Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Anyone Else Willing To Admit They Were Wrong About Chris Davis?

Anyone Else Willing To Admit They Were Wrong About Chris Davis?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » April 6th, 2013, 5:51 pm

I posted this about the trade when it happened (see bold print).

Post #6 by ofahn » July 30th, 2011, 5:01 pm

I'm pleased and surprised by this deal.

My guess is that the 2M we're giving Texas got us Hunter and, if he were the only player involved I would have been happy. I can't remember the last time this team gave money to get a better prospect in a trade.

To me, Davis is a throw-in and we should not stop looking for a 1B prospect (Yonder Alonso?). At this point it will probably be a winter acquisition.

I was wrong because Chris Davis has worked hard to become a better hitter. He has talked about how he worked the winter before the 2012 season on hitting the other way and it showed last year. So far this year two of his home runs have been to the opposite field. He's SO strong that he can put it out of any park just by getting a decent swing at it, and that includes waiting long enough to take an outside pitch the other way.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Anyone Else Willing To Admit They Were Wrong About Chris Davis?

PostPost #2 by A_K » April 7th, 2013, 1:05 am

At the time I didn't like the deal bc I thought they could get more value if they were willing to take prospects instead of major leaguers. Obviously Davis isn't going to hit like this all year, or anywhere close to it, but I was definitely wrong about the trade. MacPhail got great value out of Koji.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » April 7th, 2013, 1:37 am

No one new that Chris Davis was going to supply as much offense as he has so far (this and last year). Wrong is a little harsh. Why would you have thought he was anything more than OF depth?

It just turns out to be a really astute move overall. Hunter is a solid reliever and capable (if needed) starting. With Davis though, I really suspect a change of scenery and opportunity suited him more than anyone. If he proves to be durable and continues to work at becoming a better first baseman, and is just a solid player at the plate then this is a fantastic acquisition!

I won't ask him to bat .275/ .350/ .500 With 35 HRs this year... Just be a solid offensive contributor that will fight to get a single instead of weeks of slumping and he's a fine fit!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » April 8th, 2013, 11:31 am

I was a bit indifferent at the time of the trade, leaning more towards not liking it because of Koji. I still have a concern with Davis' defense at 1B, which cost us a win Saturday night. Hopefully he gets better with the glove as the season progresses. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by A_K » April 8th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:No one new that Chris Davis was going to supply as much offense as he has so far (this and last year). Wrong is a little harsh. Why would you have thought he was anything more than OF depth?

I think this is mostly right on. However, I think my personal perspective was in fact "wrong" because it wasn't necessarily based on Davis and Hunter specifically, but on the premise that the McPhail should have acquired prospects because their risk-reward profile made more sense for a team headed for a last-place finish. As it turned out, they correctly identified Davis as a major leaguer who had the unrealized upside normally associated with a prospect. For that reason I think my perspective on the trade was off base.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by osforlife » April 8th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I honestly cannot remember how I initially felt about the Koji trade. Obviously, I loved Koji; who didn't? He was FANTASTIC out of the bullpen. I'm pretty sure he basically rid of the slider once he became a relief pitcher, and it was amazing to watch a 88mph "rising" (c'mon, it appeared to rise and you all know it) fastball constantly blow right by hitters, only to wing in a DIRTY splitter every once in awhile. By the way, was there a reason he did not record ONE SAVE for us in 2011. Koji makes Jim Johnson's and Kevin Gregg's numbers look like garbage; well, Kevin Gregg is garbage.
2011 Koji Uehara: 1.72 ERA/0.702 WHIP/4.8 H/9/7.75 SO/BB
2011 Jim Johnson: 2.67 ERA/1.110 WHIP/7.9 H/9/2.76 SO/BB
2011 Kevin Gregg: 4.37 ERA/1.642 WHIP/8.7 H/9/1.33 SO/BB

I understood we, a last place team, had no legit need for Koji, other than having so much fun watching him pitch. So, it was the right decision to move him. At the time, I had only heard of Chris Davis' & Tommy Hunter's names, but I had never seen them play. I always enjoy learning of new players I previously had not truly known about, so I must have been a little giddy looking up their stats & learning I was going to watch them play. I was quickly astonished of Chris Davis' AAA numbers: .337 .397 .609 1.006 lifetime batting line at AAA & 24 bombs in 48 games during the 2011 season. I take a low payroll GM approach to baseball decisions, so naturally I wanted to give Chris Davis a true full season in the majors, as I did with Nolan Reimold. By the way, Chris Davis was made expendable because of Mitch Moreland.

2012 Chris Davis: .270 .326 .501 .827
2012 Mitch Moreland: .275 .321 .468 .789
Not to mention, both are equally defensive players, so...OUCH.

As for Tommy Hunter, I hadn't truly grasped some of the vital pitching statistics like FIP, HR/9, SO/BB. All I really looked at was his ERA of 4.10 in '09 & 3.73 ERA in '10, pitching in a hitter's park in Texas. I thought he was going to be a stud. Turns out, he should never come close to a major league rotation again, and really should be regulated to strictly one inning stints. He still can't throw a pitch below the belt, but he will be able to get away with that more if he is throwing 97mph instead of 94mph in long relief, or 91mph in a starting role.

I did not hate the trade at the time, although I frankly cannot really remember. I hated to see Koji go, but I understood why he had to go. It has turned out to be a very good trade by Macphail, as has several of his trades.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles