Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jair Jurrjens signed to minor league deal

Re: Jair Jurrjens signed to minor league deal

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » April 17th, 2013, 12:41 pm

If Arrieta continues to struggle my guess is Jurrgens gets the call soon. That #5 spot in the rotation is very shaky right now 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by A_K » April 17th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Would say there's a very healthy chance Showalter would go with Freddy Garcia if he was forced to dip into the minors for a replacement.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #18 by ofahn » April 17th, 2013, 7:56 pm

A_K wrote:Would say there's a very healthy chance Showalter would go with Freddy Garcia if he was forced to dip into the minors for a replacement.

Why do you believe that Garcia would be called up before Jurrjens?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by A_K » April 17th, 2013, 8:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
Why do you believe that Garcia would be called up before Jurrjens?

Don't think he'd be called up before him. I think they have an essentially equal chance of being the next one up. Why? I don't know. Neither of them are very good, both are on minor league contracts, Duquette made a point to acquire each of them. Jurrjens is getting paid a bit more, but Garcia was brought in after they had a month to watch Jurrjens pitch. Given all that, I just don't have a good idea of who would be first in line.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by Old Sneakers » April 18th, 2013, 2:48 am

None of the starting pitchers are looking all that fantastic at the moment. My guess is the team sticks with what they have for now until they've no choice but to make a move.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #21 by LA Detective » April 18th, 2013, 12:08 pm

I was one who would of passed on Saunders because I thought eventually he would be passed by and not be one of our top 5 but it is amazing how quickly our great SP depth went away. With JairJ and Britton not ready, Matusz to the pen, Bundy and SJohnson hurt, we have found ourselves in a situation where we might be a few weeks a way from making a move with Jake or Tilman. Even Gausman got hit hard the other day or he might of been the next in line. As Earl Weaver use to say, " you can never have enough ptiching!" Showing true at the moment. I think as long as either Jake or Tilman don't totally lose it they each have a few more weeks to get it going.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #22 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 12:44 pm

LA Detective wrote:I was one who would of passed on Saunders because I thought eventually he would be passed by and not be one of our top 5 but it is amazing how quickly our great SP depth went away. With JairJ and Britton not ready, Matusz to the pen, Bundy and SJohnson hurt, we have found ourselves in a situation where we might be a few weeks a way from making a move with Jake or Tilman. Even Gausman got hit hard the other day or he might of been the next in line. As Earl Weaver use to say, " you can never have enough ptiching!" Showing true at the moment. I think as long as either Jake or Tilman don't totally lose it they each have a few more weeks to get it going.

I agree with the majority of what you're saying, but I have said all winter long that we shouldn't count on Bundy or Gausman as SPs this year. That being said, I don't think that Gausman has been as bad as the numbers. His K/B ratio has been good, but he's been getting hit. This may be because he is working on refining his third and fourth pitches so he can be a legit ML SP. I just think Gausman will be ML ready before Bundy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by A_K » April 18th, 2013, 2:51 pm

I'd disagree that "it's amazing how quickly our great SP depth went away." Rather, I'd say we never had any great SP depth to begin with, and now people are finally realizing it. The same thing's happening with the bottom of our lineup, where the ST buzz was that we had enviable depth and options for our last roster spots, thanks to Duquette's scouring the streets for veteran free agents.

Our roster depth was always an illusion.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 6:03 pm

I was one to say we should have signed one veteran starter over the off-season. Without one, basically everybody that we throw into the back end of the rotation will be bad. Steve Johnson will be back soon, so maybe that will help. But, it is too early to demote anybody IMO. Although I believe Jake Arrieta should have never made this roster.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Let's suppose we HAD signed Saunders. He might have made a difference of four or five wins over what we will run through that spot. The problem is that the FO wanted to finally figure out what they had in "The Cavalry" and they couldn't do that if they filled the back end of the rotation with SPs that had to be kept on the 25 Man Roster.

As fans we were spoiled by last season and some of us were expecting that we would do better this year. The POTENTIAL for that was (and still is) there, but some players have regressed. I've said all winter that I didn't see this as a championship team and I still think we would be smart to consider trading Hardy and Jim Johnson in July for future pieces if the team is not playing at least .550 ball.

We should have a lot of our questions answered this year and we can starting building a winner this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 6:27 pm

osforlife wrote:I believe Jake Arrieta should have never made this roster.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 6:55 pm

I think we should have made a short team deals that brought in valuable free agents, but nothing over two years & too expensive. Over the off-season, and still today, I haven't given up on hope for a playoff spot this year. The Orioles could win the division, they could finish in last; who knows. I've predicted them finishing in third. With a couple of free agent moves; say Melky Cabrera & Brandon McCarthy, I think we have a pretty good chance of winning a wild card. But, the off-season is over and we are stuck with the team we have now. I were are out of contention by July, Hammel, McLouth, Hardy, and Johnson will be interesting trade pieces.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm

osforlife wrote:With a couple of free agent moves; say Melky Cabrera & Brandon McCarthy, I think we have a pretty good chance of winning a wild card

This won't come as news to you, but I don't think those two guys would have made enough of a difference and IMO their contracts would have clogged the roster for moves this winter when we should be making moves.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by osforlife » April 19th, 2013, 8:00 pm

ofahn wrote:
This won't come as news to you, but I don't think those two guys would have made enough of a difference and IMO their contracts would have clogged the roster for moves this winter when we should be making moves.

If we could have gotten them both on one year deals, that would have been fantastic. Play for the playoffs; sell if out of contention.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by ofahn » April 19th, 2013, 8:07 pm

osforlife wrote:If we could have gotten them both on one year deals, that would have been fantastic.

I agree, but that wasn't the market which is why we were smart for staying out of it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles