Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Various Orioles Notes

Re: Various Orioles Notes

PostPost #31 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2013, 1:11 pm

Without injuries, I'd guess Matusz would be sent down when Tillman comes up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #32 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 3:50 pm

osforlife wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if Machado puts up numbers like this. He didn't dominate at any minor league level and he completely skipped AAA. I expect a drop in offensive & defense production. One rarely does not come into the major league and have the same MLB average as minor league average right away without being more aggressive, thus sacrificing walks. Also, he didn't slug .445 in the minor leagues, but did it in the major leagues. Lastly, he played shortstop all his life, and even a bad shortstop at Bowie, but then comes in and plays gold glove defense at THIRD?

You make a good point, but some players simply play up to the challenge. Maybe Machado is that kind of guy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #33 by Old Sneakers » April 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

osforlife wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if Machado puts up numbers like this. He didn't dominate at any minor league level and he completely skipped AAA. I expect a drop in offensive & defense production. One rarely does not come into the major league and have the same MLB average as minor league average right away without being more aggressive, thus sacrificing walks. Also, he didn't slug .445 in the minor leagues, but did it in the major leagues. Lastly, he played shortstop all his life, and even a bad shortstop at Bowie, but then comes in and plays gold glove defense at THIRD?

In an ideal world he would have had more development time. It is what it is though. If he gets a ton of at bats it will sort itself out long term. He will have to work hard on plate discipline and pitch recognition. We will just have to live with slumps from time to time until he's a finished product.

As for the power potential, I personally am least concerned with that. Three years from now we will have an idea of what he is with that. For now I do not want him becoming a strike out machine and I want him fighting off pitches, staying alive and drawing walks. He seems to have enough bat speed. He should be able to make strides there. Otherwise he runs the risk of becoming another young ground / pop out machine.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #34 by mikezpen » April 3rd, 2013, 10:09 am

Machado's the guy I feel could get nailed w/the "sophomore jinx"-hope I'm wrong.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #35 by birdwatcher55 » April 4th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Machado is not going anywhere 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles