Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Jake Arrieta Or Zach Britton For Mike Olt?

Would You Trade Jake Arrieta Or Zach Britton For Mike Olt?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » March 17th, 2013, 12:29 pm

The Rangers may be in the market for a ML SP. The Tigers would seem to have what they want in Rick Porcello, but the Detroit is looking for a an above average ML SS and I doubt that Texas would part with Elvis Andrus at the beginning of a season where they expect to go to the WS. Particularly, when that trade might make the Tigers a better team than them.

This article, posted on MLB Trade Rumors, suggests that Texas might have an interest in Arrietta or Britton. Would you be willing to trade either of those two for 3B Mike Olt? Olt is considered an above average defender with plus power and a high OBA. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... t---001mic While he's had a rough spring, I would like to point out that he is just 23 and has yet to play above AA. We don't have a clear solution for 3B in the high minors nor do we have one for 1B where Olt can also play. At some point we will have to trade pitching for position players and I doubt that this kind of quality prospect will be available very often.

I would prefer to keep Britton because he is a LH AND he is a ground ball pitcher which makes him much more valuable in Camden Yards. What do you think and WHY?

Rangers Searching For Starting Pitcher
By Zach Links [March 17, 2013 at 11:10am CST]

The Rangers are scanning the market for a starting pitcher, officials on other teams have told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The Rangers have kept in contact with free agent pitcher Kyle Lohse and have also been linked to Tigers starter Rick Porcello.
Heyman points out that other starters that could be available include Aaron Harang, Chris Capuano and Ted Lilly of the Dodgers, Bud Norris of the Astros, and possibly Jake Arrieta and Zach Britton of the Orioles.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/r ... tcher.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Would You Trade Jake Arrieta Or Zach Britton For Mike Olt?

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 17th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Man I like to hold on the lefties (probably because I am one and really have no logical explanation why I would hold lefties). I would not have a problem moving Arrieta for Olt.

I would like to see Olt at 3rd base where he's played the majority of his games.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by dan72 » March 17th, 2013, 1:55 pm

I think Arrieta is the more promising pitcher, he is a work horse that eats up innings. For Britton if his sinker isn't working he is getting shelled. I know Arrieta tends to lose the zone at times.
I do see the value in Britton being a lefty....but at this point neither one of them are prospects any longer. The issue with this deal is that Arrieta is arbitration eligable in 2014, Britton in 2015. Mike Olt is on a one year deal. I do think Olt would allow the Orioles to move Machado to SS.
Which raises the question what do you do with Hardy? I think Hardy will have a bounce back year with the bat so do we really want to part with his offensive production? The deal raises alot of good questions.

I'm not sure Olt really betters the team from an offensive stand point.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 17th, 2013, 2:57 pm

dan72 wrote:Mike Olt is on a one year deal.

You must be thinking of someone else. Olt doesn't have any MLB service time yet, and has six years of control left.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » March 17th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Arrieta for Olt without hesitation. Olt/Machado/?/Davis offensive infield for 2014 on paper looks explosive.

Opens the potential to get Porcello this year too by flipping Hardy. That would be a nice couple of trades.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » March 17th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Yes

I would move Arrieta for Olt. Though I would prefer Britton sent in the exchange.

However as others have stated he's likely best at 3B. So the team would almost have to move Hardy in a trade. Hope to God Machado is at least solid at SS.

I like rotations that have two lefties, but my confidence in Britton being a sturdy #5 guy is beginning to wain. I really think Arrieta is the one you want to keep out of the initial choice.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 17th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Yep. Either one in a heartbeat.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 17th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Rising O's wrote:Opens the potential to get Porcello this year too by flipping Hardy.

I don't see Olt being MLB ready until 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by A_K » March 18th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Without hesitation.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » March 18th, 2013, 10:52 pm

ofahn wrote:Arrieta for Olt without hesitation. Olt/Machado/?/Davis offensive infield for 2014 on paper looks explosive.

Opens the potential to get Porcello this year too by flipping Hardy. That would be a nice couple of trades.

ofahn wrote:
I don't see Olt being MLB ready until 2014.

Me either, but the Orioles moved Machado up because he could play defense while he figured out the offense. Olt is just as capable of doing that.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » March 19th, 2013, 11:18 am

If nothing else an Olt for Arrietta deal would give us insurance for 2B if that position becomes a headache. We could perhaps shift Hardy to 2B and put Olt at third and Manny at SS.. It is an interesting thread 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » March 19th, 2013, 11:52 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:If nothing else an Olt for Arrietta deal would give us insurance for 2B if that position becomes a headache. We could perhaps shift Hardy to 2B and put Olt at third and Manny at SS.. It is an interesting thread 8-)

I TOTALLY disagree with this. I did some research and Hardy has never played 2nd base in the minors and the majors. It's real easy to say we will move this player without having a clue if he can even play the position. Shortstop and 2nd base are 2 totally different positions and not every player can play both. A classic example is Robin Yount. He couldn't play 2nd base after a stellar career as a shortstop so they moved him to the outfield.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by ofahn » March 19th, 2013, 12:54 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:If nothing else an Olt for Arrietta deal would give us insurance for 2B if that position becomes a headache. We could perhaps shift Hardy to 2B and put Olt at third and Manny at SS.. It is an interesting thread 8-)

I respect the fact that you're thinking outside of the box, but I think we would be diminishing Hardy's value by moving him to another position.

IF we could trade for Olt AND he's ready to bring up by July then IMO it would best to trade Hardy for at least two quality prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » March 19th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:A classic example is Robin Yount. He couldn't play 2nd base after a stellar career as a shortstop so they moved him to the outfield.

Nice analogy. Thank you for bringing that up. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » March 20th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I TOTALLY disagree with this. I did some research and Hardy has never played 2nd base in the minors and the majors. It's real easy to say we will move this player without having a clue if he can even play the position. Shortstop and 2nd base are 2 totally different positions and not every player can play both. A classic example is Robin Yount. He couldn't play 2nd base after a stellar career as a shortstop so they moved him to the outfield.

I respect your opinion and you make some valid points. But bear in mind: Hardy is an athlete and Gold Glove infielder. If anyone could transition, he could because he has a tremendous throwing arm and great agility - both quality attributes for any infielder. Yes and you might argue "but he lessens his value at 2B because of his power".. Remember Jeff Kent?? How did that work out 8-) 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles