Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

quick look at some potential choices

quick look at some potential choices

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » March 31st, 2013, 10:52 am

We have two selections at #22 and #37. I'd look for the Orioles to choose a player who will move through the system quickly to complement their new core of Machado, Bundy, Gausman, Shoop, Wieters.

Marco Gonzalez nothing about him says superstar but he is the type of #3 LH pitcher every organization would love to have and should be a quick mover to the MLs to complement Bundy and Gausman's power pitching.

Jonathan Crawford with the right tweaks could be your #3 power RH pitcher.

Bobby Wahl, a safer pick than Crawford, with not as much potential upside as Crawford.

Colin Moran, solid hitter and defender at 3b.

Hunter Renfroe, ideal lead-off hitter and CF. Seems to have put it together in his Jr season.

PS still early for HS players
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: quick look at some potential choices

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2013, 7:18 pm

Would love to see us draft a legit power hitting outfielder, which this organization desperately needs :D
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » March 31st, 2013, 9:26 pm

Phillip Ervin is a possibility.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » March 31st, 2013, 10:17 pm

To Rising O's: You've more guts than me as I too have been trying to get a beat on the upcoming draft. However, it's so incredibly convoluted. You couldn't have paid me to start a thread just yet. :lol:

Best Link I have found to day with some thought:
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/22/4013450/2013-mlb-draft-top-100-draft-prospects

Also keep an eye out here where Don Olsen (Whom is a member here) contributes from time to time. Usually some good info regarding high school kids is posted.
http://bullpenbanter.com/

If I had to list a few prospects I thought the Orioles might have interest in Round 1 (22) and the Competitive Balance choice (37)

John Paul Crawford, SS, California HS (Also commonly listed as J.P. Crawford) - SS/2B are two of the toughest positions to draft, develop and turn into everyday contributors. This is anything but a thrilling class for SS or 2B so this kid will go in the first round even with a poor senior year.

Robert Kaminsky, LHP, New Jersey HS - He's not the Big prototypical SP prospect, but the team has need of LHSP and while it will be a wait. He looks like he could become a solid back of the rotation type.

Marco Gonzales, LHP, Gonzaga, JR - College version of Kamisky. Not going to be a TOR type in anyone's mind but still could become a solid SP with less of a wait.

Chris Rivera, SS, California HS - Another middle infielder with a fine bat. Just young and as always it's questionable what position he stays at.

Cord Sandberg, OF, Florida HS - This year's version of Bubba Starling (not quite as hyped). Does he go to school? Play football? Or want to have a safer career on the diamond?

Jacoby Jones, OF, Louisiana State, JR - A lot a varying opinions on this young man. Though I've a feeling he shoots up draft boards.

Matthew McPhearson, OF, Maryland HS - Local kid, that looks like a future lead off candidate. However, is he going to school? Are scouts sold on him?

Near as I can tell it's not a really talented or deep draft class. A number of high upside High School Catchers exist. Though it's a long way 5-6 years at least to develop them if it all works out. Also there doesn't appear to be a great deal of toolsy raw talents out there at any position (Listed this early). The Orioles scouting department will have it's hands full making sense of a very convoluted spring high school and college season.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » April 1st, 2013, 9:05 am

It'll be a little more fun to choose a few players to follow, maybe pick the right one we end up drafting. April is when the HS season really starts so your list will be getting profile updates very soon and hopefully some new videos.

HS LHP Matt Krook is a name you hear with the word steal if he makes it to the end of the 1st round.

LSU RHP Ryan Eades has helium. Might have put it all together.

S Car RHP Ryne Stanek, a name that was top 5, is sliding into the 2nd half of the 1st round due to command and control problems with secondary pitches.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 8:09 am

I'd like to see them use our two top picks to add (1) a college SP that should be ML ready by spring training 2015; and (2) a HS power hitter with at least average defensive skills. After that it's a lot of guessing and hoping.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » April 4th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Give me a top flight college hitter (OF) for starters. At least one good one should be available. I would like for us to address a long term solution for LF and have one ready in two years in the event Nick starts breaking down 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » April 9th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I will be adding Links as time goes on regarding players that might be available as I find them. I will try to shy away from links that appear written by the hype machine (Beware of SB Nation) and focus on the ones that appear insightful regarding prospects.

Phillip Ervin OF Samford
[url]
http://baseball.blogdig.net/archives/ar ... rsity.html[/url]

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/16/3961766/2013-mlb-draft-profile-phillip-ervin-of-samford
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » April 9th, 2013, 9:50 pm

If you are looking for a hitter Ervin is a good choice. Might remind some of a smaller Adam Jones type of outfielder.

Jonathon Crawford with a poor start to the year should be there for us. If his problems are simply mechanical and injury is not an issue, he has the type of arm that a coaching staff would love to have. The Orioles could look at him as 3A.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... e-baseball
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » April 11th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Early April rankings fodder. Essentially linked so as the draft approaches we have "Just one more list" to have a peak at. It's all guess work right now unless your paying some professional scouting firm to list you who, where, and why.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1282161.html

What really makes things tricky is the rules regarding hard slotting. No more "Big Money" over slot deals to toss at HS players. Either a player is willing to sign or is not. Last year we saw a huge run early in the draft of college talent and I think that will be the case again. Last year's 5th round pick Colin Pouche elected not to sign and went to college. A huge loss for the Orioles as he was a fine prospect. I do not want that happening again this year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » April 15th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm starting to think the Ravens' strategy is the best strategy: best athlete (in this case best player) available. As bad as we need a power hitting outfielder in the system I would not pass on a potential TOR guy either 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » April 27th, 2013, 2:52 am

Marco Gonzales continues to be a pitcher who can probably get to the MLs fairly quickly and stay there for awhile. The question is, will his lack of wow stuff push him into the 2nd round? He's a safe pick if the Orioles are looking to add a LHP to go with their two top prospect power righties.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » April 27th, 2013, 9:53 am

Hunter Renfroe's show of power following a strong summer has perhaps moved him out of range for us at 22.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » April 27th, 2013, 10:12 am

Mock draft on blecher report:

I could see the Orioles rolling the dice on one of them, but not both

22. Baltimore Orioles: Jason Hursh, RHP, Oklahoma St.

At 6’1”, 197-pound right-hander, Hursh is another major wild card in the draft class after missing the entire 2012 season recovering from Tommy John surgery. While he’s a high-ceiling arm with plus fastball velocity and a hard, wipeout slider, Hursh’s medical history and inconsistent command could cause him to slide down the board on draft day.

37. Baltimore Orioles: Jonathan Crawford, RHP, Florida

Regarded as one of the top arms in the draft classes headed into the season, Crawford’s stock has taken a hit this spring due to a drop in velocity and the overuse of his swing-and-miss slider. The 6’1”, 205-pound right-hander still offers potential, but needs a strong finish to avoid falling out of the first round. It seems as though it will ultimately come down to whether a team believes he’ll return to his 2012 form.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » April 29th, 2013, 10:43 pm

A look at Austin Wilson (Links for your entertainment). I've seen this guy gone in the top 10-15 and falling until after pick 25. At this point the mock drafts are still just for fun and mean nothing. That said, why not have a look at another very good outfielder?

As always, when looking at prospects consider the source. This player in particular has had a single "scouting report" written up on him and then plagiarized by multiple sources. So what is pure conjecture on someone's part is in some quarters being taken as gospel. I keep hoping as we get closer we will see more insightful write up articles from legitimate scouts.

http://www.bbprospectreport.com/2009/11/04/austin-wilson-report
(just a tad dated)

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/austin-wilson.html

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2013/4/9/4203296/draft-prospect-austin-wilson-of-stanford-university
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to MLB Draft