Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What Is The Biggest Reason We Have Started So Poorly?

What Is The Biggest Reason We Have Started So Poorly?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 8:11 am

I have my own ideas on this and have stated them on other posts. What's YOUR opinion and WHY?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: What Is The Biggest Reason We Have Started So Poorly?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » April 9th, 2013, 8:17 am

Absolutely no production from the DH.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Zach » April 9th, 2013, 8:34 am

I think the onus has to fall on the starting pitching. The numerous pitchers we had go through the rotation last year pitched beyond what could be expected. This year thus far we rank last in the AL for starting pitching in terms of ERA and are only in front of the Breweres, Padres, and Phillies in the majors. I understand that ERA isn't the be all end all, but our Defensive independent ERA ratio is second worse in the AL with only the powerhouse Yankees rotation below us. To have success, Hammel is going to have to step up and take that next step. He is not an ace, but he needs to build on the steps he took last year. It is time for Tillman and Arrieta to really take that next step (improve control and awareness of situation) or it is time to move on. We have the pieces for a great rotation in the next few years, but right now we need to have realistic expectations given the makeup of this rotation.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 8:47 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Absolutely no production from the DH.

PLEASE explain WHY you believe that's the problem.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 8:50 am

Zach wrote:I think the onus has to fall on the starting pitching. The numerous pitchers we had go through the rotation last year pitched beyond what could be expected. This year thus far we rank last in the AL for starting pitching in terms of ERA and are only in front of the Breweres, Padres, and Phillies in the majors. I understand that ERA isn't the be all end all, but our Defensive independent ERA ratio is second worse in the AL with only the powerhouse Yankees rotation below us. To have success, Hammel is going to have to step up and take that next step. He is not an ace, but he needs to build on the steps he took last year. It is time for Tillman and Arrieta to really take that next step (improve control and awareness of situation) or it is time to move on. We have the pieces for a great rotation in the next few years, but right now we need to have realistic expectations given the makeup of this rotation.

In your opinion how many of the seven starts have been bad, and which ones?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » April 9th, 2013, 11:03 am

Several reasons

* Too many ground outs- The team hasn't been too bitten badly by double plays. However, there also hasn't been much in the way of sacrifice fly balls. (Chris Davis may have started out ultra hot but he's also been a ground ball machine)

* Somewhat shaky starting pitching. Chen and Gonzales have been solid. Very shaky after these two.

* Failing to Manufacture runs.

* Too many stranded base runners.

* Brian Roberts is again injured.

* Manny Machado is not ready to bat second.

* The bench hasn't been producing much (Flaherty, Cassila, Pearce, Teagarden haven't had good starts to the season)

I think the biggest reason is what I was griping about last month. No true lead off hitter. Nick Markakis IMO is really a #2 guy that is doing an admirable job. However, it's not his ideal spot.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by A_K » April 9th, 2013, 11:45 am

Nothing really to say after 7 games. Let's see where we are come late May and have this conversation then.

Though, I'd be lying if I said I haven't been cursing every time our black hole of productivity at the bottom of the lineup, courtesy of Flaherty and Pearce, comes up to flail away at a few pitches and take a seat again.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » April 9th, 2013, 11:54 am

No question: timely hitting. The pitching has been very good especially the last two games. Chen made one bad pitch on Monday but otherwise was stellar. We also have three bats on the shelf (Betemeit, Nolan and BRob). That has limited Buck's options. If we can stay above water or close to it this month (tough schedule ahead), I see us taking off come May when we get our injured guys back 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » April 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Jones catches the fly ball Sunday and anybody but Ayala pitches in game 2 and we are 5-2 instead of 3-4...

There are some concerns the first week. Back end of the roation and produciton from the DH. And where did all of our depth suddently go? With Bundy, Britton, Johnson dinged up and Matusz in the pen we suddenly got short in pitching. We had good 2 out hitting but it seemed like too many times we left a runner at 3rd with less than 2 outs.

But there was some positives. We bring a defensively strong team to the field everyday to give us a chance to win. I think Jones, Weiters and Davis have all grown into their potential. I could see the trio combining for 100HRs and 300 RBIs...We wil have a good offense but we need to do a better job of adding on runs...We could have a great offense if Manny matures at the plate this year and Reimold stays healthy and knocks off some of the rust.

The concerns are fixable and I am sure Buck/DD will take care of them. We will go as far as our Starting Pitchers take us this year. That part is still unknown and unproven.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 12:36 pm

LA Detective wrote:We will go as far as our Starting Pitchers take us this year. That part is still unknown and unproven.

This is EXACTLY what I have been saying all winter and, IMO, is the reason we were smart NOT to sign a bunch for "free" agents to franchise wrecking contracts until we know what we have on this team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » April 9th, 2013, 4:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
PLEASE explain WHY you believe that's the problem.

How about 1 for 23, no rbi's, no runs, no production. It's pretty self explanatory.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by thezeroes » April 9th, 2013, 5:36 pm

The second place hitter in the lineup has ben Manny Machado. He has an OBP of .250. I know it is early but this looks/feels like a Hardy rendition.

The batter hitting eighth in the order has yet to get a hit and only gotten on base twice via a walk. This OBP of .071 is unacceptable after 28 plate appearances.

To have continuity to the lineup the second and eighth place hitters need to maintain an OBP above .275 preferable .300/.320. Until this is achieved scoring will be hit or miss in the second/third inning along with the fifth/sixth inning. To throw away these two innings early in a game will cause more losses than wins.

In the batting order seven thru nine has an OBP of .226 and adding Machado to that only gives you three possibly four innings in a game to score. We should thank the hitting of Davis/Wieters/Jones/Markakis/McLouth that we have scored at all. The remaining hitters have not done much.

That is my take on the Offense.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #13 by dan72 » April 9th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Our starting pitching is VERY suspect....look at all the teams that went deep into the playoffs, they all had an ace, a true #1 pitcher. Even the Yankees had Sabathia. The last time the Orioles were good, we had Mussina as our ace. I admire our low payroll strategy, but playing moneyball will only get you so far. Pitching and defense almost always wins out.
Hammel is probably a 3 on a good team, Chen and Gonzalez are likely 4's or 5's. Couple the starting pitching with some shakey bullpen work and you get some 1 run losses.
Our hitting plays well with the exception of no DH. Its to bad management could not piece something together for this season since Bundy and Gausman are not ready just yet. This lack of a Dh was predictable also. I completely agree that this team will go as far as the starting pitching will take us.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by ofahn » April 9th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
How about 1 for 23, no rbi's, no runs, no production. It's pretty self explanatory.

...are you saying that about four random hits in 63 innings has made all the difference?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » April 9th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Of course, we are not playing the best ball right now, but we are only a week into the season. The Colorado Rockies could be 6-2 after tonight for god sakes, and we all know they won't be playing .750 ball this season. With act of luck here or there we could be 4-3 or 5-2. It is just too small of a sample size to really predict or analyze anything. We'll discuss this topic in three weeks. The Baltimore Orioles are 7th in runs scored & 20th in runs allowed. So, the pitching hasn't been that great. But, who knows, maybe the pitching will be our strong point this year. Maybe our hitting will be among the worst in the league. I'm not willing to base anything off of seven games.

I would like to say, however, that Pearce & Flaherty look terrible at the plate. The DH spot is going to be weak with Betemit out. Also, I do not like Hardy's & Reimold's approaches at the plate, at least for right now. Hardy is way off the plate and is a pull hitter. That doesn't really seem to be a good combination. Reimold is trying to pull everything. He is at his best when he is going to all fields, as is basically every hitter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles