Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Interested in Julio Borbon

Orioles Interested in Julio Borbon

PostPost #1 by osforlife » April 14th, 2013, 5:20 pm

The Orioles have interest in trading for Borbon, but the asking price is high. The out-of-options outfielder posted a .304/.349/.433 slash line for Triple-A Round Rock in 2012. Recently, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan suggested that the Rangers might get a reliever in return for Borbon.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/r ... ioles.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ju01.shtml
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Interested in Julio Borbon

PostPost #2 by osforlife » April 14th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Even with Connor Jackson retiring & Steve Pearce struggling, it seems a bit odd that DD is going after an outfielder. Anybody would love to receive a 27 year outfielder with speed & noticeable power, but don't the Orioles have enough outfield depth? If he were to be on the big league roster, I'm not sure what role he would have. Borbon would probably be an upgrade over Jason Pridie, but at what cost do you upgrade an already deep outfield?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 14th, 2013, 5:31 pm

When I read this story today my first thought was: WHY?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » April 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Only thing I can think of is that they are looking for more "deals" like Chris Davis. Where the player needs a change of scenery.

Otherwise this could be some sort of 3 or more teams trade in the works and the Orioles are a possible part of it.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 14th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Makes zero sense. Have starting OFs in place with solid depth. Plenty of options that wouldn't cost them anything so why go out and get Borbon?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by mikezpen » April 15th, 2013, 4:20 am

The O's have outfield depth in the minors but nothing beating down the door to come up here-particularly at the lead-off spot where the Orioles need some help.Borbon has hit for a real good average everywhere he's been even if he hasn't flashed much power. McLouth's stats as a lead-off hitter aren't that much, and he's only signed thru this year anyway.The O's could use a good lead-off hitter.

I was really liking this guy till I saw those OBP numbers. His lifetime is .324 in the majors and only .357 in the minors. His OBP was only .349 in the hit-happy Pacific Coast League last year.I'm less than thrilled about him at this point.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I find this trade report a bit puzzling. Another fourth OF??? Seems like we have a few of those LOL 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 17th, 2013, 2:12 pm

12:50pm: The Orioles won't pull the trigger on a Borbon trade, tweets Heyman.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 5:41 pm

A trade for him wouldn't make much sense anyway. He would be a upgrade over Jason Pridie but he wouldn't have a spot on the Orioles & it would be tough to get him to the Tides.

Jason Pridie:

29 years old
would average 9 steals in 162 games
.230 .306 .378 .685 in MLB
.276 .318 .431 in AAA

Julio Borbon:

27 years old
would average 30 steals in 162 games
.283 .324 .358 .681 Borbon in MLB
.304 .360 .415 Borbon in AAA

I see the either the Astros or the Twins picking him up, most likely the Twins. The Astros actually have a pretty crowded outfield, but they could claim Borbon and cut Rick Ankiel. For the Twins, Aaron Hicks is struggling badly.
Last edited by osforlife on April 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 18th, 2013, 5:46 pm

osforlife wrote:A trade for him wouldn't make much sense anyway. But heck, if he falls to us in the waiver order, I'd claim Borbon and cut Jason Pridie.

I believe that Borbon doesn't have any options left which is why Texas was forced to move him. If we claim him we'll have to run him through the rest of the waiver process in order to send him to AAA.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » April 18th, 2013, 6:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
I believe that Borbon doesn't have any options left which is why Texas was forced to move him. If we claim him we'll have to run him through the rest of the waiver process in order to send him to AAA.

Thanks, I didn't realize that; I'll fix it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles