Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Just For Fun: Markakis Spectulation

Just For Fun: Markakis Spectulation

PostPost #1 by osforlife » March 12th, 2013, 5:46 pm

This is not intended to be a jinx towards Nick Markakis. I love the dude to death and felt very bad last year when he went down with a season ending injury, causing him to miss the playoffs. Lately, he has been having many injury problems, and most recently his neck. He is not injury prone, he has just ran into a bad luck spell lately. Today Nick was diagnosed with a semi-herniated disk in his neck, which should keep him out for 7-14 days. For some odd reason, say this setback turned out to be more serious than expected, and he had to get surgery that would take him out the rest of the year, similar to Nolan Reimold's surgery. What would you do to replace Nick Markakis for a full year?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Just For Fun: Markakis Spectulation

PostPost #2 by osforlife » March 12th, 2013, 5:55 pm

For me, we have enough outfield depth to ease a major injury without looking outside the organization. Some may think about moving Chris Davis to the outfield and having Travis Ishikawa transition into a full-time first basemen. After all, he is about replacement level at first base, consistently putting up near a .264 .328 .405 slash line with average defense; not terrible at all. But, I believe this is the year to decide if Chris Davis is our future first basemen or not. Another roving defensive year for him won't do us any good in decision making towards the future. There are many possibilities I would consider, but the first that came to my mind would probably be to move Nolan Reimold to RF to play there full time, and make Trayvon Robinson our 4th outfielder.
Nate McLouth, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, Trayvon Robinson
LJ Hoes, Xavier Avery, Chris Dickerson, Steve Pearce
Lew Ford, Trent Mummey, Ronnie Welty, Jason Pridie
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by A_K » March 12th, 2013, 6:32 pm

I think you'd see them do something very much like what we saw in LF last year: revolving door or replacement players until someone somehow exceeds expectations. Avery, Hoes, Pearce, Jackson, Urrutia come to mind as guys who'd get opportunities before the end of the season.

As far as help outside the organization, I don't see much available that would inspire too much confidence. Would the A's consider moving Chris Young already?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by osforlife » March 12th, 2013, 8:26 pm

A_K wrote:I think you'd see them do something very much like what we saw in LF last year: revolving door or replacement players until someone somehow exceeds expectations. Avery, Hoes, Pearce, Jackson, Urrutia come to mind as guys who'd get opportunities before the end of the season.

As far as help outside the organization, I don't see much available that would inspire too much confidence. Would the A's consider moving Chris Young already?

I see the athletics holding onto Chris Young. Seth Smith is slotted to be their DH vs. RHP, and I'd put Chris Young at DH vs. LHP. They can alternate backing up the OF positions when not DHing. You are probably right- a revolving door until someone steps up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » March 13th, 2013, 10:49 am

He's getting older. Just about every player and any position deals with durability issues. The team may just have to make the choice of him being a 140 games kinda guy like most players.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » March 14th, 2013, 11:58 am

Simply put: there is no replacing a Nick Markakis and what he brings to the table. I just pray to God he is not facing surgery, but if that is the case then you maybe think about moving Adam to right, insert McLouth in center and platoon Jackson, Ford, Pearce and Reimold in LF depending on matchups 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by A_K » March 14th, 2013, 2:35 pm

I love Markakis. Seems like a great guy, extremely likable, fun to watch him play. I was ecstatic when they gave him the big contract and haven't really cared that injuries and progression have conspired to the point that he hasn't earned his annual salary in terms of basic production. He's played on a lot of bad teams, never said a word about it, and he and his wife have embraced Baltimore and really become members of the community.

But the capacity of Orioles fans to overrate him absolutely astounds me.

Simply put: there is no replacing a Nick Markakis and what he brings to the table.

I'm gagging. Are you kidding? There's no replacing someone who's basically a league average outfielder, maybe slightly better? C'mon.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 14th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Comparing him with all the notable right-fielders in the game, I'd take Nick Markakis over Fernando Martinez, Nate Schierholtz, Cody Ross, Michael Saunders, Mike Baxter, Jayson Werth, Travis Snider, Delmon Young, Nelson Cruz, Shane Victorino, Jay Bruce
Michael Cuddyer, Jeff Francoeur, Torii Hunter, Chris Parmelee, Alex Rios, and Ichiro Suzuki. I'd put him into a class with Josh Reddick, Will Venable, Andre Either, Hunter Pence, and Nick Swisher. I'd take Josh Hamilton, Jose Bautista, Jason Heyward, Norichika Aoki, Carlos Beltran, Giancarlo Stanton, and Ben Zobrist over Nick. So I'd say he is above average, but not by that much. I think we can expect to see an .800 OPS from him from now on.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by A_K » March 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm

I'd say above average but not by much is about right. There might be a few names I'd quibble with in your first group, but none by a large margin.

In any case, he isn't irreplaceable, despite how much we might like him.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » March 15th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Nick is probably the best pure hitter we have, plays a solid RF, has a great arm and was an absolute force at the top of the order before getting plucked by Sabathia. If he is the #8 RF in MLB in this site's poll then I think that is pretty damn good 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » March 15th, 2013, 2:27 pm

I think he becomes a free agent after next season. With LJ Hoes being a pretty high average guy and solid defender. How irreplaceable do you really consider Markakis? Not trying to start controversy with that question. However, baseball is a business and most players get as much money as they can, teams try to get the most out of their dollar...
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #12 by osforlife » March 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I think he becomes a free agent after next season. With LJ Hoes being a pretty high average guy and solid defender. How irreplaceable do you really consider Markakis? Not trying to start controversy with that question. However, baseball is a business and most players get as much money as they can, teams try to get the most out of their dollar...

Nick Markakis is a 2015 free agent, which means he will play 2013 & 2014 under his current contract. Nolan Reimold becomes a free agent one year after Markakis. Hopefully, LJ Hoes can hit enough to play a corner outfield position; he can easily be set up to play left field after this season when McLouth becomes a free agent. I would be fine with a .700 OPS, average defense, and 20 steals in left field next season. After him, it appears we have various future fourth outfielders in our system in Mummey, Avery, Davis, and Ruetigger.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » March 15th, 2013, 8:59 pm

osforlife wrote: I would be fine with a .700 OPS, average defense, and 20 steals in left field next season.

I may be a member of a small club, but I honestly think that McLouth will have an .800 OPS against RH pitching. If we platoon him with players that have the same level of performance against LH pitching we'll be fine in LF.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #14 by osforlife » March 16th, 2013, 11:56 am

ofahn wrote:
I may be a member of a small club, but I honestly think that McLouth will have an .800 OPS against RH pitching. If we platoon him with players that have the same level of performance against LH pitching we'll be fine in LF.

Oh yes, I think our left field will be pretty effective this year in one way or the other. The only problem is, if McLouth plays to a .800 OPS against RHP, 25 steals, and above-average defense over 110 games, he will be much more expensive than $2mil.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by mikezpen » March 16th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I really thought Canzler w/b a force, but so far he's done nothing. I have another idea for a dark horse, but this time I'm keeping it to myself. Don't want to jinx him.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles