Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Claim Canzler, Designate Martinez

Orioles Claim Canzler, Designate Martinez

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » February 5th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Russ Canzler's offseason travels haven't ended just yet -- the Orioles announced that they claimed the first baseman/outfielder off of waivers from the Yankees. Baltimore designated catcher Luis Martinez for assignment in a corresponding move.

The Yankees designated Canzler for assignment four days ago to create roster space for Travis Hafner. Not surprisingly, he failed to clear waivers. This marks the fourth time this winter he has been claimed off of waivers: the Blue Jays claimed him on December 21st, the Indians claimed him on January 2nd, and the Yankees claimed him on January 4th.

Canzler appeared in 26 games for the Indians this past season. The 26-year-old posted a .269/.299/.398 batting line in 97 MLB plate appearances while playing first base and left field. He spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a .265/.328/.487 batting line with 22 home runs and 36 doubles in 539 plate appearances.

The Orioles initially acquired Martinez from the Rangers with a January waiver claim. Martinez appeared in ten games with Texas this past season. He spent most of the year at Triple-A, where he hit .270/.350/.386 in 247 plate appearances. The 27-year-old also appeared in 22 games with the Padres in 2011, his first campaign in the Major Leagues.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/o ... tinez.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles Claim Canzler, Designate Martinez

PostPost #2 by osforlife » February 5th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Corner Infielder/Corner Outfield with pop; could he be Norfolk's 3rd basemen with Valencia having a good chance at making the roster? Currently, I have Caleb Joseph C, Ishikawa 1B, Buck Britton 2B, ? Russ Canzler ? 3B, Zelous Wheeler SS, LJ Hoes LF, Xavier Avery CF, Ty Kelly RF, Brandon Waring DH with Ryan Flaherty, Steve Pearce, Connor Jackson, and Luis Exposito getting a good amount of at-bats too. Luis MARTINEZ's offensive stats are better than Luis EXPOSITO's stats, maybe Exposito is good defensively.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by A_K » February 5th, 2013, 11:40 pm

I'd imagine Ryan Flaherty would be in line to start at SS and 2B (in that order) over Wheeler or Britton. I could see them moving him back and forth so he's prepared to be a utility player in the majors, but he'll be playing everyday at Norfolk.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by osforlife » February 6th, 2013, 10:44 am

A_K wrote:I'd imagine Ryan Flaherty would be in line to start at SS and 2B (in that order) over Wheeler or Britton. I could see them moving him back and forth so he's prepared to be a utility player in the majors, but he'll be playing everyday at Norfolk.

I did want to say Flaherty will be getting the most at-bats out of the three other players I listed with him, but I got too lazy. Flaherty will play everyday, rotating between 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF, and DH if I had a say.

BTW everybody, I just read that Valencia's name just popped up at the biogenesis facility. Maybe he has to serve a suspension and that is the reason for Russ Canzler's emergence. I'd have Canzler DH against LHP at the big league level, move Zelous Wheeler to 3B, and sign Munenori Kawasaki to play shortstop for the Tides. And again, with Flaherty playing everyday at various positions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » February 6th, 2013, 11:07 am

osforlife wrote:with Ryan Flaherty, Steve Pearce, Connor Jackson, and Luis Exposito getting a good amount of at-bats too.

I see Flaherty (as long as he's performing) being an everyday player with the majority of his time at 2B. IMO Buck Britton is an organizational player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 6th, 2013, 12:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
I see Flaherty (as long as he's performing) being an everyday player with the majority of his time at 2B. IMO Buck Britton is an organizational player.

I have Flaherty playing everyday, just at various positions. I believe his value will be greatest as a SUPER utility player, not just pinning him at one position. Buck Britton is probably nothing more than a bench player at the major league level, if that. But, he performed well at AA and deserves a chance at AAA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » February 6th, 2013, 2:11 pm

osforlife wrote:Buck Britton is probably nothing more than a bench player at the major league level, if that. But, he performed well at AA and deserves a chance at AAA.

Absolutely agree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » February 8th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Update on Martinez:

The Orioles announced that they outrighted catcher Luis Martinez to Triple-A after he cleared waivers. The Orioles designated Martinez for assignment three days ago after claiming him off of waivers from Texas last month. He hit .270/.350/.386 in 247 plate appearances at Triple-A this past season.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by osforlife » February 8th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Update on Martinez:

The Orioles announced that they outrighted catcher Luis Martinez to Triple-A after he cleared waivers. The Orioles designated Martinez for assignment three days ago after claiming him off of waivers from Texas last month. He hit .270/.350/.386 in 247 plate appearances at Triple-A this past season.

With all due respect, I hope he is the back-up in AAA. I still see Caleb Joseph having some potential.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » February 8th, 2013, 5:08 pm

osforlife wrote:With all due respect, I hope he is the back-up in AAA. I still see Caleb Joseph having some potential.

That's fine with me. I was just reporting the transaction.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » February 8th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Update on Martinez

Points for keeping things updated. Sometimes through the course of a season some of these waivers, claimed, released, or designated things get lost. it is always a good thing to have them updated. Thanks.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » February 19th, 2013, 3:52 am

I think Canzler w/b a real find.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles