Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arrieta: Lock for #5???

Re: Arrieta: Lock for #5???

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

Ouch, that hurts. Nothing like facts.......................

I'm not sure what your point is?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Honest, I wouldn't be too hard on birdwatcher55. The issue of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Britton is positively infuriating when you judge them as a group. By now two of them should have ironed out as at least solid starters whom are for the most part consistent.

It hasn't happened. Over the winter I recall thinking "Sign a free agent starter and send two packing"

I'm not being to hard. I'm simply pointing out the fact that it's bad to jump to quick conclusions.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by A_K » March 14th, 2013, 4:07 pm

The fact that people are so frustrated by Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Britton is precisely the point. They're pitching prospects. They get injuries, lose their stuff, struggle with control, suffer from inconsistency.... just like other pitching prospects. The point isn't that they're all great players and if you have a different opinion you're an idiot. The point is.... just calm the eff down and recognize you're dealing with young pitchers.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #19 by ofahn » March 14th, 2013, 4:12 pm

A_K wrote:just calm the eff down and recognize you're dealing with young pitchers

...whom are only NOW are receiving proper development guidance.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by Seafordeagles » March 14th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'm not sure what your point is?

My point is how you called him out on what he had been saying about Arrieta in the past.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » March 14th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Honest, I wouldn't be too hard on birdwatcher55. The issue of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Britton is positively infuriating when you judge them as a group. By now two of them should have ironed out as at least solid starters whom are for the most part consistent.

It hasn't happened. Over the winter I recall thinking "Sign a free agent starter and send two packing"

Tell me if I'm wrong but wasn't Tillman pretty solid for the O's last season. He was 9 and 3 with a ERA below 3. That seems pretty solid to me.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #22 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2013, 10:01 pm

For roughly a half a season yes he was. However, judge all four as a group (which is what I said) and you will not find two that have held up as consistent starting pitchers. Also Tillman spent a huge portion of the season in the minors. Now, he's out of options.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #23 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 15th, 2013, 11:21 am

ofahn wrote:
...whom are only NOW are receiving proper development guidance.

EXACTLY!!! and unfortunately so... That is why I agree JA, BM, and ZB should all start at AAA so they can continue to develop properly. They should not be in the majors until they are deemed completely ready by the powers that be. I don't see why Steve Johnson can't hold down the #5 spot in the mean time.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #24 by Old Sneakers » March 15th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Honestly its a pretty good option (Steve Johnson as the #5). He was making spot starts and did pretty well. I don't think he's got "Wow stuff" but he is competent and seems to know pitching more than some veterans. Is that a byproduct of having a Dad that was a ML starting pitcher? Probably. I just like his decision making and competitiveness.

Maybe long term he is long relief. For now though I really like him getting innings regardless of limitations. I would even accept him as a five innings and send for the pen guy.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by birdwatcher55 » March 15th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Britton tossed 3 2/3 solid innings today against Sawx. Things are getting interesting 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #26 by osforlife » March 15th, 2013, 7:27 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Britton tossed 3 2/3 solid innings today against Sawx. Things are getting interesting 8-)

Are you doing to explain yourself, after reading Jordan's post on page one of this thread?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #27 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 15th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly its a pretty good option (Steve Johnson as the #5). He was making spot starts and did pretty well. I don't think he's got "Wow stuff" but he is competent and seems to know pitching more than some veterans. Is that a byproduct of having a Dad that was a ML starting pitcher? Probably. I just like his decision making and competitiveness.

Maybe long term he is long relief. For now though I really like him getting innings regardless of limitations. I would even accept him as a five innings and send for the pen guy.

Totally agree, well said.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #28 by ofahn » March 15th, 2013, 8:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Britton tossed 3 2/3 solid innings today against Sawx. Things are getting interesting 8-)

Yep, and I'm sure that Arrieta, Britton, and Matusz can discuss it in the Norfolk clubhouse once the season starts.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #29 by mikezpen » March 16th, 2013, 4:22 pm

I think it's real nice to have the problem w/the fifth starter spot the Orioles have w/a number of guys in contention. BTW I really like The Good Arrieta. If we could trade The Bad Arrieta, I'd be willing to do it.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #30 by Old Sneakers » March 18th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Once again S. Johnson was solid yesterday. I am nearly convinced this is simply the way to go. Norfolk can have a sensational rotation to start the season. But the club in Baltimore needs to get off to a solid start as well. Send them down. Work out whatever needs be done and get them right (Britton, Arrieta and Matusz).
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles