Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Showalter on the new warning track

Showalter on the new warning track

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 6th, 2013, 10:46 am

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... pdate.html

I think this is really, really interesting. When people criticized Jones' UZR, I always remember people argued his UZR was much better on the road. We'll definitely see a jump in the UZRs of Markakis and Jones this year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Showalter on the new warning track

PostPost #2 by A_K » April 6th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Saying this will "definitely" result in better UZR numbers for Markakis and Jones is overstating things a little. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. Either way, it's certainly an interesting angle because, you're right, their numbers were always worse at home.

What I don't understand is why Buck and the front office would care about improving their UZR in rhe first place. It's just a measurement. Improving it doesn't improve their actual production (compared to the opposition). If their numbers are worse than their actual production, wouldn't it be best to take advantage of the information asymmetry and keep it to yourself? Unless you're trying to trade players, and want their league wide value to go up, it's beneficial to keep what you know to yourself by allowing the rest of he league (and the players' agents) to continue to rely on the flawed numbers.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Baltimore Orioles