Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Just for Fun (Maybe Not) : Betemit Spectulation

Just for Fun (Maybe Not) : Betemit Spectulation

PostPost #1 by osforlife » March 25th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Today in the 5th inning of the Orioles vs. Redsox Spring Training Game on ESPN, Wilson Betemit fell to the ground between first and second on a Manny Machado pop-up, and was in serious pain. The injury can be seen in the 'highlights' section of today's Game-day (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.js ... b_balmlb_1). Roch Kubatko has reported that the Orioles are listing the injury as a right knee ligament sprain. Here is information on Wilson from Masnsports - http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... njury.html - http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... uotes.html - . I hope this injury isn't critical, although it appears that way. I really think he is/would have been a crucial part to the team as a left-handed DH. Betemit carries a career .281/.349/.474/.824 against RHP, a 2012 .302/.357/.502/.859 against RHP. Crossing my fingers here, but say Betemit has to undergo knee surgery and is out for the season, what would you do to replace him?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: Just for Fun (Maybe Not) : Betemit Spectulation

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 25th, 2013, 3:41 pm

It has to be a left handed bat. I don't know if Flaherty can put up good enough numbers to be the DH.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » March 25th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Reimold everyday player at DH. If we wanted Pearce's bat in the lineup then one would go to left against righties. I would prefer Nolan stay DH for injury sakes.

Barring a trade I think it means Ryan F will make the team.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » March 25th, 2013, 3:45 pm

my mistake...I mean Pearce go to left against lefties....

I dont ever want a player hurt but actually it frees up Nolan to play everyday which I think he needs to keep his swing in tack. Nolan responds like last year and it will be better for us in the long run.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by osforlife » March 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Perhaps the Diamondbacks would consider moving Eric Chavez, considering they have since recently acquired Martin Prado. But, I don't really see a need to look outside the organization. I think we have enough hitting depth in the organization to withstand a Wilson Betemit injury. I'm currently thinking about Connor Jackson...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » March 25th, 2013, 4:31 pm

A-Almost certainly Ryan Flaherty makes the team.
B-The club would need a second utility infielder unless the injury is relatively brief.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » March 25th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:A-Almost certainly Ryan Flaherty makes the team.
B-The club would need a second utility infielder unless the injury is relatively brief.

Casilla was going to make the team even before the injury.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » March 26th, 2013, 9:20 am

Well Buck will have greater flexibility for a couple of months. Markakis or Roberts not 100%, you can now DH them for a few games. The outfield should have room for Pearce and Jackson now with both capable of playing 1st for Davis, though I don't see Davis sitting very often. Flaherty does give them a little more insurance against an in game infield injury. Still think he needs to be in AAA.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » March 26th, 2013, 11:15 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Casilla was going to make the team even before the injury.

Does that mean your content with Casilla being your bench option at 1b and 3b as well? Not me, I'll take a minor league player with a little bit more power.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » March 26th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Speculation over: he's out up to two months from what I have read in the SUN and OH. Next man up!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by ofahn » March 26th, 2013, 12:43 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Speculation over: he's out up to two months from what I have read in the SUN and OH. Next man up!! 8-)

Just a reminder that links are always nice so the rest of us could read the story, too, if we wanted.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » March 26th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
Does that mean your content with Casilla being your bench option at 1b and 3b as well? Not me, I'll take a minor league player with a little bit more power.

Where did I ever say I was content? I said he was going to make the team. He is JJ Hardy & Brian Roberts back-up.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by rudyrooster » March 26th, 2013, 5:04 pm

I feel bad for Betemit. He seems like a really good guy. Hope he makes it back this season.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #14 by osforlife » July 18th, 2013, 9:07 am

Wilson Betemit has a $3.2MM option for 2014. It vests with 324 plate appearances (combined 700 between 2012 and 2013). Betemit underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on March 26th. As of July 8th, he is completing baseball activities. But with Manny Machado holding down third base, it's hard to see Betemit's option vesting.

I'm not really sure what the timetable for Betemit's return is. He'll probably go on a rehab assignment sooner or later. I was really bummed when he got injured. At his low price, he would have been a bargain as a DH against RHP. I'd say it's very unlikely he reaches the 324 plate appearances he needs. Including Betemit, the Orioles have several players who will hit the free agent market this winter.
1. Wilson Betemit
2. Brian Roberts
3. Nate McLouth
4. Jason Hammel
5. Scott Feldman
6. Tsuyoshi Wada ($5MM option)
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » July 18th, 2013, 11:41 am

osforlife wrote:I'm not really sure what the timetable for Betemit's return is. He'll probably go on a rehab assignment sooner or later. I was really bummed when he got injured. At his low price, he would have been a bargain as a DH against RHP. I'd say it's very unlikely he reaches the 324 plate appearances he needs. Including Betemit, the Orioles have several players who will hit the free agent market this winter.
1. Wilson Betemit
2. Brian Roberts
3. Nate McLouth
4. Jason Hammel
5. Scott Feldman
6. Tsuyoshi Wada ($5MM option)

It would not surprise me at all were none of those resigned.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles