Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Be Interested In Bobby Abreu?

Would You Be Interested In Bobby Abreu?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 15th, 2013, 1:35 pm

The Orioles may consider signing outfielder Bobby Abreu, but first plan to “see what they have in camp,”tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Heyman previously reported that theMarlins and Rays could be in the mix for the 38-year-old Abreu.

Would you be interested in Bobby Abreu and, if so, WHY?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/a ... abreu.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Would You Be Interested In Bobby Abreu?

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » February 15th, 2013, 1:43 pm

If the Rays or Marlins want to pay a player with declining skills I am all for it. As for the Orioles, I'd rather they save their money and build for the future not the past.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » February 15th, 2013, 2:11 pm

As DH depth on a VERY cheap deal, sure why not? But only under the conditions that he gets ZERO time in the OF and little to no ABs against LHP. Even in that role I don't see a spot for him on the roster with so many options vying for time at DH.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » February 15th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I'm okay with a low risk let's take a look trial in ST. What do you have to lose??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 15th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Bobby Abreu is an excellent guy. I felt bad for him last year when the Angels cut him; they cut the wrong player(Vernon Wells!). At this point in his career, he would have one purpose, at that would be to get on-base; he really can't contribute with anything else. That being said, we have Betemit as our DH vs. RHP, Reimold as a potentially very valuable back-up, and already a log-jam at AAA. He isn't a fit for us, but I wish him the best of luck.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by dan72 » February 17th, 2013, 9:28 pm

If you are going to consider Abreu why wouldn't you consider Thome first? As far as I know I have not heard Thome annonce his retirment. I like Thome better if I had to choose one.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » February 21st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Abreu can play the field and Thome cannot. I like Thome's power potential but can he still make contact consistently??? My guess is that ship has sailed 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles