Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Keith Law's Organizational Rankings

Keith Law's Organizational Rankings

PostPost #1 by A_K » February 5th, 2013, 4:07 pm

He ranked the O's farm system 13:

13. Baltimore Orioles
Dylan Bundy emerged as the minors' best pitching prospect in 2012, while their first pick from last year's draft, Kevin Gausman, was one of the hottest names in Florida instructional league in September. They'd rank higher had Manny Machado not lost his rookie eligibility in September.

The Cardinals were 1, and the Angels were 30. In the AL East it was: Rays (3), Yankees (10), Orioles (13), Red Sox (17) and Blue Jays (24).
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Re: Keith Law's Organizational Rankings

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 5th, 2013, 4:35 pm

A_K wrote:AL East it was: Rays (3), Yankees (10), Orioles (13), Red Sox (17) and Blue Jays (24).

IMO ranking the Orioles as the third best farm system in the AL East is probably fair. I sincerely believe that Rick Peterson will have a very positive influence on our pitching prospects and you will see names like Eduardo Rodriguez, Tim Berry, Josh Hader, and Parker Bridwell take big leaps forward. I also have a feeling that Brenden Webb, Michael Ohlman, and Glynn Davis will demand attention. I wouldn't be surprised to see our farm system in the top ten next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » February 5th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Ranking us third in the division seems fair. Though it's hardly praising. Seems to me when you have players in your top 20 that are at High A and below that weren't high draft selections... Your system is thin! We must improve at player development. Too many developmental type picks in 2009 have been very slow to improve.

The draft come June will help sort that. We may not pick high this season but our selections are intact.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 5th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Seems to me when you have players in your top 20 that are at High A and below that weren't high draft selections... Your system is thin!

I don't mean to split hairs, but I want to point out that QUALITY player development has a lot more to do with a farm system's output than draft position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » February 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm

ofahn wrote:
I don't mean to split hairs, but I want to point out that QUALITY player development has a lot more to do with a farm system's output than draft position.

Absolutely! That wasn't what I meant by that anyway. Let me put it forwardly a little differently...

Our organization should have produced more talent in 2008 and 2009 that are still regarded as prospects that are filtering there way from Frederick to Bowie. I do not suggest they be stellar talents. However players that compare favorably to Brad Bergesen as a high and Jason Berken as a low. Guy's like this aren't stars, but very capable of supplying enough depth to the major league club to keep a team from being in a position where they "Must" make a trade at the deadline do to futility.

I should say that players like Tim Berry or Cameron Coffey are not my issue. These young men were drafted knowing it would be a long process and take time to show results if ever. I consider trying to develop guys like this the goal of ever team. However, by now we should have a number or young men that look to be solid relievers and utility types in the major leagues for short stints from these classes that were not high draft choices. Instead we have too many players that have reached their ceiling in High A.

Please note. I know teams aren't built by two or five draft classes. However, the goal should always be to maximize talent when it is available. I used to be a big Joe Jordan fan. Perhaps his budgets were limited. However we should have gotten more from these two classes regardless of injuries to those chosen. Just my opinion, but I think our team failed.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » February 6th, 2013, 2:38 pm

I'm surprised we were ranked that high :o
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 6th, 2013, 3:57 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm surprised we were ranked that high :o

OK, that's your opinion, but it's only appropriate that you explain WHY you feel that way.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles