Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What Is The Biggest Reason We Have Started So Poorly?

Re: What Is The Biggest Reason We Have Started So Poorly?

PostPost #16 by Rising O's » April 9th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Putting a lesser hitter batting 1st. Put Markakis back there where statistically over his career he is at his best. Not only does him getting on base help Machado, it moves all the power hitters we have up one spot potentially giving them an extra at-bat per game.

4 & 5 starters pitched poorly. We battled after falling behind but ultimately lost close games.

Pearce is proving to be a AAAA player. He played his way on the team, I would rather have had Jackson's proven MLB production, but that was a tough call.

Pen, Johnson especially has been shaky at times. There was a feeling the game was over last year to starting the 7th with a lead or tied, but that is no more.

Injuries. I knew this was going to be a problem. And now the team is looking to fill holes that should have been addressed in the off-season imo. This is going to be a drag on the offense especially.

We could have a better record but we are just not playing well enough all around to win close games, that is the difference.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #17 by Seafordeagles » April 9th, 2013, 10:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
...are you saying that about four random hits in 63 innings has made all the difference?

I gave you my opinion which is what the title of the thread asked. I'm still trying to find anywhere that I stated about 4 random hits in 63 innings, when it reality it's only one hit from the DH.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #18 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 7:13 am

Old Sneakers wrote: Failing to Manufacture runs.

IMO our inability to manufacture runs last season cost us a trip to the World Series and has been the primary problem this year, too. Multi run homers are great, but getting a runner from 2B to 3B with no outs and then home with another out is what makes the difference between a good team and a championship one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 7:16 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
I gave you my opinion which is what the title of the thread asked. I'm still trying to find anywhere that I stated about 4 random hits in 63 innings, when it reality it's only one hit from the DH.

You expressed concern that the #8 hole was only 1 for 23. My point was; if that same slot gave us four more random hits and went 5 for 23 (a decent average), would that have made as much difference as something else?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by Seafordeagles » April 10th, 2013, 7:34 am

ofahn wrote:
You expressed concern that the #8 hole was only 1 for 23. My point was; if that same slot gave us four more random hits and went 5 for 23 (a decent average), would that have made as much difference as something else?

I never said the #8 hole anywhere or expressed concern for the #8 hole. Please look back at the my previous posts. I clearly said the DH position.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 8:18 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Please look back at the my previous posts. I clearly said the DH position.

You're correct. So, my adjusted question stands; You expressed concern that the DH spot was only 1 for 23. My point was; if that same slot gave us four more random hits and went 5 for 23 (a decent average), would that have made as much difference as something else?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Seafordeagles » April 10th, 2013, 10:39 am

Since I can't tell you the situations when the DH came up, (men in scoring position, etc) I don't know. Maybe with your expertise you can shed some light on it.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 11:14 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Since I can't tell you the situations when the DH came up, (men in scoring position, etc) I don't know. Maybe with your expertise you can shed some light on it.

In order to do that I would have to agree with your hypothesis, which I don't.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Seafordeagles » April 10th, 2013, 3:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
In order to do that I would have to agree with your hypothesis, which I don't.

Just par for the course. I post one hit from the designated hitter spot as an issue. Is it the only reason they have started so poorly, no. It certainly has not helped.

Personally I would have never started a thread after 7 games on "the biggest reason we have started "so poorly" when the team is 3 and 4. It's totally jumping the gun on a small sampling of the 2013 season. Again one hit from the designated hitter spot is an issue and a factor for the teams "poor start" (poor start are your words not mine).
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Just par for the course. I post one hit from the designated hitter spot as an issue. Is it the only reason they have started so poorly, no. It certainly has not helped.

Personally I would have never started a thread after 7 games on "the biggest reason we have started "so poorly" when the team is 3 and 4. It's totally jumping the gun on a small sampling of the 2013 season. Again one hit from the designated hitter spot is an issue and a factor for the teams "poor start" (poor start are your words not mine).

We're all entitled to our opinions and, if we express them in a collegial manner, we will have an enjoyable forum.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Old Sneakers » April 10th, 2013, 3:45 pm

ofahn wrote:
IMO our inability to manufacture runs last season cost us a trip to the World Series and has been the primary problem this year, too. Multi run homers are great, but getting a runner from 2B to 3B with no outs and then home with another out is what makes the difference between a good team and a championship one.

To me, manufacturing runs and fighting off pitches to stay alive each at bat go hand in hand. I think it was opening day against David Price Weiters had a brilliant at bat where Price had to throw like 13 pitches to get him out. At bats like that can befuddle even the best pitchers and run up pitch counts. It's fatigue and winning by attrition! The sooner a team has to go to the bullpen. Or a quality SP's pitch sequence is out of wack... Good things happen!

I can remember those porous 1987-1991s Orioles teams that almost needed three consecutive singles to score a run some nights. I suspect it's a problem that isn't given enough due in the minor leagues that still to this day affects the major league team. It's also why I am higher on prospects with bat speed. Those players tend to survive a little longer in the batter's box.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #27 by ofahn » April 10th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:To me, manufacturing runs and fighting off pitches to stay alive each at bat go hand in hand.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Seafordeagles » April 10th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

ofahn wrote:
We're all entitled to our opinions and, if we express them in a collegial manner, we will have an enjoyable forum.

I think it goes a little further than that. Let's just leave it as is and please heed your own advice. I know I will in the future.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #29 by Old Sneakers » April 10th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Fellas, fellas...

Disagreements are OK in my book as I am sure it is in everyone's. I just think sometimes we express our disagreements a tad strongly and they are taken too personally. I'm sure you both respect one another just fine. Remember, it's a common interest and we aren't trying to safely engineer a cure to some devastating disease destroying all life on earth.

;)
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #30 by Seafordeagles » April 10th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Fellas, fellas...

Disagreements are OK in my book as I am sure it is in everyone's. I just think sometimes we express our disagreements a tad strongly and they are taken too personally. I'm sure you both respect one another just fine. Remember, it's a common interest and we aren't trying to safely engineer a cure to some devastating disease destroying all life on earth.

;)

Point noted. Thank you.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles