Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

Re: Chris Davis Is SMOKING Hot

PostPost #16 by ofahn » April 5th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:You make it sound so easy. Have you ever seen pitches start out in "one" location and "end up" somewhere else? It's a very hard thing to lay off.

...and yet, some players do it very well. It's called plate discipline and it's what separates the good from the great.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by ofahn » April 5th, 2013, 5:49 pm

I guess when the game is tied in the bottom of the Eighth and the bases are loaded you HAVE to pitch to him.

UNREAL!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » April 5th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Please change the thread title to read : Chris Davis has reached melting point!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #19 by A_K » April 5th, 2013, 6:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
...and yet, some players do it very well. It's called plate discipline and it's what separates the good from the great.

There's no question that plate discipline separates the good from the great.

But it's a skill, a matter of ability, just like running fast or hitting for power or throwing a good curveball.

It's wrong to represent the issue as merely a matter of patience. Players can't suddenly begin laying off a low and away slider any more than they can begin hitting more home runs.

Changing your approach at the plate isn't something that can be changed simply by wanting to. Players can improve, just as they can improve the routes they take to fly balls or their ability to keep a fastball low in the zone, but a hitter with a poor approach can't just develop a good approach because a coach explains to them the value of a walk, or the value of being selective. Just like no amount of explanation of the difference in positional value between 1B and 2B can make Prince Fielder a middle infielder.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by Old Sneakers » April 5th, 2013, 6:25 pm

What I know on that issue is Time/Repetition/Bat Speed help an awful lot. Nick Markakis probably has the best pitch recognition on the team as well as being the most disciplined. Why it is that he's good at this whereas so many others are not is something I've never read any article on.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #21 by ofahn » April 5th, 2013, 7:45 pm

A_K wrote:no amount of explanation of the difference in positional value between 1B and 2B can make Prince Fielder a middle infielder

I think that those last 75 lbs MIGHT have something to do with it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by A_K » April 5th, 2013, 7:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think that those last 75 lbs MIGHT have something to do with it.

Yes, that's my point.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles