snyder, Luis Exposito, Luis Martinez, Chris Robinson - they'd all probably hit about the same if given regular plate appearances. Now, the question is, is Taylor Teagarden better than Chris Snyder? I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire a better back-up catcher, but one might as well pick the best one if one has them in possession. Taylor Teagarden's batting line is .205/.270/.390, largely thanks to a .319/.396/.809 rookie season. Every year his OPS had dipped and his dWAR has accumulated to 0.9 over 144 games. Chris Snyder's batting line is .225/.329/.385, has had extensive success at the major league level, and has accumulated a 4.0 dWAR over 706 games. Buck loves Teagarden, but I think Snyder might be better.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » April 30th, 2013, 12:18 pm

I think I would have moxed up Expo but then again I have to defer to Dan on this one 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 30th, 2013, 5:51 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think I would have moxed up Expo but then again I have to defer to Dan on this one 8-)

He hit .056 in 18 big league at-bats last year, and is hitting .218 in the minors this season.

Why in the world would you want him on the roster?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by osforlife » April 30th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Orioles Designate Luis Exposito For Assignment

The Orioles have designated catcher Luis Exposito for assignment in order to make room on their 40-man roster for catcher Chris Snyder, MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli reports. The Orioles acquired Snyder from the Angels on Sunday, and it appeared likely that Snyder, rather than Exposito, would be the backup to Matt Wieters while Taylor Teagarden was out with a thumb injury.

Exposito, 26, made his big-league debut with the Orioles in 2012, playing in nine games. He hit .218/.259/.273 for Triple-A Norfolk this year, after hitting .268/.326/.420 there in 2012.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/o ... nment.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... lu01.shtml

He looked terrible when he was with the Orioles last year. Hopefully, some team claims him. Now that DD has his beloved quality back-up catcher in Chris Snyder, we don't need Luis Exposito. Time to see what kids like Chris Robinson and Luis Martinez can do in AAA for us.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 30th, 2013, 8:55 pm

osforlife wrote:Hopefully, some team claims him.

We might just release him. The team has put Caleb Joseph back behind the plate so there really shouldn't be a spot for him at AAA or AA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » May 1st, 2013, 12:07 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He hit .056 in 18 big league at-bats last year, and is hitting .218 in the minors this season.

Why in the world would you want him on the roster?

As I recall he was fairly decent with the glove. I wouldn't bring him up to solve our DH problems LOL 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by osforlife » May 4th, 2013, 2:37 pm

ofahn wrote:
We might just release him. The team has put Caleb Joseph back behind the plate so there really shouldn't be a spot for him at AAA or AA.

Agreed. I'd rather see other catchers in the system get at-bats over Exposito.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles