Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Claim Todd Redmond, Designate Trayvon Robinson

Re: Orioles Claim Todd Redmond, Designate Trayvon Robinson

PostPost #16 by osforlife » February 21st, 2013, 4:00 pm

Re-thinking the Orioles' organization's outfield situation, I came up with a different scenario.

Orioles: Nate McLouth LF, Adam Jones CF, Nick Markakis RF, Nolan Reimold OF
Tides: LJ Hoes LF, Xavier Avery CF, Chris Dickerson RF, Steve Pearce OF
Baysox: Lew Ford LF, Trent Mummey CF, Ronnie Welty RF, Trayvon Robinson OF

I think that is realistic. I keep getting how the minor league positions will look like and how I want them to look like mixed up. All the OF's are getting regular at-bats. Steve Pearce could be a quality player at the major league level. He could be a back-up 4th outfielder and first baseman. He has hit LHP pretty well during his career, and I was even suggesting platooning him with Nate McLouth for awhile in left field. But, it is a little illogical to have Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearce on the same roster, given they are both RHH outfielders. Roberts and Reimold are kind of messing up other player's chances. I wouldn't be shocked if both of them get hurt, but you almost have to give them a chance. I definitely see Pearce serving in Reimold's role later this year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by A_K » February 21st, 2013, 5:04 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Roberts is going to play. What about Casilla?

I have Casilla as the starting 2B and Roberts either cut or retired. He's no longer good at baseball and doesn't belong on a major league team.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » February 21st, 2013, 5:59 pm

A_K wrote:
I have Casilla as the starting 2B and Roberts either cut or retired. He's no longer good at baseball and doesn't belong on a major league team.

Okay, but that ain't going to happen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by A_K » February 21st, 2013, 6:11 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Okay, but that ain't going to happen.

It's possible he'll last through spring training, and the season will begin with him in the starting lineup, Casilla on the bench, and Flaherty in the minors. But the team won't be able to hide him as a starting 2B and presumed leadoff hitter the way they were able last year to hide Kevin Gregg, another terrible player with a massive contract. But after a month of Roberts batting south of .200 and playing bad defense, the team will have to make a move.

And that's presuming he stays healthy, which is presuming an awful lot.

I don't see any reason to view Roberts' presence on the roster right now as anything more than a mix of a charity case and an organizational decision to add another mascot. I'm looking at the roster and the team's season as though he doesn't exist.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by ofahn » February 21st, 2013, 6:17 pm

osforlife wrote:it is a little illogical to have Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearce on the same roster, given they are both RHH outfielders.

I could see Reimold being a platoon split with Betemit leaving Pearce to be a platoon split with McLouth.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by osforlife » February 21st, 2013, 9:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see Reimold being a platoon split with Betemit leaving Pearce to be a platoon split with McLouth.

Yes that is what I was saying at the beginning of the offseason. Betemit DH vs. RHP/ Reimold DH vs. LHP. McLouth LF vs. RHP/ Pearce LF vs. LHP. That way Reimold had a better chance of staying healthy. Casilla backs-up 2nd, 3rd, SS. Pearce backs-up OF, and 1B. It could still happen, but I think Betemit vs. RHP/Valencia vs. LHP and McLouth LF vs. RHP/Reimold LF vs. LHP with Casilla backing up 2nd, SS, Betemit/Valencia backing up the corner infield positions, and Reimold/McLouth backing up OF positions seems likely too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by mikezpen » February 26th, 2013, 5:03 am

I'm glad Robinson's back. He's someone I could see forcing his way on to the team this spring.They have an awful lot of guys trying to land spots. If the numbers game gets too tight, you mite see Betemit moved.

A team that really needs outfielders and might be willing to give something for Betemit is a team they wouldn't want to help-the Yankees.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles