Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who wins the last bench spot?

Who wins the last bench spot?

PostPost #1 by LA Detective » March 17th, 2013, 1:50 pm

I think it is assumed that Reimold,Casilla and Teagarden are 3 of the 4 on the bench. Who gets the other spot (assuming everyone is healthy)?

I believe there are some factors to this:
1. Does Reimold platoon in LF, DH or full time DH putting WB on the bench?
2 Does Buck want to platoon McClouth?
3 Is Casilla the back up at 3rd if WB is DHing?
3 What is WB's role? If he is on the bench it means the 4th doesnt have to be able to play 1b

The Candidates:
Lew Ford ..the hottest hitter in camp. because of D could be a nice platton for McClouth but it depends on #1 and #2.

Steve Pearce..has played well..can play OF and 1b..

Connor Jackson..same as Pearce but probably a better hitter, weaker on D..I would rather see him go to AAA and get ABs because with some injuries he could be a regular with us for a bit.

Ryan F...If we took the best 25 players north Casilla would be released. I think the only way this happens is if Buck plans on some type of platoon or limits BR's games to where RF plays alot.

For me the best case scenerio is Reimold wins the DH spot and Betemit to the bench..

I think the last spot goes to S. Pearce due to his hitting and abilites to play OF/1b..

And, I dont think it will happen at the start of the season but our team is better with Ryan F playing 3 or 4 days a week, mostly at 2b and a spot start or 2 at ss to keep JJ fresh...

Who would be your 4th?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Who wins the last bench spot?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 17th, 2013, 3:05 pm

If I were even somewhat close to being a General manager of the Orioles I would do everything and anything possible to get rid of Wilson Betemit. I would eat his salary just to dump him. How many position players will the Orioles have? I see at least 13.

Although I don't see Betemit going anywhere unfortunately. I don't think Flaherty heads North unless Betemit is gone.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » March 17th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Options will of course come into play though I would rather they keep the best players on the ML roster. We're looking at Markakis with his nagging injury. Reimold always injured and frankly really not that effective in his ML career. To start it should be an OF, with their ability to play 1B should be of much lesser concern though both Jackson and Pearce can.

Jackson simply because he has had a decent ML career.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » March 17th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Rising O's wrote:Options will of course come into play though I would rather they keep the best players on the ML roster. We're looking at Markakis with his nagging injury. Reimold always injured and frankly really not that effective in his ML career. To start it should be an OF, with their ability to play 1B should be of much lesser concern though both Jackson and Pearce can.

Jackson simply because he has had a decent ML career.

I can't find anything wrong with what you stated. If Pearce and Jackson continue putting up numbers in spring training I can see both making the opening day roster. I believe Reimold goes to the DL. I think another issue comes down to Casilla and Flaherty. My thoughts are they will send Flaherty to AAA to get regular at bats.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » March 17th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Ugly to think of Casilla having to play 4-5 consecutive games because Roberts is once again day to day.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by ofahn » March 17th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:If I were even somewhat close to being a General manager of the Orioles I would do everything and anything possible to get rid of Wilson Betemit. I would eat his salary just to dump him. How many position players will the Orioles have? I see at least 13.

Although I don't see Betemit going anywhere unfortunately. I don't think Flaherty heads North unless Betemit is gone.

What a difference a year makes.

Last year Betemit was about the best utility hitter we could attract. This year guys WANTED to play for us. That's a big part of why we have so many good options to choose from.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 17th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Rising O's wrote:Ugly to think of Casilla having to play 4-5 consecutive games because Roberts is once again day to day.

I don't think that would happen for long.

If the FO believes we could make the playoffs this year then I don't see them giving Roberts a very long leash. DD might not be able to eat that contract, but he can always put him on the 60 Day DL and bring up Flaherty.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 17th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Barring injury, Nolan Reimold, Taylor Teagarden, Alexi Casilla, and Wilson Betemit will make the roster; that isn't even in question. Nolan Reimold can backup all OF positions, Taylor Teagarden can backup Matt Wieters, and Wilson Betemit can back-up the corner infield positions when he is not the DH. When Wilson Betemit is the DH, all the infield positions have to be backed up. Ryan Flaherty fits that bill, but he needs consistent at-bats, so he will go down to AAA. Alexi Casilla mostly plays the middle infield positions, but he is deemed suitable at 3B, that opens up a spot for Connor Jackson or Steve Pearce, because they backup the OF and 1B. If Alexi Casilla is deemed unsuitable at 3B, either Danny Valencia, Russ Canzler, or Connor Jackson would make the team, because they all back-up at least 1B and 3B. Steve Pearce does not play the hot corner, so he would not be able to make the team in this situation.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by osforlife » March 17th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:If I were even somewhat close to being a General manager of the Orioles I would do everything and anything possible to get rid of Wilson Betemit. I would eat his salary just to dump him. How many position players will the Orioles have? I see at least 13.

Wilson Betemit carries a career .281/.349/.474/.824 against RHP, a 2012 .302/.357/.502/.859 against RHP, and the ability to backup the corner infield positions. He isn't going anywhere. Why are you so eager to dump him?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » March 17th, 2013, 5:47 pm

osforlife wrote:Wilson Betemit carries a career .281/.349/.474/.824 against RHP, a 2012 .302/.357/.502/.859 against RHP, and the ability to backup the corner infield positions. He isn't going anywhere. Why are you so eager to dump him?

It could be because he is a total butcher when he puts a glove on his hand. The worst footwork I can remember from a major league ballplayer, totally one dimensional. Buck doesn't want one dimensional players, i.e. Jim Thome as a prime example.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » March 19th, 2013, 11:22 am

My two cents: a couple of decent players are going to get cut and that is a nice problem to have. I would like to hang onto Pearce and Conner. I could see Markakis starting the year on the DL. I think Flaherty has forged his way into the bench discussion. I don't have much use for Cassilla 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2013, 9:21 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
It could be because he is a total butcher when he puts a glove on his hand. The worst footwork I can remember from a major league ballplayer, totally one dimensional. Buck doesn't want one dimensional players, i.e. Jim Thome as a prime example.

Buck seemed committed to getting a second left handed reliever out of the pen, most likely to use as a LOOGY. LOOGY's are one dimensional players. Why are baseball fans intent with giving a roster spot to a reliever who will pitch 30 innings, over a DH who will give us a .820+ OPS over about 115 games?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2013, 9:22 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:My two cents: a couple of decent players are going to get cut and that is a nice problem to have. I would like to hang onto Pearce and Conner. I could see Markakis starting the year on the DL. I think Flaherty has forged his way into the bench discussion. I don't have much use for Cassilla 8-)

It is better for Ryan Flaherty to get everyday at-bats, and he won't get those at the major league level. If he makes the major league roster, he will likely get sporadic playing time just as he did last year, and not improve all that much. You will definitely see Flaherty this year though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles