Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Made Extension Offer To Matt Wieters

Orioles Made Extension Offer To Matt Wieters

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Orioles Made Extension Offer To Wieters
By Steve Adams [April 3, 2013 at 3:33pm CST]

The Orioles recently offered a contract extension of at least five years to Matt Wieters, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. However, Heyman adds that there is no evidence that the two sides are anywhere near an agreement. Wieters is a client of the Boras Corporation.

Wieters, who can become a free agent following the 2015 season, avoided arbitration with the Orioles this offseason by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $5.5MM. Heyman notes that the bar for catchers has been raised significantly with Buster Posey's extension, but it's safe to say the two aren't exactly comparables. Posey already has a Rookie of the Year, an MVP and two World Series titles under his belt. His .317/.384/.509 batting line from 2010-12 is also far superior to Wieters' .253/.326/.423 performance during that same span.

A look at MLBTR's Extension Tracker shows that catchers with between three and four years of service time have typically signed extensions worth $15-16MM. That's too low for Wieters, whose salary is already north of $5MM. A number closer to Miguel Montero's five-year, $60MM contract with the Diamondbacks could be more reasonable, though Montero was just one year from free agency when he signed that deal.

Link to the rest of the article http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/o ... eters.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Made Extension Offer To Matt Wieters

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » April 3rd, 2013, 9:16 pm

This is going to be an ongoing story line for us fans. Weiters is entering the prime of his career and holds all the cards on this. You add to that his agent is known to be able to maximize deals for his clients and in my opinion manipulate salaries for players all throughout MLB and it's going to be tough to get it done.

I'm a Matt Weiters fan. He's everything you want. No two ways about it though, it's going to cost big money.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by osforlife » April 3rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

I'm all for a Matt Wieters extension. The O's have him under control for 2014, 2013, and 2015. That would cover his 27, 28, and 29 year old seasons. I'd be happy with an extension through the 2018 season. So that would cover his first three free agent years and his 30, 31, and 32 year old seasons. After the 2018 season is when Adam Jones's contract, Buck Showalter's contract, and Dan Duquette's contract, and Dylan Bundy's contract expire. So that could be a possible year. As for production, he'll probably win a few more gold gloves behind the plate & possibly hit to a .800 OPS. As for money, Yadier Molina signed a 5 year/$75M contract before the 2012 season. They are about the same offensively, but Wieters has had a lot more power production in his career, but Molina provided a bit more of an on base threat & speed threat.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » April 4th, 2013, 12:09 pm

The only positive I see right now, besides we're talking, is we have him under club control through 2015. I would hope this doesn't turn into another Mussina situation and probably won't with Dan Duquette around. Dan's track record is to get the stars signed long term. Possey has set the bar for catchers now let's see where Wieters lands. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 12:20 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would hope this doesn't turn into another Mussina situation

That's up to Wieters, he ahs complete control over whether he wants to stay here.

IMO a 6/90M contract with vested option years would be fair for both sides, but Boras rarely cares about fair. Joe Mauer's contract is already a train wreck for the Twins, and it will only get worse. We just don't need that if we want to be a winner over the next decade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » April 6th, 2013, 10:09 am

ofahn wrote:
That's up to Wieters, he ahs complete control over whether he wants to stay here.

IMO a 6/90M contract with vested option years would be fair for both sides, but Boras rarely cares about fair. Joe Mauer's contract is already a train wreck for the Twins, and it will only get worse. We just don't need that if we want to be a winner over the next decade.

If you want to be a winner over the next decade, you need to sign Wieters. It's the cost of doing business at a pivotal position, which I liken to the quarterback position in the NFL. A solid catcher can control a game. 6/90 seems fair but I would be willing to go up a little to make this happen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 6th, 2013, 10:51 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:6/90 seems fair but I would be willing to go up a little to make this happen

Fine, but where do you draw the line? At what point does a fair contract become a franchise wrecker?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » April 13th, 2013, 10:33 am

The Orioles would be willing to give Wieters six years in an extension, reports Buster Olney ESPN.com (on Twitter). Olney further notes, however, that there is no momentum in the long-term extension discussions between the O's and their star catcher.

This is what I was afraid of. IMO six years is a fair offer, but Boras may be looking for six years beyond the end of the Orioles control date, which would make this an eight or nine year extension. If I were the team I would walk away from that proposal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/o ... eters.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » April 13th, 2013, 2:41 pm

"We'll enjoy him while he's here,"

OK so I guess I will have a look at catchers that are draft eligible over the next couple weeks then...
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 13th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:"We'll enjoy him while he's here,"

OK so I guess I will have a look at catchers that are draft eligible over the next couple weeks then...

Or start thinking about another "Bedard" trade. Wieters should be worth AT LEAST that and more if we trade him before the July 31st deadline.

I would negotiate up to the last week of July and then make the trade. The Braves, Cardinals, Mets are the first teams I can think of off the top of my head that have a farm system with the kind of prospects he would be worth.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » April 13th, 2013, 8:57 pm

If a trade were to go down. It would have to be a big market team with money to spend. Especially if it is a Bedard like trade. No one is going to offer us a payload for Weiters for a year and a half.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » April 13th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:No one is going to offer us a payload for Weiters for a year and a half.

He's under control through the 2015 season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » April 13th, 2013, 10:57 pm

OK 2 and a half. Same difference though. He would have to go to a team willing to spend to retain him. Have prospects and the ability to handle a huge payroll.

Im too tired and distracted to look up the new collective bargaining agreement with free agency. Though I seem to recall the compensation is significantly different. If Weiters wants to remain. he's going to get more opportunities to work out a deal. Though I am not so hopeful after reading the above article. DD, might as well consider shopping him.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » April 13th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Wieters needs to prove he can do a little more with the bat. He's struggling again to start the year. He's had a couple of nice finishes the last two years to give him the appearance of respectable numbers.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by ofahn » April 14th, 2013, 7:53 am

Old Sneakers wrote:OK 2 and a half. Same difference though.

Actually, it's a big difference. It should mean getting at least one EXTRA top prospect in return.

Old Sneakers wrote:He would have to go to a team willing to spend to retain him.

Not really. The team that acquires him might see Boras' contract demands as being as insane as we do. They simply make him a qualified offer, get a draft pick, and let some other team sign him to a bad contract.

Old Sneakers wrote:Have prospects

Goes without saying.

Old Sneakers wrote:and the ability to handle a huge payroll.

Not really. He's probably looking at salaries of about 9M and 13M over the next two seasons. Most teams could afford that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles