Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Made Extension Offer To Matt Wieters

Re: Orioles Made Extension Offer To Matt Wieters

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » April 14th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I would have to think Boras is looking for something that would take Matt thur 2020 or so.. He plays such a demanding positon that we would be in great danger of a bad contract for the last 3 yrs or so of the contract....I do think he is our MVP and I wouldnt mind paying him thur 2018. Not Mauer or Posey money but a fair amount behind them. I would like to see us make a decison soon though. I do think he will have a couple 30 HR seasons. Once he does the price keeps going up. At least at this point we can leverage the non Mauer/ Posey money due to lack of that type of offense.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by Old Sneakers » April 15th, 2013, 12:51 am

Basic Compensation under the current rules explained
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130212&content_id=41560238&c_id=mlb

Right now the fan base wants Weiters signed to a long term contract. However, going beyond 6 years seems somewhat crazy considering Catchers usually end up with knee problems. When you figure that Weiters is likely to get top dollar it's really nuts to commit that long term.

While it might be a public relations issue for the not to savvy part of the fan base. The team may have to go to arbitration over and over with him. When he hits free agency make a one year qualifying offer to get a draft choice for him.

Or... as ofahn suggested try to deal him if the team is struggling in the standings around the all star break this year or next in exchange for a ML piece and the best package of prospects you can get. I like Matt Weiters, he's an excellent Catcher and good offensive contributor regardless of this early slump he seems to be in. This Mauer with Power garbage is hype. He isn't Joe Mauer.
Personally if his agent has his own plans and the Orioles are just being worked. I would favor trading him.

I still think the team is not in a position to make a sustained run at the playoffs. If the team can better itself long term by taking some short term pain and making a deal then so be it. We've still too many ifs and buts to tie up the payroll for 8-10 years.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Who is looking down the road ten years?? Let's stick with more immediate and say 4-5...That said, I would offer Wieters a 6 year deal because that is what it's going to take to keep him in Baltimore for 2016 and beyond. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by ofahn » April 15th, 2013, 1:11 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would offer Wieters a 6 year deal because that is what it's going to take to keep him in Baltimore for 2016 and beyond.

Please read the thread again before you express this as a differing POV.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 5:32 pm

LA Detective wrote:I would have to think Boras is looking for something that would take Matt thur 2020 or so.. He plays such a demanding positon that we would be in great danger of a bad contract for the last 3 yrs or so of the contract....I do think he is our MVP and I wouldnt mind paying him thur 2018. Not Mauer or Posey money but a fair amount behind them. I would like to see us make a decison soon though. I do think he will have a couple 30 HR seasons. Once he does the price keeps going up. At least at this point we can leverage the non Mauer/ Posey money due to lack of that type of offense.

Looking at Duquette's track record, I doubt this lingers beyond 2013 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles