Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Brian Roberts Back???

Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » March 4th, 2013, 3:48 pm

What do you think?? Can we count on him as our every day second baseman??? Are you worried he will get hurt again?? Should we have kept Andino for insurance?? Or will Flaherty be our ace in the hole?? He has looked good in ST... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Is Brian Roberts Back???

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 4:47 pm

To me having a healthy Brian Roberts who can put up average "Brian Roberts numbers" will be the deciding factor if they make the playoffs again. I'm pulling for him that's for sure.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by A_K » March 4th, 2013, 5:08 pm

He won't be able to stay healthy for any sustained period and won't be productive even when he's in the lineup.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 5:25 pm

A_K wrote:He won't be able to stay healthy for any sustained period and won't be productive even when he's in the lineup.

Time will tell is all I can say. I prefer to think positively since I'm really lousy at predicting the future.:)
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by A_K » March 4th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Time will tell is all I can say. I prefer to think positively since I'm really lousy at predicting the future.:)

I'm also lousy at it, but find history is the best indicator. Certainly he could beat the odds (as the Orioles as a team did last year), but it's highly unlikely.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 5:52 pm

A_K wrote:
I'm also lousy at it, but find history is the best indicator. Certainly he could beat the odds (as the Orioles as a team did last year), but it's highly unlikely.

Even though it's spring training I've really been encouraged with what he has done so far. If he can come close to what he was before all the troubles it's a real bonus. When healthy he is so much better than Casilla and Flaherty.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » March 4th, 2013, 6:50 pm

I really didnt think he could ever be that top of the order guy again but in the games I have seen he sure seems to be smacking the ball like he once did. I think it looks like he will be at least a .270/340 oba..35 dbl.. 15 hr..maybe 20 sb type a guy as long as he stays healthy. And justify batting near the top of the order. I still like him batting #2. It is so great to see. I think him playing 125 healthy games for us would also add a very emotional lift to our already focused team.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 7:00 pm

LA Detective wrote:I really didnt think he could ever be that top of the order guy again but in the games I have seen he sure seems to be smacking the ball like he once did. I think it looks like he will be at least a .270/340 oba..35 dbl.. 15 hr..maybe 20 sb type a guy as long as he stays healthy. And justify batting near the top of the order. I still like him batting #2. It is so great to see. I think him playing 125 healthy games for us would also add a very emotional lift to our already focused team.

Nice post, and I wouldn't have a problem with him batting 9th. When that lineup turns over you could have Roberts, McClouth, and Markakis in a row. That would be a good lineup especially against a righthander.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by osforlife » March 4th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Until he proves me wrong, I won't expect anything other than one month of terrible baseball.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 7:17 pm

osforlife wrote:Until he proves me wrong, I won't expect anything other than one month of terrible baseball.

It's well documented about your feelings towards Brian Roberts in other threads. It's like you want him to fail for some reason. I don't understand how a oriole fan can feel the way you do.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by osforlife » March 4th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
It's well documented about your feelings towards Brian Roberts in other threads. It's like you want him to fail for some reason. I don't understand how a oriole fan can feel the way you do.

I do not want to fail. I never root against the Orioles. He was my favorite player when I was younger. While I'll be rooting for him, I don't expect him to produce effectively, let alone stay healthy. He has played in 115 games the last three years, with each year dwindling in games and production. This year, he is one year 34 and 4 years removed from his last full season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #12 by A_K » March 4th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I'm right on board with osforlife. I'd love to be proven wrong but the evidence available is unambiguous: his professional career is over and the Baltimore Orioles don't have a single qualified major league 2B on their roster.

If he can stay healthy for another month, it looks like he'll open the season as the starting 2B. But after he hits below .200 and plays subpar D for a month, hopefully they'll do the right thing and move him into a role as a glorified mascot and make a legitimate effort to acquire someone who can offer positive value.

I find it somewhat humorous how much overlap there is between the "Roberts can be a good 2B" camp and the "the Orioles are a legitimate contender in 2013" camp. If you think this team is a playoff team, you should be righteously angry that they left their biggest hole from 2012 to be filled by a 35 year old player coming off four years of injuries who hasn't put up a decent season since Daniel Cabrera was still on the team.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Seafordeagles » March 4th, 2013, 11:18 pm

A_K wrote:I'm right on board with osforlife. I'd love to be proven wrong but the evidence available is unambiguous: his professional career is over and the Baltimore Orioles don't have a single qualified major league 2B on their roster.

If he can stay healthy for another month, it looks like he'll open the season as the starting 2B. But after he hits below .200 and plays subpar D for a month, hopefully they'll do the right thing and move him into a role as a glorified mascot and make a legitimate effort to acquire someone who can offer positive value.

I find it somewhat humorous how much overlap there is between the "Roberts can be a good 2B" camp and the "the Orioles are a legitimate contender in 2013" camp. If you think this team is a playoff team, you should be righteously angry that they left their biggest hole from 2012 to be filled by a 35 year old player coming off four years of injuries who hasn't put up a decent season since Daniel Cabrera was still on the team.

I find nothing humorous at all. Maybe you need to find a reason to root for him to be decent rather than being so down on him.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » March 5th, 2013, 12:44 am

Is the guy likely to be an all-star?

Probably not, he's 35 years old. However, when healthy he's the man. We will know more as ST goes on and once the season begins. However, this is the man's last shot at a handsome contract and if he can do it, you can bet he will! Don't be so quick to discount him. He need not hit 50 doubles to excel either. If he can dish out singles and bat around .270-.280 this will be a much improved offense. Injury? OK. It's more than possible, but even a healthy Brian Roberts half the season is better than any other option to lead off.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #15 by ofahn » March 5th, 2013, 8:58 am

A_K wrote:He won't be able to stay healthy for any sustained period

Agree

A_K wrote:won't be productive even when he's in the lineup.

Disagree
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles