Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Machado remain a 3rd baseman?

Should Machado remain a 3rd baseman?

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2013, 8:03 pm

He looks so natural at the position. Our top infield prospect's best position is SS. Now Jon Schoop might be struggling so far, he could come a long way by season's end to put his name into contention as a starter in 2014. But as insurance we still have JJ Hardy at an affordable 7 million for 2014. Plus our farm system is lacking any 3rd base prospects to take Manny's place if he is moved off.

With the current state of our farm system, Machado's natural ability, and having JJ Hardy's solid glove, there is no doubt in my mind that Machado should remain a 3rd baseman, possibly for his career.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Should Machado remain a 3rd baseman?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 24th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Rising O's wrote:He looks so natural at the position. Our top infield prospect's best position is SS. Now Jon Schoop might be struggling so far, he could come a long way by season's end to put his name into contention as a starter in 2014. But as insurance we still have JJ Hardy at an affordable 7 million for 2014. Plus our farm system is lacking any 3rd base prospects to take Manny's place if he is moved off.

With the current state of our farm system, Machado's natural ability, and having JJ Hardy's solid glove, there is no doubt in my mind that Machado should remain a 3rd baseman, possibly for his career.

I think Schoop has a great bat, but I really do not believe he can stick at SS. And I have not spoken to a scout who thinks he will stick there, either.

I see Hardy leaving, Machado sliding over to SS, and Schoop coming into play 2B or 3B -- whichever they need. I think Schoop can play both third or second.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 24th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think Schoop can play both third or second.

Have you noticed that he's playing 2B at Norfolk?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2013, 10:07 pm

That's cool. Then why do you suppose the Orioles want to see him at SS this year? Wouldn't his development be better served to play the position they envision him playing? Or is his future role more like a supersub? I know Buck has talked about him in ways that sound like he is being groomed to play multiple positions.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Schoop has mostly started at SS for Norfolk.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » April 25th, 2013, 5:31 am

Rising O's wrote:Schoop has mostly started at SS for Norfolk.

FWIW- He's right, Schoop has only started games at 2B on 4/5, 4/6, 4/21, 4/23 and 4/24. No clue if it's because of an injury or they want him seeing time at both spots or just plain getting a better feel for the double play.

As for Machado, if he can be at least an average SS for a long time with his hit tool, then you absolutely move him to SS. Question is, can he handle it? The same question applies to Johnathan Schoop. Short Stop is just the toughest position to fill in MLB. JJ Hardy is a fine SS and even though his bat is anything but hot at the moment were he to be traded he should net a fine return.

Does that mean Machado slides over to SS no questions asked? I dunno, usually they enter a season with a plan at that position and don't risk injury scenarios with untested players at the position.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » April 25th, 2013, 7:22 am

Schoop is at AAA without a set position. And as an organization, when you have a player with his type of talent, I would think settling them in would make more sense than continuing to make him fit somewhere. If he's not a shortstop at the ML level, then why play him there at this stage of his career? Similar issue I have with Nick Delmonico, though his knee injury impacted his first season. Test these players, see where they look most comfortable, and start them there. Nick btw, is also butchering the hot corner early on but continues to show the hit tool.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by A_K » April 25th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Machado is a SS playing third. If he grows out of SS, so be it. Right now he should be playing the position that maximizes his value.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » April 25th, 2013, 3:16 pm

OK. Let's say JJ Hardy gets traded and Machado takes over at SS.

So who takes over at third?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:OK. Let's say JJ Hardy gets traded and Machado takes over at SS.

Right now there's no good answer to your question.

I'd assume that if Hardy is traded, the team would have a 3B ready (Schoop) or make another move to acquire one.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #11 by ofahn » April 25th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:OK. Let's say JJ Hardy gets traded and Machado takes over at SS.

One of the logical trade partners for hardy would be the Tigers which means we would probably insist on Castellanos. He might not be ML ready until mid 2014, but he has a ton of upside.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by A_K » April 25th, 2013, 5:58 pm

A third baseman.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #13 by rudyrooster » April 26th, 2013, 2:50 pm

We could probably re-acquire Josh Bell in exchange for a case of chicken fillets... :twisted:
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #14 by ofahn » April 26th, 2013, 3:06 pm

rudyrooster wrote:for a case of chicken fillets

For a case of out of date chicken fillets.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » April 26th, 2013, 8:54 pm

No, he should not remain the third basemen. He should be moved to short as soon as possible. Everyday Machado spends at third, the less likely he will transition to shortstop. He is capable of playing shortstop, and a quality shortstop is more valuable than a quality third basemen.

Manny Machado will be the shortstop in awhile, and that means there are question marks at second at third. It is helpful that Schoop can play both 2B and 3B, giving us more leverage in trade situations for a 2B/3B prospect.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles