Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Thoughts on Roy Oswalt

Thoughts on Roy Oswalt

PostPost #1 by dan72 » April 18th, 2013, 6:33 am

I think most fans would agree that they are less than happy with the starting pitching so far this season, is a guy like Roy Oswalt a viable option? I know he has durability issues so Buck would have to manage his innings.
I'm not sure what he would want on a one year deal, which is all he is worth at this point. He is an upgrade over Jurgens and some of our other AAA options IMO.

Thoughts
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Thoughts on Roy Oswalt

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » April 18th, 2013, 6:39 am

If he's willing to pitch in AAA and understands he only gets to Baltimore in some ghastly scenario sure. However, the club likely has hope that Jurriens and Wada will pitch for the club at some point this year. Also Oswalt has had a fine ML career but I do not know that he would fair as well as Tillman and Arrieta have as a starter. Also I do not think he's a Jamie Moyer type. I think he's reached the end.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 9:30 am

Old Sneakers wrote:If he's willing to pitch in AAA

I agree that this is the only way I would sign him and I doubt he would accept those terms.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I doubt Roy Oswalt will accept a minor league assignment to AAA Norfolk. The Tides won't win him a major league championship. He has always been picky when it has come to free agency. If he really wanted to stay in the major leagues and win his desired championship, he would have been open to pitching in relief. I bet several teams would come calling if Roy Oswalt was pitching out of the bullpen. He has a nice career, but one cannot become picky towards the later year of his life.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by dan72 » April 21st, 2013, 5:39 pm

Roy Oswalt is 35 and probably only capable of 100-120 innings. He is dead set on being a starter and I think he has more value as a starter. It would take 4-5 million to sign him for half a season. The Indians are rumored to have interest in him with Jiminez struggling badly.
I think that if he is in shape he would be a nice addition to any team that is in contention. I know that his salary will strike a cord in the conservative arm chair GM, but I think Oswalt could be a nice bridge from where we are at now to when Bundy and Gausman are ready.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 21st, 2013, 5:54 pm

dan72 wrote: I know that his salary will strike a cord in the conservative arm chair GM

I think that most GMs would want to pay for actual performance and nor past success.

Oswalt is such a wildcard that the smart contract would be a modest guarantee (1M?) with incentives for games and innings. In effect, if he starts 15 or 16 games he'd earn about 3 to 3.5M for it. Anything else is a crap shoot.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » April 22nd, 2013, 11:29 am

He's washed up. Pass 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles