Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arrieta: Lock for #5???

Arrieta: Lock for #5???

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » March 12th, 2013, 2:39 pm

What say you?? He looked good on Monday!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Arrieta: Lock for #5???

PostPost #2 by rudyrooster » March 12th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Still a long ways to go in Spring Training. Arrieta looked better Monday, but was falling behind in the count too often. His control needs to get appreciably better...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » March 12th, 2013, 5:22 pm

I think there would have to be a huge gap between his perfomance and anyones elses for this to happen. I think even if it all seems to be clicking for him he is probably the candidate that most needs to go down. This way he makes sure everything is fixed and not just pitching in a groove and gain confidence by dominating AAA hitters for a month or so. I think the race is between Britton and SJohnson. Matusz is still in there, then JA...I am one who still believes in him. I think going down is the best for him to maximize is potential. I still believe that he will be a big part of 2013 and beyond.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by osforlife » March 12th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Just one week ago birdwatcher said this: If there is one guy on this roster I would like to see get a new address, it's Arrieta. Time to MOVE ON!!!! 8-)

One week later, you're considering him to be a lock for the #5 spot? Does four scoreless innings in a spring training game really change you that much? You've been bashing him all winter saying he has no future in Baltimore and now this? Cmon Man.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 12th, 2013, 5:36 pm

LA Detective wrote:I think there would have to be a huge gap between his perfomance and anyones elses for this to happen. I think even if it all seems to be clicking for him he is probably the candidate that most needs to go down. This way he makes sure everything is fixed and not just pitching in a groove and gain confidence by dominating AAA hitters for a month or so. I think the race is between Britton and SJohnson. Matusz is still in there, then JA...I am one who still believes in him. I think going down is the best for him to maximize is potential. I still believe that he will be a big part of 2013 and beyond.

I couldn't have said it better. POINTS!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » March 13th, 2013, 10:44 am

I still say of all the younger arms Arrieta is the most likely to win 14 games. Maybe more. But something isn't quite right. Those four scoreless innings were against the Pirates and he's only got two more weeks before the fifth starter spot is likely settled. What irks me about it is this is a guy that should be a #3 guy in a very strong rotation, a #2 here.

I don't advocate moving any of the young arms unless the deal is sweetened by a team in a rough bind.

I somewhat suspect Steve Johnson is going to be our #5 guy to start the season and end up in long relief as the season wears on. Not a bad plan as he is capable of spot starting and done well in that role.

It would hardly surprise me if Matusz, Arrieta and Britton all went to AAA and worked it out. Only thing I am relatively sure of is that all of them will start at some point before July.

Each of them has talent. My biggest question is why do Orioles pitchers get into pitch count trouble? All of these guys (Including Tillman) have had ample time to learn how to get through an inning. If that means being sightly more hittable and hoping for your defense to make a play then so be it. But this nonsense of being at 100 pitches come the 5th inning has to stop. (Please note I didn't research that last statement, but it sure seems accurate)
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 13th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:It would hardly surprise me if Matusz, Arrieta and Britton all went to AAA and worked it out.

IMO this will be the best thing for them. Last year was the first REAL (under Rick Peterson) development they saw.

Old Sneakers wrote:Each of them has talent. My biggest question is why do Orioles pitchers get into pitch count trouble? All of these guys (Including Tillman) have had ample time to learn how to get through an inning. If that means being sightly more hittable and hoping for your defense to make a play then so be it. But this nonsense of being at 100 pitches come the 5th inning has to stop. (Please note I didn't research that last statement, but it sure seems accurate)

None of those guys should have been allowed to progress beyond AA without being able to show that they could CONSISTENTLY pitch into at least the seventh inning.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by A_K » March 13th, 2013, 1:23 pm

I'm always blown away by Orioles pitchers struggling with pitch counts too. I haven't seen whether or not numbers validate my impression, but it sure does seem like the 100 pitches in 5 innings phenomenon is especially pronounced in Baltimore.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by dan72 » March 14th, 2013, 11:55 am

I would not discount Matusz. He had a really strong outting where he dominated the Twins. I have always been a Matusz supporter. Over the years there has been a disconnect with him. You here reports that he is not following the direction of the staff. I think it would add nice balance to our rotation if Matusz makes the 5 spot.
I think Matusz knows his value (paycheck) greatly improves if he can prove himself as a starter, hopefully this is the year he puts it all together.
I am encouraged by Arietta this spring. Its a nice problem to have when there are multiple guys capable of filling the 5 turn....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » March 14th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Personally I would like to see Arrieta get the #5 spot and Matusz return to the bullpen where he was downight nasty and dominant. I just hate the idea of breaking up the great chemistry we had last year in the pen. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2013, 12:34 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Personally I would like to see Arrieta get the #5 spot and Matusz return to the bullpen where he was downight nasty and dominant. I just hate the idea of breaking up the great chemistry we had last year in the pen. Just my two cents 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1773&start=45#p17874
I would love to cut bait with Arrieta. To my thinking, he is just a major distraction in trying to assemble a quality pitching staff. No question, he has ability but doesn't know what to do with it when the chips are down. Guys like that break your heart every time IMHO 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1450&p=14431#p14431
Sorry but I sincerely hope Arrieta is moved this offseason. This guy has killed us at key moments this year. Time to drop anchor and let that ship sail 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1450&p=14427#p14427
Please get Arrieta off this ballclub!!!! 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1348&p=14082#p14082
Arrieta is terrible. Hopefully his time ends soon in Baltimore. Time for a change 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1348&p=13965#p13965
Arrieta (along with Matusz) will be useful pieces in someone else's organization next year. Tired of waiting for potential. Just give my more Joe Saunders types!!!!! :lol:
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » March 14th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #13 by ofahn » March 14th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I'll bet that was VERY LLOONNNGGG walk to the woodshed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by A_K » March 14th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hahahahhahahahaha....

..... hahahahahahahahahahahaha...

hahahahahahahha...
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Honest, I wouldn't be too hard on birdwatcher55. The issue of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Britton is positively infuriating when you judge them as a group. By now two of them should have ironed out as at least solid starters whom are for the most part consistent.

It hasn't happened. Over the winter I recall thinking "Sign a free agent starter and send two packing"
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles