Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hobgood

Hobgood

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » February 25th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Has anyone caught site of him yet? I saw a photo of him and he looks like he is in great shape, maybe best of his life. His curveball was so good in HS I still have hopes for him.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #2 by dan72 » February 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

I hope you are correct. What a wild card that would be. No one has any expectations for this kid, if he were able to come back and pitch well, that would certainly add to our depth.
One would think that he is heading for Rule 5, unless he can pitch really well. I have been very open about my disapointment in Hobgood, I sure hope he proves me wrong.
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 368
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 26th, 2013, 11:24 am

dan72 wrote:I hope you are correct. What a wild card that would be. No one has any expectations for this kid, if he were able to come back and pitch well, that would certainly add to our depth.
One would think that he is heading for Rule 5, unless he can pitch really well. I have been very open about my disapointment in Hobgood, I sure hope he proves me wrong.


I wouldn't be too worried about Rule 5 issues with him; that won't be for another four or five years.

At this point I would be happy if he just found a role as a middle reliever.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #4 by A_K » March 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

I'd be interested to hear if there's any precedent for a player like Hobgood, who was either bad or injured for the first four years after being drafted, making it to the major leagues.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 4th, 2013, 9:06 pm

A_K wrote:I'd be interested to hear if there's any precedent for a player like Hobgood, who was either bad or injured for the first four years after being drafted, making it to the major leagues.


Excellent question.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » March 13th, 2013, 9:41 pm

You'd probably find a number of relief pitchers as examples.

Hobgood did pitch a few days ago, 25 tosses, straight fastballs. No negative reports after is good news.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Last I had heard they were going to try him at 1B. Is that erroneous or just a fall back plan if he can't throw this season?
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 778
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 14th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Last I had heard they were going to try him at 1B. Is that erroneous or just a fall back plan if he can't throw this season?


Where did you hear this?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » March 14th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Last year, no clue on source so it could well just be a dumb rumor.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 778
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #10 by ofahn » March 14th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Last year, no clue on source so it could well just be a dumb rumor.


I wouldn't place much stock in that.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #11 by bird's fan » March 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Rising O's wrote:Has anyone caught site of him yet? I saw a photo of him and he looks like he is in great shape, maybe best of his life. His curveball was so good in HS I still have hopes for him.
I understand he's throwing pain free so let's hope this keeps up
bird's fan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 29
Joined: February 2011
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #12 by ofahn » March 25th, 2013, 1:21 pm

bird's fan wrote:I understand he's throwing pain free so let's hope this keeps up


Would you post a source for this, please?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » March 25th, 2013, 8:46 pm

According to Steve Melewski, Hobgood will be pitching out of the pen as a 2 inning guy to build up arm strength and hopefully help return velocity to the fastball.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #14 by ofahn » March 25th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Thanks.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Hobgood

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » March 26th, 2013, 2:17 pm

But we don't know what club (if any) he will be assigned to yet. I looked on all the minor league rosters and do not see him.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 778
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32


Next

Return to Minor Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron