Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Bundy's velocity is down

Re: Bundy's velocity is down

PostPost #16 by docjj » March 31st, 2013, 11:48 pm

"Elbow tightness"....

Uh Oh.

Here comes trouble....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #17 by Old Sneakers » April 1st, 2013, 3:44 am

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/03/dylan-bundy-dealing-with-mild-elbow-issue.html

He's not on the trading block. He's not on any timetable (real one anyways) to get promoted to Baltimore. So until we get real news, it's just "One of those things"
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #18 by A_K » April 1st, 2013, 1:39 pm

The clean MRI is very good news. I really didn't like the sound/look of decreased velocity followed by reports of elbow soreness.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #19 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 8:24 am

Old Sneakers wrote:http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/03/dylan-bundy-dealing-with-mild-elbow-issue.html

He's not on the trading block. He's not on any timetable (real one anyways) to get promoted to Baltimore. So until we get real news, it's just "One of those things"

I've been consistent in saying that it was naive to expect that he would be an important part of our ML rotation for an extended period this year. IMO ST 2014 has ALWAYS been a more reasonable target date.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » April 2nd, 2013, 12:20 pm

Everyone needs to relax.. until he visits Dr. Andrews :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by Old Sneakers » April 2nd, 2013, 5:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
I've been consistent in saying that it was naive to expect that he would be an important part of our ML rotation for an extended period this year. IMO ST 2014 has ALWAYS been a more reasonable target date.

Honestly, I think he's a post all star game call up in 2014. This team has depth. There is literally no hurry. Thank God for that! As I would really become irate if he stalls and becomes another Brian Matusz.

If a year from now the velocity hasn't returned then we worry. For now it's secondary pitches and getting a feel for more advanced pitch sequences.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by A_K » April 2nd, 2013, 5:48 pm

I'm perfectly fine with Bundy staying down all year. I'm fine with him staying down for half of next year. Whatever the proper aging curve for him is, I'm fine with it.

But I should note, amidst all this talk of being sure not to rush him, that every professional talent evaluator I've seen has said that Bundy is ready to pitch in the big leagues now, or that he'll certainly be ready by midseason. So everyone should be aware of the fact that according to the people whose job it is to watch prospects and determine when they should be promoted, it would not be rushing Bundy to bring him to the show sometime this year.

Just because he's young, doesn't mean he's being rushed. Every player follows his own timeline, and according to people whose job it is to make these declarations, Bundy's timeline suggests he's just about ready for the big show.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by Old Sneakers » April 2nd, 2013, 6:01 pm

Meh, I don't trust those "talent evaluators." I think it's the great hype machine at work. Yes, Dylan Bundy has exceptional talent. He isn't however, a finished product. You promote him to the big leagues any time soon in any capacity right now and no matter how good his stuff is. He's gonna get rocked!

He can improve his command/control. Iron out his secondary pitches. See a return in velocity and get exposed to much more advanced hitting before he is even considered for Baltimore. If he wants a wiff of major league baseball this season then he had better pay up his MLB TV subscription. He's a huge investment for the team. He's got a ML Contract. He's fine in Bowie till he's ready for AAA.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by A_K » April 2nd, 2013, 7:51 pm

OK. Well just be aware that many people who have seen him far more than you and who's job it is to decide when someone is ready to pitch in the majors hold a different opinion.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 8:17 pm

A_K wrote:every professional talent evaluator I've seen has said that Bundy is ready to pitch in the big leagues now

As a reliever, yes; as a SP, not yet. He doesn't have command of enough pitches yet to go through a ML order three times yet and his control would have his pitch count at about 115 to get 18 outs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 2nd, 2013, 9:00 pm

Bundy may be major league ready, but that does not mean he does not have more development to do in the minors. Of course, he could still probably develop while pitching successfully in the majors, but I'd rather see him refine his offerings and command more before he pitches in the majors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #27 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 2nd, 2013, 11:54 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Bundy may be major league ready, but that does not mean he does not have more development to do in the minors. Of course, he could still probably develop while pitching successfully in the majors, but I'd rather see him refine his offerings and command more before he pitches in the majors.

Hallelujah! That's the beauty of the Orioles current pitching depth. Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, and Britton were all rushed because of a lack of ML pitching depth. You could have argued at the time that all four were capable of pitching in the major leagues at the time of their call up (probably not as capable as Bundy is right now but still) but no doubt they could have used more seasoning in the minors (Britton still looks like he has trouble when there's a runner on second base). It's all but guaranteed that Bundy and Gausman won't be rushed and I couldn't be happier about it.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #28 by mikezpen » April 3rd, 2013, 8:35 am

I know some want to see Bundy and Gausman this year.With all the other depth the Os have, it w/b bad news if they had to call up one or both of those guys.It would probably mean the other starting pitching is failing,I wouldn't want to see that.

I'd like for both of them to stay down another full year and develop in the minors.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #29 by ofahn » April 3rd, 2013, 8:50 am

mikezpen wrote:I know some want to see Bundy and Gausman this year.With all the other depth the Os have, it w/b bad news if they had to call up one or both of those guys.It would probably mean the other starting pitching is failing,I wouldn't want to see that.

I'd like for both of them to stay down another full year and develop in the minors.

I agree with your POV; however, I'd like to just say this - it would be bad new ONLY if we HAD to call them up because we had no other choice and we should keep them in the minors ONLY until they're legitimately ready to succeed at this level.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles