Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's Pitchers Available

O's Pitchers Available

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » February 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Rosenthal Tweets:
One rival exec expects #Orioles to talk about LHP Zach Britton in trades later in spring. Orioles’ surplus well-documented. Arrieta too.
9:40 p.m. Fri, Feb 22
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: O's Pitchers Available

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 24th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I'm predicting at least one of those two are traded by July 31st.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 25th, 2013, 7:50 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I'm predicting at least one of those two are traded by July 31st.

I could see a deadline deal more than a ST deal.

I look at our current roster and really can't see where we would be able to improve it at any position BOTH offensively and defensively by trading one or two of our pitchers. By July we might be looking for an upgrade at 2B, but I'm not sure I see that upgrade on the roster of any team that would be willing to concede that they're out of the race by then.

Unless we can acquire an impact player I would rather hold on to our starting pitchers, even if it means keeping them in the minors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » February 25th, 2013, 9:18 pm

O's might be a little thin heading into next year for starting pitching.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by ofahn » February 25th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Rising O's wrote:O's might be a little thin heading into next year for starting pitching.

Are you taking into consideration that Bundy and Gausman should both be ready by then?

Chen is signed through next year and then it's pick four of Tillman, Gonzales, Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Bundy, and Gausman; and that's before you start considering the possibility that BOBBY Bundy and Mike Wright might be ready.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » February 25th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Rookies rarely stay on a ML roster for a full season. Expect half a season at best from either Bundy or Gausman and the others. Everyone else is still an unknown to some extent. Several might prove themselves by the trade deadline warranting a move to improve the club for 2014. We'll see about Bobby Bundy's shoulder. Right now definitely too early to be thinking about moving any pitchers.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » February 26th, 2013, 5:08 am

I think the guy they'd likely move in July is Hammel because he's a FA after this year.They seem reluctant to trade the young pitchers.
On the other hand, if they're in the race then, and Hammel's really pitching well, they'd probably keep him in hopes of winning big in post season.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » February 26th, 2013, 11:34 am

ofahn wrote:
Are you taking into consideration that Bundy and Gausman should both be ready by then?

Chen is signed through next year and then it's pick four of Tillman, Gonzales, Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Bundy, and Gausman; and that's before you start considering the possibility that BOBBY Bundy and Mike Wright might be ready.

Good Post~ A point for you sir!

It's easy to forget that there is more pitching beyond Bundy and Gausman in the minors. Also, when talking about moving our own pitchers another team may part with a prospect that needs more seasoning in exchange for a guy that is in the majors now. I would feel better about that then landing a utility player.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 26th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Good Post~ A point for you sir!

Thanks.

Old Sneakers wrote:It's easy to forget that there is more pitching beyond Bundy and Gausman in the minors.

Keep the name Eduardo Rodriguez in the back of your mind. He might be a SERIOUS SP candidate in ST 2015.

Old Sneakers wrote:Also, when talking about moving our own pitchers another team may part with a prospect that needs more seasoning in exchange for a guy that is in the majors now. I would feel better about that then landing a utility player.

I was think about the same thing. If we could get a solid 3B or 2B prospect for one of our pitchers I would make the move.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » February 26th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I don't see Matusz going anywhere. He will be a fixture here. Arrietta I could see being showcased based on his spring 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by rudyrooster » February 26th, 2013, 6:51 pm

mikezpen wrote:I think the guy they'd likely move in July is Hammel because he's a FA after this year.They seem reluctant to trade the young pitchers.
On the other hand, if they're in the race then, and Hammel's really pitching well, they'd probably keep him in hopes of winning big in post season.

I absolutely agree. A point for you...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » February 28th, 2013, 5:47 am

Thanks
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles