Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

Re: How Does The Line-Up Shake Out?

PostPost #31 by ofahn » January 25th, 2013, 5:57 pm

osforlife wrote:I could see Freddy Sanchez being an intriguing option for our second base job come mid-season.

I've thought about him at least three of four times this off season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » March 21st, 2013, 7:43 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I seriously don't think you will ever see a Orioles lineup with Valencia batting third. I look for Adam and Chris Davis to man the 3 and 4 holes.
osforlife wrote:I'd put a .831 OPS in the 3 hole, you wouldn't? Matt Wieters kills LHP. I'd bat him third and move Valencia down to 5th.

osforlife wrote:Yes. Danny Valencia has an .831 OPS against LHP. Would you put an .831 OPS in the three hole? I sure would. Another viable option would be to put Matt Wieters third as he absolutely smashes LHP.
Apparently we will never know about Valencia batting 3rd at least to start the season. He just got optioned to Norfolk.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by Old Sneakers » March 23rd, 2013, 3:48 am

ofahn wrote:
It wasn't pretty. This guy needs to hit the Reset Button. We did it for McLouth. If he wants it bad enough he'll listen to what he's told and we'll benefit from it.

I get what your saying here so I'm really not calling you out. But Nate McLouth's line is .248/.335/.421/.756

If Reimold slumps (which you can absolutely expect, or is ineffective) or Roberts is not candidate for comeback player of the year (which you can absolutely expect, or is ineffective). Or if Markakis has injury trouble... Please get ready with the reset button or order a new one soon.

I was, as I still am strongly rooting for something good to happen for LJ Hoes. It would be absolutely wonderful if he surpasses expectations soon and presses the issue. As I feel that LF is going to be a huge let down for us.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #34 by osforlife » March 23rd, 2013, 9:57 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Apparently we will never know about Valencia batting 3rd at least to start the season. He just got optioned to Norfolk.

Danny Valencia was a viable option to DH with Wilson Betemit. He plays the corner infield positions, so he and Betemit could swap backing up 1st and 3rd, depending on who is the DH. He performed well in Spring Training, and he has hit LHP very well in his major league career. But, with Steve Pearce, Connor Jackson, and Russ Canzler all vying for a bench spot, it really became a toss-up who was going to make the team.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #35 by ofahn » March 23rd, 2013, 11:07 am

Old Sneakers wrote:I was, as I still am strongly rooting for something good to happen for LJ Hoes.

I feel the same way, BUT; at this point, he's a C+ prospect for good reason. If he can learn to be a little more patient at the plate it will result in more walks (OBA) and more extra base hits (OPS). The team can live with a .775 OPS IF he can become a plus defender and a plus base runner.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by rudyrooster » March 23rd, 2013, 5:12 pm

I think LJ Hoes is undervalued by many of those on the outside looking in. I think he will be a solid big-leaguer in the not too distant future.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #37 by Old Sneakers » March 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Perfect World (Unlikely)

2B Brian Roberts
RF Nick Markakis
SS JJ Hardy
1B Chris Davis
CF Adam Jones
C Matt Weiters
DH Nolan Reimold
3B Manny Machado
LF Nate McLouth

What's wrong here? This is my lineup come September (barring injury). You can just forget this being the opening day line-up. Laugh all you want but if the stars align, this is how I see it looking.

All this falls through the floor if Roberts has health issues or can no longer service as a lead off guy. Though I want Markakis back in his natural 2-hole. I really expect JJ Hardy to have a bounce back year much like we are hoping for from Roberts. No we can't hold our breath on either. Though Hardy's a good fit for that spot when he's on. I also like Davis batting fourth. As I still expect Jones to just want to mash every pitch. I think a lot of Adam Jones, but I think batting fourth is a bad spot for him. Keep him in the 5th spot. Weiters just fits batting sixth and you expect that so long as he's healthy will put up solid numbers in that spot.

I wouldn't bat Reimold any higher, even if he gets hot. I secretly expect that he benefits batting behind more talented guys like Jones and Weiters. In your last two spots it's Machado and McLouth. Take your pick as both have a great deal to improve upon against Major League pitching.

If Machado really is a five tool guy then he will push the issue and end up batting third soon enough and this is pointless. However last year's line of .262/.294/.438 can be so much better. I honestly say let him have the year in the back of the line up and protect him.

I know McLouth has fans here and if Roberts or Markakis goes down then he's far higher in the line up so you almost have to get him a lot of at bats and keep him competing. Question is how many games out of ten does he start? He's unlikely to wow anyone at the plate. Nor is Ryan Flaherty. My little hopes for LJ Hoes could well come true in the second half of the season. He may well get an extended look in the majors.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #38 by osforlife » March 28th, 2013, 7:35 pm

I'd like to put Brian Roberts in the 9-hole, but I really don't like anybody else in the leadoff spot. So, he can probably stay as the 1st hitter for now, as long as he stays healthy and produces, like he has done this spring.

I too like Nick Markakis in the 2-spot. He does seem like a natural #2 hitter.

Sorry to say, there is not a chance in the world JJ Hardy bats third at any part of the season. Even if he has the exact same numbers as he did in 2011, I still wouldn't bat him third. He belongs in the bottom part of the lineup, preferably 8th IMO.

Adam Jones and Chris Davis are nice power hitters to have, but they lack the patience to be legit middle of the order bats. But, they'll probably bat 3rd and 4th, respectively, for the Orioles.

Nolan Reimold has another, and probably his last chance to prove himself. Betemit injury opened up a big hole for him to step in and be the everyday DH. I'd actually be happy with a .246 .322 .420 .742 slash line ZIPS has him hitting if he avoids any trips to the disabled list.

I am not in the Manny Machado bandwagon yet. I think he'll produce something along the lines of his ZIPS projection, .252 .311 .418 .729 with above average defense. Obviously, he was a huge upgrade from what we had at third base all year, but his offensive production wasn't really that good. Everybody fell in love with his defense, as did I, but he lacked patience and slugged higher than ever before in the minors. Honestly, I don't think he was ready for the majors, as he never dominated at any level.

With Betemit out, maybe McLouth will play a bit more in left field now that there is no true right hand hitting outfielder to spot him. I think McLouth will be above average.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #39 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 12:35 pm

You can just file my lineup into the "Poo Poo Pile"

The orioles website has an article up with Roberts batting 9th. Mistake in my opinion but Buck will do what he feels is best.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by A_K » March 29th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Glad to see Roberts is batting ninth. It'll be a smoother exit when he's off the team in a few weeks.

Imagine it'll be something like

Markakis
Machado
Jones
Davis
Wieters
Reimold
Hardy
McLouth
Roberts
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #41 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 2:20 pm

A_K wrote:Glad to see Roberts is batting ninth. It'll be a smoother exit when he's off the team in a few weeks.

You think he's traded, injured or released (after all this time)?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #42 by ofahn » March 29th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:"Poo Poo Pile"

I'm just curious. Is that a TECHNICAL term?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by A_K » March 29th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
You think he's traded, injured or released (after all this time)?

I think it'll be one of the latter two. Contract precludes any reasonable chance of a trade.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #44 by Old Sneakers » March 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm just curious. Is that a TECHNICAL term?

Euphemism of choice for a family friendly board. Whom is populated with many Orioles fans ready to go ballistic after an off season of little to no moves made.

*Still scratching my head we didn't try to get hold of (at least) a few more reasonably talented bodies in the minors in exchange for some now questionable arms that seem to have faltered in the Majors. I am reading more how the team thinks it's in position to challenge the division for possibly the next five years. Truthfully, I do not believe we are done rebuilding yet.*
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #45 by Seafordeagles » March 29th, 2013, 6:19 pm

A_K wrote:Glad to see Roberts is batting ninth. It'll be a smoother exit when he's off the team in a few weeks.

Lot of lobbying from you recently for Roberts demise. It's like you want it to happen. I hope he kicks some serious butt.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles