Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Strop

Strop

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » April 17th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Man this guy drives you craaaaaazy. One night he's lights out and the next he's all over the place. What's wrong with this guy??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Strop

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I don't think Strop should have participated in out of season events, especially after breaking down towards the end of the season. The best thing he could have done was rest his arm & build his legs. But, his velocity seems to fine and his SO/BB is good, he is just getting hit hard. It's completely normal for a reliever's production to vary from year to year. They pitch so little, it has to be hard to develop any consistency. Pedro has pitching six games into the season, let's not get concerned till the middle of may.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #3 by mikezpen » April 23rd, 2013, 6:55 am

He's pitched too well and has too much talent to even think about sending him down or parting w/him as I've seen some suggest.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » April 30th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Hunter and Strop need to switch places. Strop should be working things out 2 innings at a time in situations like last nights game. We lose the ability for Hunter to be the long man but we have McFarland for that and would be ok.. Right now I trust Hunter much more.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » April 30th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Not only that but Strop's struggles has and will cause more wear on ODay and JJ..We need to keep those two fresh.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 1st, 2013, 12:05 pm

I like your idea LAD, especially if Hunter is hitting 99-100 every night. Strop right now is just too erratic to put much faith in. It looks like he has entered Gregg territory in that you can't trust him unless you are or down by a bundle 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » May 1st, 2013, 6:18 pm

Last night was another example. If Strop is pitching well we dont see ODay....I still believe Gregg had alot to do with Strop's trouble last year. There was a point the first 3rd of the year Strop was in danger of being overused. I think there is a good chance he tired in August and as I heard Smoltz say that when someone gets tired they do other things to throw hard. This casues them to get out of wack. He hasnt been the same since.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » May 1st, 2013, 6:29 pm

Maybe. But I always thought Strop was wild, he was just more effectively wild last year until perhaps he got winded late.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » May 2nd, 2013, 12:05 pm

I don't have statistics in front of me but my take is Strop hasn't been used much this season due to his erratic form 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » May 2nd, 2013, 1:45 pm

He was brought in last night to mop up the 9th inning and walked 2 guys.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » May 3rd, 2013, 12:40 pm

That is very Gregg-esque :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » May 6th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Strop hasn't looked bad his last outings in Seattle and LA. Perhaps he is getting back on track 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » May 6th, 2013, 1:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Strop hasn't looked bad his last outings in Seattle and LA

I'm not sure that coming into a one run game (Sunday) and walking the first batter and then balking him into scoring position qualifies as a decent outing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #14 by LA Detective » May 6th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I thought Matusz should of stayed in there longer. If he doesn't pitch enough he might start getting bored. Plus he can get righties out (even that HR he gave up against Oak. That was a change up darting below the knees. They guy went down and got it. Gotta tip your hat).

Of course Buck put Strop in the pressure spot and it worked. Maybe builds something from there.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » May 6th, 2013, 7:41 pm

LA Detective wrote:Buck put Strop in the pressure spot and it worked

Let's just say we dodged a bullet. Strop was anything but effective and a combination of luck and poor base running allowed him to avoid coughing up the lead.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles