Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Various Orioles Notes

Re: Various Orioles Notes

PostPost #16 by ofahn » March 31st, 2013, 7:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Now can we sign Wieters long term???

That all depends on Wieters and if he wants to sign a contract the team can live with. If he wants a Joe Mauer kind of deal he's not going to be an Oriole for life.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by ofahn » March 31st, 2013, 7:37 pm

LA Detective wrote:Buck mixes and matches in the pen with 13 for now

IMO carrying 13 pitchers is a TRAVESTY. If our starting five do their job properly we would only need 11.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » April 1st, 2013, 7:35 pm

Article up on the Orioles website that has Manny Machado batting second. Some folks will say it's hardly surprising considering he's "So talented"

While he may be just that. To bat second you gotta be really good at getting on base and advancing runners. I would not have thought him ready for that. Any thoughts?

Also I think 13 pitchers is high as well. I understand they want to keep McFarland. However, that seems like a wasted spot unless Buck thinks the rotation is a mess.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #19 by Rising O's » April 1st, 2013, 8:00 pm

Good spot for Machado if he can continue to do what he's done in ST.

13 pitchers is too much and why Matusz needs to be in AAA.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #20 by LA Detective » April 1st, 2013, 8:01 pm

Batting 2nd is a great spot for anyone in maximizes their potential. With a leadoff guy that gets on alot, which we will have, and good 3 and 4 guys, the two spot see's alot of fat pitches. I think Buck would like Manny to take advantage of that. I remember when a young ARod batted 2nd and was great. Your right on the OBA though..Hopefully a .290/.340 oba split with some pop will keep him at 2. Besides, I would guess that Manny showed enough in ST that he is probably one of our 5 best hitters right now. That is what I read about BR batting 9th. Buck just has a great way of spinning it in a positive.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #21 by LA Detective » April 1st, 2013, 8:06 pm

speaking of batting #2, how would you like to bat #2 in the Angels line up...The guy may never see a 3 ball count..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #22 by A_K » April 1st, 2013, 10:20 pm

Carrying 13 pitchers is a travesty if they do it for any sustained period. For now I'm going to assume they're doing it for five days (four games) until Tillman comes off the DL, at which point McFarland will go back to Cleveland, Ayala will be traded, or Matusz will be sent to AAA. So for now I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. We're just playing roster games about two months earlier than normal.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #23 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 1st, 2013, 10:34 pm

A_K wrote:Carrying 13 pitchers is a travesty if they do it for any sustained period. For now I'm going to assume they're doing it for five days (four games) until Tillman comes off the DL, at which point McFarland will go back to Cleveland, Ayala will be traded, or Matusz will be sent to AAA. So for now I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. We're just playing roster games about two months earlier than normal.

Agreed!

Glad to see Buck has Markakis as the leadoff hitter. Manny hitting second is likely only going to happen against lefties.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #24 by mikezpen » April 2nd, 2013, 4:02 am

I w/rather have Casilla here as the utility infielder and Flaherty in the minors developing.I think that guy could be real good, long term and has more of an upside than Casilla.And I also don't know if he's developed enough at this point to present much of a bat coming off the bench here.Trouble is, Betemit is gone for a good part of the year, and I don't know what they have in the way of a utility guy in the minors who could replace Flaherty in Baltimore.

I like Roberts batting ninth because, starting w/the second time thru the order, he becomes a second lead-off man followed my Markakis and Machado. That has good potential for getting men on base for the middle of the order.

I really like Markakis leading off.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 8:15 am

Old Sneakers wrote:While he may be just that. To bat second you gotta be really good at getting on base and advancing runners. I would not have thought him ready for that. Any thoughts?

I was suggesting Machado bat second last fall. I would expect him to get a lot of pitches to hit.

I would be very surprised if the team hasn't been working on his plate discipline.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2013, 8:17 am

I'd rather see Machado in the 2 spot against LHP than against both. He doesn't present enough of a on base threat to hit #2. Look at these various projections I found on him from Fangraphs:
2013 Steamer .251 .309 .410 .719
2013 Bill James .256 .315 .419 .734
2013 Oliver .254 .309 .402 .711
2013 Fans (44) .264 .318 .435 .753
2013 Zips .252 .311 .418 .729
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #27 by ofahn » April 2nd, 2013, 8:21 am

osforlife wrote:I'd rather see Machado in the 2 spot against LHP than against both. He doesn't present enough of a on base threat to hit #2. Look at these various projections I found on him from Fangraphs:
2013 Steamer .251 .309 .410 .719
2013 Bill James .256 .315 .419 .734
2013 Oliver .254 .309 .402 .711
2013 Fans (44) .264 .318 .435 .753
2013 Zips .252 .311 .418 .729

It's REALLY hard to project young hitters and pitchers until they establish a ML baseline.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » April 2nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

mikezpen wrote:I w/rather have Casilla here as the utility infielder and Flaherty in the minors developing.I think that guy could be real good, long term and has more of an upside than Casilla.And I also don't know if he's developed enough at this point to present much of a bat coming off the bench here.Trouble is, Betemit is gone for a good part of the year, and I don't know what they have in the way of a utility guy in the minors who could replace Flaherty in Baltimore.

I like Roberts batting ninth because, starting w/the second time thru the order, he becomes a second lead-off man followed my Markakis and Machado. That has good potential for getting men on base for the middle of the order.

I really like Markakis leading off.
8-)

Totally.. seems like the Orioles took off last year when they inserted him into the leadoff spot. I like our order from top to bottom .. much more explosive than last year
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #29 by thezeroes » April 2nd, 2013, 12:42 pm

I have this as the Opening Day roster and only count twelve pitchers.

SP 34 Jake Arrieta
SP 50 Miguel Gonzalez
SP 16 Wei-Yin Chen
SP 39 Jason Hammel
RP 17 Brian Matusz
RP 38 Luis Ayala
RP 29 Tommy Hunter
RP 66 T.J. McFarland
RP 56 Darren O'Day
RP 40 Troy Patton
RP 47 Pedro Strop
CL 43 Jim Johnson

C 32 Matt Wieters
C 31 Taylor Teagarden

INF 3 Ryan Flaherty
INF 13 Manny Machado
INF 12 Alexi Casilla
INF 19 Chris Davis
INF 2 J.J. Hardy
INF 1 Brian Roberts
INF 28 Steve Pearce

OF 10 Adam Jones
OF 21 Nick Markakis
OF 9 Nate McLouth
OF 14 Nolan Reimold

A lot can happen before the fifth game of the season. We could have an injury. The weather could cancel opening day or the fifth game. A lack of bullpen usage in the first four games would leave the recall of a fifth starter as un-needed or one of the relievers as extra. I do not think keeping a rule 5 player at this point in the season is detrimental to the ball club and I also do not think we should give up on McFarland so easily. I will trust in Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter to make the most of the twenty-five and for that matter the forty man roster.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #30 by osforlife » April 2nd, 2013, 1:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
It's REALLY hard to project young hitters and pitchers until they establish a ML baseline.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Machado puts up numbers like this. He didn't dominate at any minor league level and he completely skipped AAA. I expect a drop in offensive & defense production. One rarely does not come into the major league and have the same MLB average as minor league average right away without being more aggressive, thus sacrificing walks. Also, he didn't slug .445 in the minor leagues, but did it in the major leagues. Lastly, he played shortstop all his life, and even a bad shortstop at Bowie, but then comes in and plays gold glove defense at THIRD?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles