Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brian Roberts leaves with knee injury

Brian Roberts leaves with knee injury

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 4th, 2013, 4:49 pm

This really sucks. Hate to see him go down again; because he's been hurt so much and because he's been playing really well. Hope it's not too serious because it does look like Roberts has something left in the tank.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Brian Roberts leaves with knee injury

PostPost #2 by A_K » April 4th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Watching him clutch his knee while there was complete silence from the announcers' booth was very difficult.

It didn't look good that he couldn't put any pressure on the leg, but let's hope something flukey happened and he's OK. Stand up guy who's worked his tail off to keep playing over the last few years.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 4th, 2013, 5:01 pm

A_K wrote:Stand up guy who's worked his tail off to keep playing over the last few years.

Man, I really feel for him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » April 4th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Stand up guy? He used steroids and lied about it. Then made a flimsy excuse when the light was shined upon him.
We all knew this was going to happen, I just hope the Orioles are prepared to make a quick decision on the DL.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by A_K » April 4th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Rising O's wrote:Stand up guy? He used steroids and lied about it. Then made a flimsy excuse when the light was shined upon him.

I'm not willing to define him as a human based on that information. That said, it's possible I don't have enough information to say whether Roberts or any other athlete is or isn't a stand up guy.

So I'll just say I've always liked him, and leave it at that.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by osforlife » April 4th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Does anybody know where I can get the video to his injury? I missed the game.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by A_K » April 4th, 2013, 7:33 pm

A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » April 4th, 2013, 7:50 pm

The Orioles are reporting a Hamstring Injury. How did all that become about steroids?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by dan72 » April 4th, 2013, 8:07 pm

With Casilla and Flaherty ready to go I dont think we will miss him to terribly. I think some sort of breakdown was predictable, although I thought we would get a little further into the season.
Anyone clinging to the hope of a Roberts return to form needs to turn the page. Its not happening.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by osforlife » April 4th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the video link A_K. That doesn't look good. I hope he is alright.

So, I've been looking on baseball-reference at Alexi Casilla stats. He isn't as bad as I initially thought. His dWAR jumped last year. He had been an average defender up to 2012, and then became a really productive defensive contributor. His 2011 offensive season was effective too. If he could ever put together his 2011 offensive season, and his 2012 defensive season, we could have a solid producer at the top or bottom of the lineup. I'll be happy with 25 steals, a .650 OPS, and solid defense from Casilla.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » April 4th, 2013, 8:56 pm

dan72 wrote:With Casilla and Flaherty ready to go I dont think we will miss him to terribly. I think some sort of breakdown was predictable, although I thought we would get a little further into the season.
Anyone clinging to the hope of a Roberts return to form needs to turn the page. Its not happening.

I think the guy is 35 years old. I do not think anyone expected 50 doubles and a ton of steals. However, the hope is the he wants to extend his career and earn another contract here or elsewhere. Lets see what happens in the coming days before we condemn him to another lost year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » April 4th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Rising O's wrote:Stand up guy? He used steroids and lied about it. Then made a flimsy excuse when the light was shined upon him.

Do you actually think that is relevant to this injury? C'mon man, you have to be better than that.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » April 5th, 2013, 6:28 am

Its the elephant in the room not that my comment was meant to start a discussion about steroids. Anyone who cheats to win is not a stand up guy in my opinion. That is all.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #14 by A_K » April 5th, 2013, 12:20 pm

I'm not sure it's really an elephant in the room, which suggests it's a huge deal that people are conveniently not discussing. In my case, and I imagine in the case of many others, it's somewhere between irrelevant and an unfortunate incident in the past. It's not something I think or care about. It's unimportant to me.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » April 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Just for review...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-te.sp.roberts18dec18,0,769248.story

The guy had two more first rate seasons 2008 + 2009 by this time I believe Baseball had the following policy in place...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_drug_policy

Now am I saying that "A young Brian Roberts was a saint"? No, but at the same time if he was using performance enhancers long term then certainly he would have been a far better player than he had been in his prime. He screwed up, faced scrutiny a few years later and came clean about it.

To suggest that his injury history (2010-present) has anything to do with performance enhancers is pretty weak in my opinion. He's 35 years old! Honestly, you sign any position player at 35 and you end up getting half a season's worth of games (81), then you really got lucky!

He's out 3-4 weeks with a hamstring. He may well repeatedly re-injure it throughout the season. We deal with it. It will be much easier than Mark Reynolds batting line, the 2009 starting rotation, the SS fiasco of 2008 and our "Third baseman of the future Josh bell"

It's a part of life
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles