Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Bundy's velocity is down

Bundy's velocity is down

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 10th, 2013, 11:44 am

My in-laws were at the game and said most pitches were around 90 MPH. They saw one posted at 93 MPH. This is definitely down from his high school senior year, when most pitches were 93-94 and occasionally got up to 97-99 MPH. The gun wasn't a "slow" gun because Gausman came in and was dialing up 95-96.

In the post game interview, Bundy seemed a bit perplexed by it, "I need to figure out what it was I was doing in high school and get back to doing that..."..

It is obviously early to sound the alarm- maybe he's going through the "dead arm" period of spring ball. Maybe there's a mechanical issue. I won't mention the worst case scenario. But this will need to be followed closely going forward. 95-97 MPH is extremely different than 90 MPH. Ask Matusz.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Bundy's velocity is down

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » March 10th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Everything you said is true regarding Bundy. However Matusz as I recall always topped out at 93/94. He was never a high velocity guy.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » March 10th, 2013, 3:56 pm

docjj wrote:My in-laws were at the game and said most pitches were around 90 MPH. They saw one posted at 93 MPH. This is definitely down from his high school senior year, when most pitches were 93-94 and occasionally got up to 97-99 MPH. The gun wasn't a "slow" gun because Gausman came in and was dialing up 95-96.

In the post game interview, Bundy seemed a bit perplexed by it, "I need to figure out what it was I was doing in high school and get back to doing that..."..

It is obviously early to sound the alarm- maybe he's going through the "dead arm" period of spring ball. Maybe there's a mechanical issue. I won't mention the worst case scenario. But this will need to be followed closely going forward. 95-97 MPH is extremely different than 90 MPH. Ask Matusz.

I wouldn't be too worried about this until we hear that they're sending him for a medical evaluation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » March 11th, 2013, 11:47 am

I believe he has a groin issue going on. The O's should just shut him down, get him healthy, and then send him to extended spring training. Seems like a no-brainer to me 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 11th, 2013, 12:03 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I believe he has a groin issue going on

What do you base that on?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » March 11th, 2013, 3:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
What do you base that on?

This from Roch Kubato on 3/10/13:

Bundy's dip in velocity could simply be mechanical, as he suggested, or he may not be pushing off with the same force because of the groin issue. His arm is fine, as far as we know, but it's something that will be monitored closely.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » March 11th, 2013, 10:15 pm

ofahn wrote:I wouldn't be too worried about this until we hear that they're sending him for a medical evaluation.

Ditto.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 12th, 2013, 5:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
I wouldn't be too worried about this until we hear that they're sending him for a medical evaluation.

Ditto. Plenty of pitcher's velocity is down in ST, after all, it is only spring training. Fans were complaining all last spring that Jim Johnson's velocity was down.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 13th, 2013, 1:50 pm

It's important to remember that Bundy is still ~1 year removed from high school. He's building up his innings and his arm has never pitched for 6 months at a time. This is not a surprise.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » March 13th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I agree, which is why I was against him being called up last year as well as the possibility this year. Let him learn how to pitch so he's not just another guy that is making trips to and from Norfolk. We really need him to become a solid #1 guy. I see no need to rush him to do spot duty in the majors.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by ofahn » March 13th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I agree, which is why I was against him being called up last year as well as the possibility this year. Let him learn how to pitch so he's not just another guy that is making trips to and from Norfolk. We really need him to become a solid #1 guy. I see no need to rush him to do spot duty in the majors.

I watched him pitch against the Yankees in Tampa two Wednesdays ago and he has a very effective deception in his delivery to go with good velocity. He pitched two innings. The first he looked nervous and it showed in his command and his pitch count. The second inning he looked much more relaxed and breezed through. He just needs to relax. He should know that he's NOT competing for a spot in the rotation, nor should he be at this point. I expect him to light up AAA for about three months and then we'll see if he;'s needed in Baltimore at that point.

The deception I was talking about is the way he dips his right shoulder backwards as he delivers. Because he's not the prototypical 6'5'' SP the ball looks like it's coming at the hitter in a non linear motion which can be very effective when he's throwing at any speed above 90 MPH becuase the hiiter won't get a good look at it until it's almost on top of him. If he can bring his change up at about 80 MPH with the same motion he will only need to use the curve about ten times a game as an out pitch.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » March 13th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Probably because I have some kind of organizational problem, I absolutely hate it when management allows players to move on/skip to a higher affiliate without complete dominance or even semi- effectiveness at the previous level when dealing with a prospect of any relevance. Regardless of the player's development, I honestly wish we could say a Orioles pitching prospect(could be a position prospect too)got a proper amount of time in the minor leagues, with a full year at every minor league station, before getting rushed to the big leagues(Matusz, Britton, etc.) It might be crazy, and it's just me, but this is exactly how I would run a minor league organization.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by thezeroes » March 13th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Bundy falls into a different category than does Gausman and others. He was signed to a MLB contract and placed on the Forty Man roster. He already use an option year in 2012 and will use his second option year in 2013. It will be a shorter road to the majors because we can not wait the usual 4/5 years of development of a high school player without having him out of options in 2015.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » March 14th, 2013, 11:54 am

Read on OH he was popping 93 yesterday. Maybe we all need to relax and let the guy get healed up a bit 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #15 by osforlife » March 14th, 2013, 5:51 pm

thezeroes wrote:Bundy falls into a different category than does Gausman and others. He was signed to a MLB contract and placed on the Forty Man roster. He already use an option year in 2012 and will use his second option year in 2013. It will be a shorter road to the majors because we can not wait the usual 4/5 years of development of a high school player without having him out of options in 2015.

Yes I was aware of that, but put it aside for a minute. Thanks for bringing that up. I understand we cannot let Bundy develop as we could with a high school pitcher with a different contract. I wasn't necessarily directing it towards him, even if I was hinting at it. I just wish we could slow our pitchers down a bit.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles