Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jim Johnson and Jason Hammel sign new deals

Jim Johnson and Jason Hammel sign new deals

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » February 8th, 2013, 9:28 pm

The Orioles announced that they have avoided arbitration with Jason Hammel by agreeing to a one-year deal. The Octagon client will receive $6.75MM according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com (on Twitter) while Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets that Hammel can earn an additional $300K through performance bonuses.

According to MLBTR's Tim Dierkes (on Twitter), the right-hander will earn $100K for each of the following benchmarks: starting 25 games, 175 innings pitched, and 190 innings pitched.

Hammel filed for $8.25MM in arbitration while the Orioles countered with $5.7MM. This one-year deal is slightly less than the the $6.975MM midpoint but through incentives he can go over that mark. The 30-year-old is in his third and arbitration year and is eligible to hit the open market after the 2013 season.

The Orioles and closer Jim Johnson have avoided arbitration with a one-year deal, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter). The Moye Sports Associates client will will make $6.5MM in 2013 with $50K more available in performance bonuses based on games finished, Connolly tweets.

The deal is right around the midpoint as Johnson filed for $7.1MM in arbitration while the Orioles countered with $5.7MM. The new deal marks a significant raise for Johnson, who earned $2.625MM last season.

Johnson, 29, pitched to a 2.49 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9 in 71 games, earning him his first career All-Star selection. This was Johnson's third year of arbitration eligibility thanks to his Super Two status. The right-hander is scheduled to exchange figures with the O's once more after the 2013 season and hit the open market after the 2014 campaign.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Jim Johnson and Jason Hammel sign new deals

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » February 8th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Well, with it being a done deal. I can honestly hope that both of these guys exceed all expectations and earn huge deals for themselves next year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » February 9th, 2013, 1:05 pm

I still would like to see Hammel signed to a 3 year contract if during ST his knee problems are completely over. I think we could get him for the same Guthurie got or less. 3yrs for the low-mid 20s. I really think he will have a AS caliber year. 210ip, low 3 ERA and 17 wins..Those type of numbers could get him 3 yrs for 40m. I just think he is a guy that has figured it out and also hasn't worn out his arm with alot of innings over the years. I think he will be very good the next 3 years. No matter what happens with Bundy and the rest of them, he still will be in our top 3.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 10th, 2013, 12:07 am

LA Detective wrote: I think we could get him for the same Guthurie got or less. 3yrs for the low-mid 20s. I really think he will have a AS caliber year. 210ip, low 3 ERA and 17 wins..Those type of numbers could get him 3 yrs for 40m.

If you could see him being worth 3/40M don't you think he will, too?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by rudyrooster » February 10th, 2013, 12:59 am

I think if the O's were going to "extend" Hammel they would have done so THIS off-season. I can only guess that they are looking at 2014 as the year of Bundy and Gausman moving to the forefront of the rotation, thus making Hammel not worth the money it would cost to retain him. Personally, I would love to see the O's extend him another 2 years at say around $16-$18m. I don't see that happening. They HAVE extended O'Day and chosen NOT to extend Hammel. That speaks volumes! It's certainly a conundrum the team is facing now. Let's say Hammel has at least a "decent" season this year--if the O's are out of the playoff hunt at the trade deadline then Hammel will be traded and the O's will at least get something in return for him. On the other hand, if the team is still in the playoff hunt they would likely not trade Hammel if he is indeed pitching well. He then walks away into free agency and the O's would probably thank him for his service to the team and not "pony up" the money (and years) he will require on the open market. An interesting situation indeed...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by ofahn » February 10th, 2013, 11:04 pm

rudyrooster wrote:I think if the O's were going to "extend" Hammel they would have done so THIS off-season. I can only guess that they are looking at 2014 as the year of Bundy and Gausman moving to the forefront of the rotation, thus making Hammel not worth the money it would cost to retain him. Personally, I would love to see the O's extend him another 2 years at say around $16-$18m. I don't see that happening. They HAVE extended O'Day and chosen NOT to extend Hammel. That speaks volumes! It's certainly a conundrum the team is facing now. Let's say Hammel has at least a "decent" season this year--if the O's are out of the playoff hunt at the trade deadline then Hammel will be traded and the O's will at least get something in return for him. On the other hand, if the team is still in the playoff hunt they would likely not trade Hammel if he is indeed pitching well. He then walks away into free agency and the O's would probably thank him for his service to the team and not "pony up" the money (and years) he will require on the open market. An interesting situation indeed...

If he has a good season and we don't see the need to resign him then we will probably make him a qualifying offer and get a draft pick. It's win-win situation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » February 11th, 2013, 1:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
If he has a good season and we don't see the need to resign him then we will probably make him a qualifying offer and get a draft pick. It's win-win situation.

Or it could be a case like Kyle Lohse and Michael Bourn where teams want to protect their draft picks. So it could definitely not be a win-win situation.

What happens if a free agent turns down a qualifying offer like Lohse and Bourn and then see that their is no market. Can they then decide to sign with the team that gave them the qualifying offer?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » February 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm

[/quote]

If you could see him being worth 3/40M don't you think he will, too?[/quote]

Very good point and very true. I think it would be worth us to offer. If he turns us down he turns us down. It would be security vs risk for him. We would be offering more than his past worth has shown but taking an educated and non crippling risk on his future. But yes, I could see how he would risk it and wait.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 11th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Or it could be a case like Kyle Lohse and Michael Bourn where teams want to protect their draft picks.

Bourn agreed to a deal today and Loshe probably will within a few days.

Even if Hammel accepts the qualifying offer and we don't want him he would be a quality trade chip at that price.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles