Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Scout Questions Orioles

Scout Questions Orioles

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » February 3rd, 2013, 9:43 am

An AL East talent evaluator comments on the Orioles in Gorden Edes column:
"I tip my hat to the Orioles, they had a great year," the evaluator said, "but you wonder if they can do it again. They didn't make very many changes. They'll have [Manny] Machado for a full season at third, but he'll have growing pains, and they kept Nate McLouth, who'll probably platoon with [Nolan] Reimold in left. Will Danny Valencia, who they got in a trade from the Red Sox, make the team? And they also claimed Alexi Casillas from the Twins; he'll help in the infield.

"To me, the questions are with the pitching. [Wei-Yin] Chen had a great year, and [Jason] Hammel was pitching well until he had knee surgery. [Miguel] Gonzalez was a good sign. But they need [Zach] Britton healthy, [Brian] Matusz to pitch better. They also have to decide whether [top prospect] Dylan Bundy will be in the rotation. If the rotation is healthy and pitches well, then the Orioles will be in the mix."

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...boston-red-sox
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Scout Questions Orioles

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » February 3rd, 2013, 4:28 pm

Whomever wrote that article isn't familiar with the team.

Yes, he's correct the team didn't make much in the way of player acquisitions. Also it is possible that Manny Machado may experience some growing pains. However, the team's pitching was a strength because it's rotation was in a near constant state of change. Depth was a strength and will be again. The only thing he did get correct was Zach Britton and Brian Matusz. Though he makes no mention of Jake Arrieta or Chris Tillman, the two with the most potential. I suspect he read a brief rundown of last season's shortcomings and exhaled a quick article. I won't guess at which end of his body the article was expelled.

As for Dylan Bundy, he likely won't even see a September call up as he will needs to work on secondary pitches and build up his innings total. Last season because the team was in the thick of the playoff hunt the team disregarded service time issues. Unless it is in a similar position you won't see that this year.

Honest, if your an ESPN insider. The article is why I will never be one. If I am paying for any service it needs to serve a function. This article most definitely did not. My suggestion is save your money.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » February 3rd, 2013, 4:37 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Also it is possible that Manny Machado may experience some growing pains.

Or then again he may be lights out and put up tremendous numbers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 3rd, 2013, 4:39 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I won't guess at which end of his body the article was expelled.

That line is worth TEN points. I'm sorry I can only give you one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by dan72 » February 5th, 2013, 9:23 pm

I think Manny takes a leap forward with the bat this year and his defense will remain solid. There seams to be a trend lately with guys in their second year emerging. Trout is the obvious first guy that comes to mind.
If It were my column I would mention all of the one run wins, and extra inning wins. Those are the feats that will be difficult to repeat. Another mention could be Davis at 1B......

Sadly someone is paying this reporter to spew this stuff......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles