Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Done with Arrieta yet?

Done with Arrieta yet?

PostPost #1 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 21st, 2013, 2:34 pm

I know I am. It's always the same script: stretches of dominance ending with a meltdown. The Orioles have tried everything with him: different pitch selection, different delivery, better conditioning, biomechanical analysis, sports psychology... nothing has worked. He's 27 years old there's really no excuse for his inconsistency at this point. The O's should have traded Arrieta when they had the chance because at this point I don't see him as anything more than AAA SP depth.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Done with Arrieta yet?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 3:05 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I know I am. It's always the same script: stretches of dominance ending with a meltdown. The Orioles have tried everything with him: different pitch selection, different delivery, better conditioning, biomechanical analysis, sports psychology... nothing has worked. He's 27 years old there's really no excuse for his inconsistency at this point. The O's should have traded Arrieta when they had the chance because at this point I don't see him as anything more than AAA SP depth.

I feel your pain. I posted this on April 2nd:

I would like to see Arrietta get off to a good start so he becomes attractive to another team if we need to add an important long term piece this summer. I still think Britton becomes a solid #3 ML SP, and if Matusz's ceiling is as a lock down late reliever there COULD be worse results for a #4 draft pick.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » April 21st, 2013, 4:15 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:The O's should have traded Arrieta when they had the chance because at this point I don't see him as anything more than AAA SP depth.

I absolutely agree. 5 walks in 4+ innings and a hit batter. 5 runs scored on walks and hit batter. He only gave up 2 HITS. I hope he won't start another game in the near future for the O's.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » April 21st, 2013, 5:46 pm

I posted this on the newest game thread:
Honestly, why is Jake Arrieta pitching for the Baltimore Orioles? Every year, the Orioles bring a young pitcher north with them because they "figured it out" in SPRING TRAINING. Last year, it was Brian Matusz. SPRING TRAINING MEANS NOTHING. Brian Matusz was a terrible pitcher in 2011, yet, he is rewarded with a rotation spot in 2012. Jake Arrieta was a terrible pitcher in 2012, yet, he is rewarded with a rotation spot in 2013. When will they learn? Make these head-cases go to the minors and EARN their freaking way up to the majors. Jake Arrieta has not improved whatsoever from last year. In fact, I think he is even worse. Get this crap out of Baltimore and into Norfolk.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » April 21st, 2013, 6:56 pm

He should of been in AAA all along for a permanent fix. He needed to show that he could go 6+ starts or so in a row where he had complete command and know how to correct himself in game. I would hate to give up on him for the future but until he does this he will nver succeed. These are the games we shouldn't lose That was a struggling Dodger team that if he would of thown strikes and stayed ahead in the count he would of dominated.

I still think he is fixable and will be a very good starter for stretches but probably not in the Majors right now. We need that Starting Pitching depth we supposivley had to show up and/or get healthy to get us thru this stretch. JairJ, Britton? SJohnson is probably at least a few starts away as he needs to work his way back to the command he once had. Wada by June?

Tilman same as Arrieta but has no choice but to do it in the majors. We need him to take a step up like last year. Until the 4th and 5th starter start putting up numbers we are nothing more than a .500 team that will have a worn out bullpen down the road.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 7:55 pm

LA Detective wrote:I still think he is fixable and will be a very good starter for stretches but probably not in the Majors right now....Tilman same as Arrieta but has no choice but to do it in the majors.

I really believe we should start focusing on converting both of those guys into relievers. They could both be dominant late game pitchers IF they can just harness their control issues for about 25 pitches.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » April 22nd, 2013, 1:44 am

Honestly, as frustrating as it is. It's not time to bail yet. I do not know what he does on off days with the pitching coach but they absolutely have to work on him going after hitters. A flyout or a ground out is an out. Using 15 pitches to try and work some miracle strike out is a waste.

Over the winter we'd talked about this and many seemed to think this was a confidence issue. I don't believe that now. To be honest, I would rather see Jake Arrieta be a hittable starting pitcher that isn't struggling to get to the 6th inning. As is now, it's a disaster. He has to throw strikes and get to the next batter. As is now it is completely inefficient. Too many bad counts. Too many base runners. Above all else he is nibbling as if the strike zone is discovering the ark of the covenant.

I remember when he was in Norfolk prior to being promoted to the majors. He was dominant. Between then and now something changed. What was it?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » April 22nd, 2013, 11:28 am

I think we're stuck with JA until Stevie Johnson is ready. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » April 22nd, 2013, 12:05 pm

ofahn wrote:I really believe we should start focusing on converting both of those guys into relievers. They could both be dominant late game pitchers IF they can just harness their control issues for about 25 pitches.

Agreed. They both have the type of stuff that would be that much better out of the pen. Jake would sit from 95-97 and be forced to attack hittlers. Tilman a regular at 95. Being that Tilman is out of options we might see that soon. Problem is there is no room in the pen and none foreseen. I really dont want to see Hunter or McFarland in the rotation.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think we're stuck with JA until Stevie Johnson is ready

Prbabaly right. If Britton is the starter Wednesday and does well he might take Jakes spot the following week. That might leave one start left for Jake if he isn't replaced by someone this week.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 22nd, 2013, 12:14 pm

LA Detective wrote: I really dont want to see ... McFarland in the rotation.

I'd be curious as to why you feel that way about McFarland. So far this season all he has done is pitch reasonably well in difficult situations. In effect, he's this season's Steve Johnson so far and we're looking at Johnson as our next SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » April 22nd, 2013, 2:06 pm

I would rather not over-expose him. I think he fits well where he is due to smaller doses. As he gains experience his role could expand. Then again, if things don't change he might be a better option than the few non-strike thowers we seem to have.

I never looked at McFarlands back ground. If he was an inning eater in the minors then that would change my opinon. SJohnson seemed to go deep into games in the minors. Doesn't mean he can do it here but leads to a possiblity.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » April 22nd, 2013, 2:17 pm

LA Detective wrote:I would rather not over-expose him. I think he fits well where he is due to smaller doses. As he gains experience his role could expand. Then again, if things don't change he might be a better option than the few non-strike thowers we seem to have.

I never looked at McFarlands back ground. If he was an inning eater in the minors then that would change my opinon. SJohnson seemed to go deep into games in the minors. Doesn't mean he can do it here but leads to a possiblity.

IMO at some point you have to take off the training wheels and see what they can do. To me, the first step in that process would be to give McFarland the start on Wednesday and see how he handles it. I'd prefer that over a roster move.

FWIW - get in your Delorean and go back to this date in 2012. Then swap McFarland's name for Miguel Gonzales. Just think about that for a minute.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » April 22nd, 2013, 3:16 pm

Demoted to Norfolk this afternoon. Good riddance!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by LA Detective » April 22nd, 2013, 6:18 pm

ofahn wrote:FWIW - get in your Delorean and go back to this date in 2012. Then swap McFarland's name for Miguel Gonzales. Just think about that for a minute.

Funny and good point. And with 7 walks in 13ip I dont think Britton is ready for Wednesday anyway.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by thezeroes » April 22nd, 2013, 9:53 pm

LA Detective wrote:Funny and good point. And with 7 walks in 13ip I dont think Britton is ready for Wednesday anyway.

You do know that 4 of those seven walks came in his first start of two innings when he had that bleeding blister??
Since that start he has 11.2 innings with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts his ground ball rate for outs is 28 GO to ZERO fly-outs.

You also can look these things up on your own at: http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... 8&stn=true
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles