Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Brian Roberts Back???

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #16 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 9:00 am

Seafordeagles wrote:When healthy he is so much better than Casilla and Flaherty


No question. He brings a patience at the plate that we just don't see enough of in our lineup.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #17 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 9:13 am

LA Detective wrote:in the games I have seen he sure seems to be smacking the ball like he once did. I think it looks like he will be at least a .270/340 oba..35 dbl


Agreed.

I was at the game last Wednesday and, even though he didn't get a hit, everything he hit was hard. The fact that he has at least two doubles and a HR this early seems to indicate that he has his swing back.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #18 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 2:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
Agreed.

I was at the game last Wednesday and, even though he didn't get a hit, everything he hit was hard. The fact that he has at least two doubles and a HR this early seems to indicate that he has his swing back.


I don't think two doubles and a HR in the first week of spring training indicates anything at all.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #19 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 2:29 pm

I don't understand how people are unwilling to recognize that even if he hadn't suffered serious injuries over the last four years, a 35-year old player who's game is based primarily on speed would have severely declined as a player from his prime performance years. Throw in a major arm injury, a major hip injury, nagging back injuries, and serious brain trauma, and it is plainly obvious that whatever you think about him, Brian "The Best Oriole of the 2000s" Roberts is enormously unlikely to ever again be a productive player.

And his production when healthy over the last few years only serves as evidence for this point.
Last edited by A_K on March 5th, 2013, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #20 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 2:36 pm

A_K wrote:I don't think two doubles and a HR in the first week of spring training indicates anything at all.


I agree that the quality of pitching this early is sketchy, at best, but he's swing the bat with authority. He wasn't when he came back last year.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #21 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 2:37 pm

A_K wrote:I don't understand how people are unwilling to recognize that even if he hadn't suffered serious injuries over the last four years, a 35-year old player who's game is based primarily on speed would have severely declined as a player from his prime performance years. Throw in a major arm injury, a major hip injury, nagging back injuries, and serious brain trauma, and it is plainly obvious that whatever you think about Brian "The Best Oriole of the 2000s" Roberts is in a serious fight to remain a productive player.

And his production when healthy over the last few years only serves of evidence for this point.


I feel your pain and I would have traded him instead of resigning him.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #22 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 2:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
I feel your pain and I would have traded him instead of resigning him.


I've said before but should mention again that given his contract situation, I have no issue keeping him on the 40 man roster for spring training and giving him a fair shot to prove me wrong. But their should have been more of an effort to build a contingency plan than simply acquiring a scrub like Casilla (who is still in all likelihood better than Roberts).
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #23 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 2:58 pm

A_K wrote: their should have been more of an effort to build a contingency plan than simply acquiring a scrub like Casilla


I would pose the question: "from where and at what cost?"

There wasn't a quality free agent at that position nor was there an above average 2B available on the trade market. I don't know where the solution was.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #24 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Sign Kelly Johnson for the same contract he received with the Rays. He's significantly better than any of our current options (Roberts, Casilla, Navarro), and would have been a significant upgrade even last season, during the worst year of his career.

And on a one-year deal, he wouldn't be in the way of Schoop next year.

When you begin from the position of having the worst 2B talent in all of baseball (as the Orioles unquestionably do), virtually anything is an upgrade, and it can be achieved for little or no cost.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #25 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 3:19 pm

ZIPS projections:

Kelly Johnson: 141 games, 577 PAs, 223/313/377 (304 wOBA), -1 FLD, 0.2 BSR, 1.6 WAR
Brian Roberts: 51 games, 223 PAs,244/309/363 (294 wOBA), -3 FLD, 0.4 BSR, 0.2 WAR
Alexi Casilla: 105 games, 341 PAs, 250/304/347 (285 wOBA), -3 FLD, 1.7 BSR, 0.3 WAR
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #26 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 3:42 pm

A_K wrote:ZIPS projections:

Kelly Johnson: 141 games, 577 PAs, 223/313/377 (304 wOBA), -1 FLD, 0.2 BSR, 1.6 WAR
Brian Roberts: 51 games, 223 PAs,244/309/363 (294 wOBA), -3 FLD, 0.4 BSR, 0.2 WAR
Alexi Casilla: 105 games, 341 PAs, 250/304/347 (285 wOBA), -3 FLD, 1.7 BSR, 0.3 WAR


Zips projection sounds like someone that works for the Post Office.:) I hope you don't too get pissed off if he hits in the .260 to .275 range.

If he stays healthy and plays at least 125 games he's better than anyone else we have. He's signed for 2013 whether you like it or not and he's not going to get released. Please try to root for him and the Orioles to do well.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 684
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #27 by A_K » March 5th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Your stats from last season about Roberts is hardly worthy and you know it. I hope you don't too get pissed off if he hits in the .260 to .275 range.

If he stays healthy and plays at least 125 games he's better than anyone else we have. He's signed for 2013 whether you like it or not and he's not going to get released. Please try to root for him and the Orioles to do well.


It's very odd that you'd think it's difficult to simultaneously expect Roberts to be incapable of being a productive MLB player and to hope that I'm wrong and root for him to do well. In fact, it's a very simple task.

Also, you should know that I didn't post his numbers from last season. I posted his projected numbers for this season, which are based on his past performance in comparison with the career trajectories of all other players in the history of baseball.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #28 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 4:10 pm

A_K wrote:ZIPS projections:

Kelly Johnson: 141 games, 577 PAs, 223/313/377 (304 wOBA), -1 FLD, 0.2 BSR, 1.6 WAR
Brian Roberts: 51 games, 223 PAs,244/309/363 (294 wOBA), -3 FLD, 0.4 BSR, 0.2 WAR
Alexi Casilla: 105 games, 341 PAs, 250/304/347 (285 wOBA), -3 FLD, 1.7 BSR, 0.3 WAR


I have a hard time giving any credence to projections for a player coming back from an injury AND I was under the impression that Kelly Johnson was somewhat defensively challenged. Does anyone have stats that say something different?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 4:32 pm

A_K wrote:


It's very odd that you'd think it's difficult to simultaneously expect Roberts to be incapable of being a productive MLB player and to hope that I'm wrong and root for him to do well. In fact, it's a very simple task.

Also, you should know that I didn't post his numbers from last season. I posted his projected numbers for this season, which are based on his past performance in comparison with the career trajectories of all other players in the history of baseball.


You also didn't see where I edited my post after re-reading your post.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 684
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #30 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Like they said on the game last week. If Brian can come close to what he's done when he's healthy it would be like signing a very good free agent. If I remember correctly there weren't any better options in free agency for 2nd baseman this year.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 684
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Seafordeagles and 10 guests