Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Just for fun~ Name Three Prospects you wish the Orioles had

Just for fun~ Name Three Prospects you wish the Orioles had

PostPost #1 by Old Sneakers » April 9th, 2013, 12:05 pm

The game is simple list three players that are in the minor leagues that you wish the Orioles had in their farm system.
(For the sake of fun, please stick to prospects that have not made their major league debut yet)

Here is mine

Billy Hamilton Cincinnati Reds
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hamilt002bil

Likely the next Ricky Henderson that is not a complete train wreck! This young man is going to be a star in LF soon!

Kolton Wong St. Louis Cardinals
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=wong--001kol

Another star in the not too distant future. Has a shot to be the next Lou Whitaker!

Hak-Ju Lee Tampa Bay Rays
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lee---001hak

Already a plus defender, he may also become a pretty solid #2 hitter! Maybe a lead off type in a year or so (Maybe).

To be honest I am watching these three closely. All are very close to being ML ready and each is a potential star. Taking it further, I would offer each prospective team these guys player for Jake Arrieta, Kevin Gausman and of L.J. Hoes (for Hamilton), Johnathan Schoop (for Wong). For Hak-Ju Lee I would only offer Arrieta and Gausman.

Sadly each team would shoot the idea down in a heartbeat.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Re: Just for fun~ Name Three Prospects you wish the Orioles had

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » April 9th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I wouldn't mind Jackie Bradley Jr. Nice looking prospect with a lot of upside. I also like Matt Barnes in the Sox system 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:The game is simple list three players that are in the minor leagues that you wish the Orioles had in their farm system.
(For the sake of fun, please stick to prospects that have not made their major league debut yet)

Here is mine

Old Sneakers wrote:Kolton Wong St Louis Cardinals

Another star in the not too distant future. Has a shot to be the next Lou Whitaker!

IF we're not in contention in July I could see us trading Hardy for Wong.

Old Sneakers wrote:I would offer each prospective team these guys player for Jake Arrieta, Kevin Gausman and of L.J. Hoes (for Hamilton), Johnathan Schoop (for Wong). For Hak-Ju Lee I would only offer Arrieta and Gausman.

IMO Hamilton is NOT worth Gausman.

Old Sneakers wrote:Sadly each team would shoot the idea down in a heartbeat.

Again, IMO IF we offered Gausman for Hamilton the Reds would make that trade in a s**t hot minute.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » April 9th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Without bringing anyone down on the new season. I don't think the team is set for a good 4-5 year playoff run. I think we've too many holes to think that way.

I have a feeling Hamilton is going to be a true lead off hitter. The Ricky Henderson remark is a little out of whack and I know it. However, he look like he's going to be an above average hitter and get more than a good share of doubles. Power, remains to be seen what he will be in 4-5 years time. Perhaps only 10-15 HR per year to start climbing into that 15-20 range as he matures. The kid draws walks and is reported to be a solid bunter. His speed is plus and he actually can play.

Wong is going to be a sensational player in my opinion. Lou Whitaker may be unfair, but I do not think far off the mark. Save a link to this thread you can laugh at me if I'm still alive.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by osforlife » April 9th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Jurickson Profar- would hands down take over second base for the Orioles at the start of 2014

Nick Castellanos- easily capable of taking over third base in two years after Machado transitions to short

Christian Yelich- easily capable of taking over RF after Nick Markakis leaves

*this is my 1000th post. Orioles-Nation has been a blast
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 9th, 2013, 10:11 pm

osforlife wrote:Jurickson Profar- would hands down take over second base for the Orioles at the start of 2014

Nick Castellanos- easily capable of taking over third base in two years after Machado transitions to short

Christian Yelich- easily capable of taking over RF after Nick Markakis leaves

*this is my 1000th post. Orioles-Nation has been a blast

And I'm glad you enjoy it.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 9th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Does Jose Fernandez count? He's made his debut, but he's so nasty. Can't even imagine a rotation with Bundy, Fernandez, and Gausman.

But, for players who have not debuted:
- Oscar Taveras
- Xander Bogaerts
- Gerrit Cole
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by A_K » April 10th, 2013, 1:28 am

Profar, Taveras, Sano.

RF Markakis
2B Profar
CF Jones
1B Davis
C Wieters
LF Taveras
3B Sano
SS Machado
DH Reimold

Oh mama.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » April 10th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Does Jose Fernandez count? He's made his debut, but he's so nasty. Can't even imagine a rotation with Bundy, Fernandez, and Gausman.

Nope. No fair. Consider it a sac fly.

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:But, for players who have not debuted:
- Oscar Taveras
- Xander Bogaerts
- Gerrit Cole

Love me some Oscar Tavera! He's a star in the making easily.
Not so familiar with Xander Bogaerts, though his stats tell me he could walk more often and shave a few K's off his stats.
With Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon the Pirates are pretty comparable to the Orioles. He's a great prospect, but he'd be even better were he a lefty. Pretty weak drawback isn't it?

A_K wrote:3B Sano

Miguel Sano is likely when all is said and done going to bat 4th or 5th in any lineup. Great power for a 3B and good at getting on base. I bet by year three (once he reaches the majors) people would hiss your name and screech loudly at the notion of him batting that far down any lineup! :lol:
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:The game is simple list three players that are in the minor leagues that you wish the Orioles had in their farm system.

Here is mine

Billy Hamilton Cincinnati Reds
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hamilt002bil

Likely the next Ricky Henderson that is not a complete train wreck! This young man is going to be a star in LF soon!

Kolton Wong St. Louis Cardinals

Hak-Ju Lee Tampa Bay Rays
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lee---001hak

Already a plus defender, he may also become a pretty solid #2 hitter! Maybe a lead off type in a year or so (Maybe).

To be honest I am watching these three closely. All are very close to being ML ready and each is a potential star. Taking it further, I would offer each prospective team these guys player for Jake Arrieta, Kevin Gausman and of L.J. Hoes (for Hamilton), Johnathan Schoop (for Wong). For Hak-Ju Lee I would only offer Arrieta and Gausman.

Sadly each team would shoot the idea down in a heartbeat.

As I continue to read this thread I have come to accept the quality discussion it's developed. It's certainly worth a POINT and I'm sorry it took me so long to recognize that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by A_K » April 10th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Miguel Sano is likely when all is said and done going to bat 4th or 5th in any lineup. Great power for a 3B and good at getting on base. I bet by year three (once he reaches the majors) people would hiss your name and screech loudly at the notion of him batting that far down any lineup! :lol:

You're right, he was way too low.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Baltimore Orioles