Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Various Orioles Notes

Various Orioles Notes

PostPost #1 by osforlife » March 29th, 2013, 3:14 pm

The 25-man roster and several roles are taking place now, and the finalization of things should come after today's semi-exhibition game.

1. Brian Roberts will bat 9th in the lineup, which is where he should hit, but I don't really like anybody else in the leadoff spot. Markakis is a natural #2 hitter IMO & Nate McLouth won't play everyday. I'd consider putting Nolan Reimold in the leadoff role. He takes pitches, has some speed, and should play everyday now that Betemit is injured.

2. Brian Matusz will make the team as a reliever. If I was running the show, I'd send Matusz down to AAA to work with Rick Petersen. A quality starter is more valuable than a quality reliever, and Matusz still had potential, as we saw coming out of the bullpen. He will likely be a reliever for the immediate future. We have the starting pitching depth not to need him this year so he'll probably spend the whole year as a reliever. After that, I doubt they'll transition him back to a starter. It is pretty saddening to know that the 4th pick in the 2008 draft will most likely be a reliever going forward.

3. Jake Arrieta will start the 4th game of the season. I don't think he deserves it. He was terrible last year, and gets rewarded for a few good outings in March. Matusz, Britton, or Arrieta shouldn't have even been in a situation to earn a rotation spot. DD should have acquired Haren, Marcum, Saunders, SOMEBODY. I'm going to be pissed off if Arrieta is sent down in June with a 5+ ERA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: Various Orioles Notes

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 3:47 pm

osforlife wrote:The 25-man roster and several roles are taking place now, and the finalization of things should come after today's semi-exhibition game.

1. Brian Roberts will bat 9th in the lineup, which is where he should hit, but I don't really like anybody else in the leadoff spot. Markakis is a natural #2 hitter IMO & Nate McLouth won't play everyday. I'd consider putting Nolan Reimold in the leadoff role. He takes pitches, has some speed, and should play everyday now that Betemit is injured.

Until he gets hot. I honestly do not blame them for this. If he started the season 0 for 30 we'd all be screaming to bench him. Batting 9th will end though if he gets hot and starts slamming doubles.

osforlife wrote:2. Brian Matusz will make the team as a reliever. If I was running the show, I'd send Matusz down to AAA to work with Rick Petersen. A quality starter is more valuable than a quality reliever, and Matusz still had potential, as we saw coming out of the bullpen. He will likely be a reliever for the immediate future. We have the starting pitching depth not to need him this year so he'll probably spend the whole year as a reliever. After that, I doubt they'll transition him back to a starter. It is pretty saddening to know that the 4th pick in the 2008 draft will most likely be a reliever going forward.

I could not possibly agree more. I also think it's time to stop blaming Andy McPhail and a ghastly front office on this. Matusz has had plenty of time and coaching to succeed. If the team gets in a jam at some point, perhaps he gets another look as a starter. However, I do not see it lasting long. Or for that matter trade partners going crazy to acquire him.

osforlife wrote:3. Jake Arrieta will start the 4th game of the season. I don't think he deserves it. He was terrible last year, and gets rewarded for a few good outings in March. Matusz, Britton, or Arrieta shouldn't have even been in a situation to earn a rotation spot. DD should have acquired Haren, Marcum, Saunders, SOMEBODY. I'm going to be pissed off if Arrieta is sent down in June with a 5+ ERA.

I agree here as well. He doesn't deserve the honor. However at the same time. He outperformed everyone with the possible exception of Steve Johnons whom is injured. He may start the fourth game. Really though he is the fifth starter. As for signing someone else, I agree with most. Joe Saunders should have been given an incentive laden contract for 2-3 years.

We need to stop referring to Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman and Britton as the cavalry. I propose at this point we start addressing them as "The Replacements" if they fail this season.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by osforlife » March 29th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I agree here as well. He doesn't deserve the honor. However at the same time. He outperformed everyone with the possible exception of Steve Johnons whom is injured. He may start the fourth game. Really though he is the fifth starter.

Baseball isn't fair. Although Steve Johnson got injured, he wouldn't have made the rotation anyway. Steve Johnson pitched to a 2.86 ERA, 8.5 SO/9, and 1.062 WHIP in the minors last year, and takes forever to get called up. He then proceeds to pitch to a 2.11 ERA, 10.8 SO/9, and 1.070 WHIP in the late months of a playoff stretch, only to never been given a real chance in the rotation, to be pushed out of the rotation after performing well, and to be passed over on multiple playoff rosters. Keep in mind that Matusz, Jurrjens, Arrieta, and Britton were ALL TERRIBLE in 2012. Then, coming into spring training, he is basically considered an after thought to the potential talents of Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, and Jurrjens, even after pitching as good or better than all of them in these so-called "decision decider exhibition games".
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » March 29th, 2013, 4:39 pm

2. Matusz...Has Buck mentioned his role other than making the team? IF not he might go down after Gm 4 when Tilman comes off the DL. Thats what I would like to see. I want to give him till June to see if he can be a starter.

1. Roberts...I like our order. I think that in 2013 Buck put his best 5 hitters in the first 5 spots. Buck might think Manny is just better right now.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by A_K » March 29th, 2013, 5:44 pm

I think it's natural but wrong to think of a roster spot/rotation spot as a reward or honor. They're putting together the group of players that give us the best chance to win games. As Clint Eastwood and later Felicia Snoop Peterson have said, "deserve's got nothing to do with it." Johnson is hurt, Britton can't figure out his new delivery, and Matusz get's hit around any time he's asked to throw more than 1.5 innings at a time. So, Arrieta it is.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by osforlife » March 29th, 2013, 9:19 pm

I'm just trying to say, I really think DD should have acquired a durable starter, so we don't have a situation where we have a young pitcher who doesn't have everything together, being sent down in June due to ineffectiveness. Even if DD didn't acquire a starter, which he didn't, and Steve Johnson was healthy, which he is not, I think there is a very high chance Arrieta still would have made the rotation over Steve, which is just wrong IMO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » March 29th, 2013, 11:00 pm

It's not who starts the year w/this team, it's who ends it.If guys aren't cutting it and someone in Norfolk/Bowie is, then he'll be up here sooner or later. You need look no further than last year's rotation where 3 of the 5 who began the season were ultimately replaced.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 30th, 2013, 8:24 am

4. The Orioles have signed Freddy Garcia and traded for Scott Proctor of the Braves. We likely just needed pitching depth in AAA since Arrieta and Matusz made the team.

5. TJ McFarland has made the team as a 3rd lefty in the pen. We now have eight pitchers in the bullpen, somebody will likely go down once Tillman is recalled.

6. Steve Johnson and Chris Tillman have been placed on the disabled list, but Tillman will still start the 5th game of the season.

7. One of Steve Pearce and Connor Jackson will make the team as the as the last bench player.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by mikezpen » March 30th, 2013, 9:28 am

7. You'll only need one of them most of the time.

But I'm thinking that, when they play that week or two of NL games, they mite drop a pitcher and add a hitter so Buck has flexibility in using pinch hitters and double-switches.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » March 30th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Signing Freddy Garcia was just plain smart if the team gets in a jam or has a rash of injuries. With Scott Proctor, honestly I am not that familiar with him. Not real sure what they think they can get out of him.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 30th, 2013, 5:20 pm

LA Detective wrote:2. Matusz...Has Buck mentioned his role other than making the team? IF not he might go down after Gm 4 when Tilman comes off the DL. Thats what I would like to see. I want to give him till June to see if he can be a starter.

That was my first thought when I heard that Mcfarland and Matusz had made the team and Tillman would be on the DL. I think one of them will have to go down when Tillman comes off the DL and I think it will be Matusz. That way they could keep Mcfarland as the second lefty/long man and allow Matusz to continue starting in the minors. I think putting Matusz on the 25 man roster for the first few games was done just to have an extra weapon in the bullpen against the Rays.

mikezpen wrote:It's not who starts the year w/this team, it's who ends it.If guys aren't cutting it and someone in Norfolk/Bowie is, then he'll be up here sooner or later. You need look no further than last year's rotation where 3 of the 5 who began the season were ultimately replaced.

Completely agree and Buck has mentioned that several times this spring. Through trial and error they will find the best ML rotation candidates out of the plethora of options they'll have at Norfolk and Bowie. I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Arrieta is beginning the year in the ML rotation. He may be the best option at this point but that doesn't mean he will be the best option as the season goes on.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 30th, 2013, 5:26 pm

osforlife wrote:1. Brian Roberts will bat 9th in the lineup, which is where he should hit, but I don't really like anybody else in the leadoff spot.

Markakis seemed really comfortable in the leadoff spot last year for whatever reason. He would be my choice for that reason. I know he doesn't necessarily "profile" as a leadoff hitter but is that really that big of a deal? He gets on base and puts up a ton of total bases. It's not like the Orioles steal that many bases under Buck anyway and he's a fine baserunner.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » March 31st, 2013, 8:44 am

Some thoughts:
-- Roberts fits well in the ninth hole and potentially leading off an inning followed by Markakis would be very nice.
-- Matusz was a monster in his seventh/eighth inning role last year. Why tamper with success because once again the bullpen will be our life's blood.
-- I've been an outspoken critic of Arrieta but he has been solid this spring and deserves a chance to prove once and for all he is a big league starter and not a closer as many think he will end up.
-- Loving McLouth in either the leadoff or #2 spot but right now it looks like Manny. I'm going to Trust in Buck like I do with Ozzie on this one.
-- I like the Scott Proctor pickup Saturday. Think he could help down the road.
-- Now can we sign Wieters long term???
Play Ball!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » March 31st, 2013, 10:58 am

Matusz in the pen is overkill. He has too much talent to waste as a late inning 1 or 2 hitter pitcher. Disappointing.
Arrieta was awful in 2012 but he has the stuff to be a solid #4, is he mentally there finally? Hopeful.
The bottom of our order could be pretty powerful and we need to produce more runs throughout the line-up because statistical averages say we will not win as many 1 run games in 2013.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by LA Detective » March 31st, 2013, 12:38 pm

Matusz is one of our 12 best pitchers so I can see why he is up. On the other hand I was hoping he could have until June to prove that he can be a starter. I had him as the suprise this year.

Very curious about what happens before game #5. I think Matusz is the only reasonable guy that can go down who has options? Possibly a 3 man bench with Ryan F still up. I think I read where Casilla had options. My guess it is him. And Buck mixes and matches in the pen with 13 for now.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles