Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

So Far, So Good

So Far, So Good

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 25th, 2013, 11:27 am

The Orioles have started ST the same way we ended the regular season: quality pitching and timely hitting. I understand that ST games mean NOTHING in the final standings, BUT players performing well is ALWAYS a good sign.

I get good vibes from this camp. There's enthusiasm and optimism. We have quality competition for the rotation and several positions. If we avoid serious key injuries we should have some real momentum heading into the season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: So Far, So Good

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » February 25th, 2013, 12:56 pm

In the first time that I can recall in years there is "legitimate" competition for the starting pitching spots. There's going to be some really tough decisions coming down.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 25th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Awesome to see Roberts with two doubles today, and they weren't just dribblers down the line.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by steve » February 25th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Theyre playing great! just watched them on MASN. But ofahn i would not like it if they finish first in grapefruit league. Its bad luck to finish first at any preseason games at any sport.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » February 25th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Awesome to see Roberts with two doubles today, and they weren't just dribblers down the line.

Man I'm really pulling for him. Hopefully he can silence his critics.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by ofahn » February 25th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Man I'm really pulling for him. Hopefully he can silence his critics.

...and he would be a REAL asset to this team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by rudyrooster » February 25th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Some of the players are off to really good starts this spring. Let's hope it's contagious (but just for our team).
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » February 26th, 2013, 5:16 am

They have the most depth on their roster than they've had in recent memory.I recall 2003 when their starting rotation was Sidney Ponson, Rodrigo Lopez and then nothing. Now they have 7 or 8 good candidates trying out for their FIFTH rotation spot.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » February 26th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Can Roberts stay healthy?? Big key to the season IMHO.. Ideally I would like to find another 2B who could play 60-70 games and keep Roberts "fresh" over the long haul. Could Flaherty be that guy with the potential to give Hardy a day off now and then??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » February 26th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Some key questions coming into ST seem to headed toward the good:
- CDavis looks like he will be more than fine at first. He is more athletic and has a longer wingspan than MR. Just needs to stay away form the occasional blunder.
- Reimold is playing and gaining strength. He only looks rusty
- BR apparently has that crack back in his bat. Everyone has to be rooting for him. Could provide an emotional lift if he produces
- Jurrjens looks healthy
- Britton looks strong and hitting spots
- Matusz controled his fastball low in the zone better yesterday than any of his starts last year
- Flaherty looks like he can be a very capable backup at short. Adds Depth for us. Will be an upgrade over Castilla some time this season if not seeing alot of action at 2b
- Gausman looks like the real deal
- It looks like whoever wins that last spot on the bench will have to be good and will provide some value for the big club.
- Hendrickson might be a find. After no one in the inter-squad got it out of the infield, he gave up only two bloop singles yesterday.

Its going to be a long ST and some bad things will happen but some question marks sure look good early.

Oh, i enjoyed watching Z.Clark yesterday. Anyother year and he could be a suprise pick to sometime making the club.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 27th, 2013, 3:40 pm

LA Detective wrote:- Flaherty looks like he can be a very capable backup at short. Adds Depth for us. Will be an upgrade over Castilla some time this season if not seeing alot of action at 2b

Look at this play made by Flaherty at SS today:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/video/ ... d=26659152

I think he's going to make the 25 man roster out of ST and will be a very valuable player for the O's this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by LA Detective » February 28th, 2013, 5:30 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I think he's going to make the 25 man roster out of ST and will be a very valuable player for the O's this year.

I agree he could and would be ideal for us but I believe barring any injuries to our infielders that he will be sent down to play ss and 2b everyday and hitting everyday. I think the thought is to maximize his chance to be more than just a supersub.

I watched the game last night out here on the westcoast at 11p on MLB. I saw that play unfold. Amazing. I feel alot better about depth at SS and I still believe Flaherty will serve as our starting 2b at some point and wont make it easy for JShoop when he is ready.

Some other things I saw last night:
Jake A. hit 95-96 often and some pitches looked good low in the zone but for the most part was all over the place.

Man Bundy looks good. He didnt even come close to his norm velocity and he seemed unhittable.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #13 by mikezpen » March 1st, 2013, 4:24 pm

Arrieta simply can't locate his pitches unfortunately.

Agree w/you on Flaherty. While I'd hate to waste a valuable roster slot on a dead bat, I'd let some scrub sub in at short. Put Flaherty down at Norfolk so he can get regular at-bats and develop properly.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » March 5th, 2013, 1:15 pm

If there is one guy on this roster I would like to see get a new address, it's Arrieta. Time to MOVE ON!!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by mikezpen » March 5th, 2013, 4:41 pm

If he has an option left, I'd send Arrieta to Norfolk and see if things can somehow switch on for him.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles