Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Orioles May Be Dangling Zach Britton As Trade Bait

The Orioles May Be Dangling Zach Britton As Trade Bait

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 10:58 am

Nick Cafardo writes in his Sunday Boston Globe column that the Orioles may be offering Britton for pitching. WHY? If WE don't believe he's a ML SP at this point then how can we expect other teams to give us ML pitching for him?

Zack Britton, LHP, Orioles — As the Orioles look for pitching help, there’s an increasing feeling among baseball people that Britton, 25, is the arm the Orioles could dangle in a deal. Britton has begun the season well in Norfolk, 1-0 with a 1.98 ERA in three starts. He has allowed three earned runs in 13⅔ innings with seven walks and five strikeouts.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: The Orioles May Be Dangling Zach Britton As Trade Bait

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » April 21st, 2013, 11:40 am

An arm for an arm?

Something isn't right here. Britton may only be a back of the rotation type of talent who like everyone else to have pitched for Baltimore the past few years has had "Ups and Downs" However, when he's on he's a solid lefty that is a pretty solid ground ball guy.

Thanks for the article but the team isn't in such a position of strength in it's pitching that moving Britton seems all that likely. Especially for another arm. I could see SS/2B a consideration. Those positions are at least as difficult to find talent as LHSP. An OF? Maybe but it would have to be for an everyday type that is a pretty good talent.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 11:49 am

Old Sneakers wrote:An arm for an arm?

Something isn't right here. Britton may only be a back of the rotation type of talent who like everyone else to have pitched for Baltimore the past few years has had "Ups and Downs" However, when he's on he's a solid lefty that is a pretty solid ground ball guy.

Thanks for the article but the team isn't in such a position of strength in it's pitching that moving Britton seems all that likely. Especially for another arm. I could see SS/2B a consideration. Those positions are at least as difficult to find talent as LHSP. An OF? Maybe but it would have to be for an everyday type that is a pretty good talent.

Unless the team has just given up on Britton he should be one of the players we're using this season to find out about.

I don't see any team giving up quality prospects unless they get someone like Hardy or Jim Johnson in return; and I don't see us making that kind of trade until mid July, if at all.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 21st, 2013, 2:38 pm

I don't believe in him so I would be fine with dealing him. If they don't deal him this is his last chance for me. Show up or shut up.

Tillman looks to be a decent BOR starter and Matusz is a solid reliever but Arrieta and Britton look to be complete busts. They are the final remnants of the disastrous player development system that used to be in place here. What a shame because all four looked to have mid to top of the rotation ability at one time.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 2:45 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I don't believe in him so I would be fine with dealing him. If they don't deal him this is his last chance for me. Show up or shut up.

Tillman looks to be a decent BOR starter and Matusz is a solid reliever but Arrieta and Britton look to be complete busts. They are the final remnants of the disastrous player development system that used to be in place here. What a shame because all four looked to have mid to top of the rotation ability at one time.

IMO Tillman has more talent, but Britton has the better chance to be a successful ML SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by dan72 » April 21st, 2013, 5:30 pm

I give both Britton and Arrieta little to no chance to be effective major league starters. Perhaps they can be useful as relievers. I would not hesitate to trade either one. Their value is only going to drop as they get older. I think the issue with Britton has been injuries. There always seemed to be more going on with him than what was being reported.
I agree that the entire crop of "young arms" that have come through our system have either been over valued when we selected them or mis managed in our system.
Buck and DD have done their best to fix that situation. Lets all pray that Bundy and Gausman work out better than the previous crop.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 5:45 pm

dan72 wrote:mis managed in our system

That get's my vote.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » April 21st, 2013, 6:03 pm

dan72 wrote:Lets all pray that Bundy and Gausman work out better than the previous crop.

Yeah, hopefully. That is what we said about Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz when Cabrera, Loewen, and Liz failed. Our excuse when we rushed them was "oh well they have more talent than the last crop". Well, we're rushing Bundy & Gausman because "they just have more talent than the other four we have now". C'mon management, when will you guys learn? Who cares how good they are coming out of high school/college? Why don't we follow the young pitcher recipe of the smartest team in baseball, the Rays, and give our young pitchers one full year at each minor league level. All our young pitchers fail, and we rush them all. All of their young pitchers succeed, and they let them all season. Coincidence? Watch out, Bundy & Gausman could become the next Oriole failures.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 6:13 pm

osforlife wrote:Yeah, hopefully. That is what we said about Britton, Arrieta, Tillman, and Matusz when Cabrera, Loewen, and Liz failed. Our excuse when we rushed them was "oh well they have more talent than the last crop".

I absolutely agree that they were rushed.

osforlife wrote:Well, we're rushing Bundy & Gausman because "they just have more talent than the other four we have now".

I don't think we have rushed either of those guys. IMO, if we were rushing them they would be at AAA, not Bowie.

osforlife wrote:C'mon management, when will you guys learn? Who cares how good they are coming out of high school/college?

I think they HAVE learned. Rick Peterson is here for a reason.

osforlife wrote:Why don't we follow the young pitcher recipe of the smartest team in baseball, the Rays, and give our young pitchers one full year at each minor league level.

It should be CARVED IN STONE and placed on the desk of ANYONE who makes player development decisions.

osforlife wrote:Bundy & Gausman could become the next Oriole failures.

IMO that will only happen because of injuries. I'm not worried about Gausman, but Bundy's control issues cause me some concern.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » April 21st, 2013, 7:08 pm

The 7 walks by Britton is the real concern. He had such a great stretch in late August last year. That masterpeace against the White Sox made him look like a legit #3 in a playoff run. But that start in Sept. where the Yankees waited him out unitl he elevated his sinker showed how important control is to him. They beat him up pretty good.

I could see Gausman in the rotation by some time around the AS break. I think this would only be if he showed he has mastered what was needed. He seems the type that isnt far from doing that due to his FB command and plus off speed pitch. He has a ways to go though. I see he has been hit a bit lately.

Bundy maybe in the pen later in the year.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 7:52 pm

LA Detective wrote:I could see Gausman in the rotation by some time around the AS break.

If this happens we'll probably have written the season off.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » April 22nd, 2013, 7:17 am

LA Detective wrote:I could see Gausman in the rotation by some time around the AS break...

It's OK to blink once in a while. The eyes dry out if you don't. The only way we see Gausman in the rotation this year is if a catastrophe worse than the 2009 rotation takes place.

LA Detective wrote:Bundy maybe in the pen later in the year.

I honestly cannot see this scenario taking place. Bundy is yet to appear in a minor league game this season. He's got innings to build up and things to work on at AA Bowie and likely time needed in AAA. If he's really that talented, let him have some development time.

As for Britton, he's had ample time in the minors. What derailed him? I don't know. Same with Arrieta, both of these guys were not rushed to the majors. On the other hand Tillman and Matusz were, but enough bus trips to and from Norfolk have taken place at this point where someone needs to do some answering for failure.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » April 22nd, 2013, 11:26 am

I live in Boston and generally enjoy reading Nick's column but honestly I never found him to be that accurate. A lot of his speculation is fantasy 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by LA Detective » April 22nd, 2013, 11:54 am

ofahn wrote:If this happens we'll probably have written the season off.

Winning or losing I dont think Gausman or Bundy should be up until they are ready. I just think Gausman has the stuff and the command to be close. Probably just sharpen his slider. If that happens I honestly believe he will be one of our best 3 or 4 starters this year and that is even if we cure the 4th and 5th starter problem.. Mid to high 90s FB with a change up in the low 80s? Thats a Pedro type split. I just think he is real good and close. Closer than a healthy Bundy. Even if he is getting hit a bit right now. Not betting the house on it but I wouldn't be suprised either.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » April 30th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I think ZB's trade value dropped off the cliff after last night's performance in Seattle. I really wonder if the kid is totally healthy 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles