Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Machado remain a 3rd baseman?

Re: Should Machado remain a 3rd baseman?

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » April 27th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Here we go again..why this ravenous desire to trade hardy?? :roll:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by ofahn » April 27th, 2013, 7:04 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Here we go again..why this ravenous desire to trade hardy?? :roll:

Oh, PLEASE!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Rising O's » April 28th, 2013, 8:46 am

I'm still on the fence. While SS is the premium position, having him play 2014 at 3rd base, while keeping Hardy at SS for his final contract year, I might be tempted to let him remain at 3rd. Machado's flexibility does open possibilities for trades and free agent signings that could not be otherwise considered.
With what looks like another weak free agent class coming, a Michael Young stopgap signing for 2014 at 3rd, could be a good one.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #19 by ofahn » April 28th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Rising O's wrote:a Michael Young stopgap signing for 2014 at 3rd, could be a good one

A player like Young might have a good bat, but he's a bit weak with the glove at 3B for my tastes. IF I have to choose between between the two I pick glove.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » April 30th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Why anyone in their right mind would want to move Machado off third base is beyond ridiculous. This is the best Orioles' third baseman I've seen since Brooks Robinson. The kid is a natural. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by ofahn » April 30th, 2013, 12:41 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Why anyone in their right mind would want to move Machado off third base is beyond ridiculous.

So; you believe that moving a player that will produce around a .900 OPS during the core of his career back to his natural (which is a difficult to fill premium) position is a BAD idea? Interesting.

birdwatcher55 wrote:This is the best Orioles' third baseman I've seen since Brooks Robinson. The kid is a natural. 8-)

I'm sorry you didn't get to see Doug Decinces or Cal Ripken play.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by LA Detective » April 30th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I like what Hardy brings to the table. I do feel we can win with him If we straighten out the DH and 2b a bit. We can live with a GG type SS at the 9th spot hitting his once a week homer.

But for the future if we can get a 3b that is at least /or will be in the Chase Headly category on D and with the bat then this makes us that much stronger.

Bottom line is if we do move Manny, the 3b has to play top level D.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #23 by A_K » April 30th, 2013, 6:02 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Why anyone in their right mind would want to move Machado off third base is beyond ridiculous. This is the best Orioles' third baseman I've seen since Brooks Robinson. The kid is a natural. 8-)

You're missing (or intentionally ignoring) the point. Everyone agrees that he's a fantastic third baseman. And he should be! He's a short stop! Third base is an easier position than short stop. Or, said another way, short stop is a more important position than third base.

The discussion is about maximizing his value because we all agree about how good he is defensively. Not only can we get more defensive value by allowing him to play the position that requires more range and a better arm (two traits he possesses!), but it also increases his relative offensive value, since short stop is a position that produces less offensive output league-wide.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles