Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brewers, Orioles Eyeing Harang

Brewers, Orioles Eyeing Harang

PostPost #1 by osforlife » March 4th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Scouts from the Brewers and Orioles watched as Aaron Harang pitched in a minor league game today, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports. Harang, who doesn’t have a clear role on the Dodgers’ pitching staff at this point, pitched three scoreless innings. The 34-year-old appears to be a likely trade candidate given his team’s pitching depth.

Harang started 31 games for the Dodgers last year, posting a 3.61 ERA with 6.6 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 in 179 2/3 innings. The 34-year-old will earn $7MM in 2013 and his contract includes a $7MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout for 2014.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/03/b ... arang.html

Even though we have a pretty shaky top four starting pitchers, and we'd be able to get Harang for scraps, I would not be a fan of trade to acquire him.
- he posted career bests or near career bests in ERA, H/9, HR/9 at age 34
- he posted a career high walk rate and near career low strikeout rate last year
- a 1.403 WHIP, 4.14 FIP, and 4.95 xFIP suggest a mid 3 ERA is simply unsustainable
- he is expensive at $7mil this year and at least a $2mil buyout for 2014
- pitching in the national league, in two pitcher's parks, he suddenly posts respectable ERA's.

Aaron Harang is not much of an upgrade over Steve Johnson in my opinion. Chris Capuano is the more attractive piece.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Brewers, Orioles Eyeing Harang

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 4th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » March 5th, 2013, 12:47 am

For me it's just how shaking the team feels about it's rotation. If they think there are real storm clouds coming you go get a veteran. If it's just for insurance and the price is acceptable... "Maybe"
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 7:48 am

I would have been much happier with Saunders and probably better off in the long run. Plus he wouldn't cost you a player from the minor league system.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 8:56 am

Seafordeagles wrote:I would have been much happier with Saunders and probably better off in the long run. Plus he wouldn't cost you a player from the minor league system.

It's a moot point because Saunders wasn't going to come here without a multi year contract, and we would have been stupid to give him one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 9:50 am

ofahn wrote:
It's a moot point because Saunders wasn't going to come here without a multi year contract, and we would have been stupid to give him one.

Didn't he sign a one year deal?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 10:00 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Didn't he sign a one year deal?

Yes, with SEATTLE because he felt that park would allow him to post better numbers to rebuild his value. He wants a multi year deal and he's not going to get what he wants if he doesn't put up good numbers.

IMO if we would have offered him an (ill advised) two year deal he would have taken it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » March 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

I lean toward getting him if it doesn't cost us much in the way of players. Of the guys trying out for their fifth rotation spot that Saunders held down, only Britton is pitching well in the early going. And who knows if the other four w/come back and duplicate last year. For those reasons,I wouldn't mind their bringing in veteran who's been dependable.They'd have to analyze him and see if he's too much of a fly ball pitcher and how he's fared against the better-hitting clubs. But if I had to make a decision today, I'd say get him.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 10:42 am

mikezpen wrote:Of the guys trying out for their fifth rotation spot that Saunders held down, only Britton is pitching well in the early going.

Are you including Steve Johnson in that group? He's been almost lights out this spring.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » March 5th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I think once the Orioles figure out that Matusz belong in his lights out situational role of a year ago, I think Steve Johnson could get that 5th spot. It looks like it's down to him or Britton right now. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » March 5th, 2013, 12:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yes, with SEATTLE because he felt that park would allow him to post better numbers to rebuild his value. He wants a multi year deal and he's not going to get what he wants if he doesn't put up good numbers.

IMO if we would have offered him an (ill advised) two year deal he would have taken it.

I stated I would rather have Saunders. Harang is locked up for 2 years I believe. With that being said I would still rather have Saunders then Harang for 2 years plus we would not have to give a player in return. Even though I realize talking about Saunders "is" a moot point.

I see no reason to acquire Harang who is on a downward spiral. We have better starters on our roster right now who probably will begin the season in Norfolk.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I stated I would rather have Saunders. Harang is locked up for 2 years I believe. With that being said I would still rather have Saunders then Harang for 2 years plus we would not have to give a player in return. Even though I realize talking about Saunders "is" a moot point.

I see no reason to acquire Harang who is on a downward spiral. We have better starters on our roster right now who probably will begin the season in Norfolk.

If you're saying that you would rather have Saunders than Harang on the SAME contract then I agree, but either of those two guys on a two year deal just doesn't make sense for us with what we have coming through the system. I would rather trade for Porcello and rebuild him like we did with Tillman. I'm also not opposes to s REASONABLE two year extension for Hammel once we know his knee is solid.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » March 5th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Jason Hammel, Wei Yen Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, and Chris Tillman are locks for the rotation. Steve Johnson, Todd Redmond, Jair Jurrjens, and TJ McFarland are all candidates to start, but none of them should be particularly good. Jake Arrieta, Zach Britton, and Brian Matusz could all start, but if I was running the show, I'd send them all to AAA. So we have a potentially good rotation, but also potentially horrible rotation. IMO, Aaron Harang doesn't really stabilize anything.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 8:24 pm

osforlife wrote:Jason Hammel, Wei Yen Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, and Chris Tillman are locks for the rotation. Steve Johnson, Todd Redmond, Jair Jurrjens, and TJ McFarland are all candidates to start, but none of them should be particularly good. Jake Arrieta, Zach Britton, and Brian Matusz could all start, but if I was running the show, I'd send them all to AAA. So we have a potentially good rotation, but also potentially horrible rotation. IMO, Aaron Harang doesn't really stabilize anything.

You make very good points, but you (like everyone else) did not mention Steve Johnson as a potential #5 SP. What does this poor guy have to do to earn some respect?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by thezeroes » March 5th, 2013, 9:42 pm

What is it exactly that a ball club expects out of a 33 year old or older starter??
Doing a little research on Baseball Reference I got the following break down for pitchers from 1999 to 2012, fourteen year span.
For a pitcher that will be 33 years of age during a season, with at least 100 innings pitched throughout that year and over this fourteen year stretch only 81 players were found.
For a pitcher that will be 34 years of age during a season, with at least 100 innings pitched throughout that year and over this fourteen year stretch only 67 players were found.
For a pitcher that will be 35 years of age during a season, with at least 100 innings pitched throughout that year and over this fourteen year stretch only 48 players were found.
For a pitcher that will be 36 years of age during a season, with at least 100 innings pitched throughout that year and over this fourteen year stretch only 43 players were found.
For a pitcher that will be 37 years of age during a season, with at least 100 innings pitched throughout that year and over this fourteen year stretch only 32 players were found.
From age 33 to age 37 only 13 pitchers fell within the parameters described above. That is they pitched over the entire 5 year age span, pitched at least 100 innings or more per year each year. To me I would take any pitcher that was going into their age 33 seasons and looking for a long term deal and compare their respective lifetime stats and durability to these 13 pitchers.
Al Leiter
Andy Pettitte
Curt Schilling
Derek Lowe
Greg Maddux
Hiroki Kuroda
Jose Contreras
Mike Mussina
Paul Byrd
Steve Sparks
Tim Wakefield
Tom Glavine