Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Keith Law's Top 100 prospects

Keith Law's Top 100 prospects

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 5th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Keith Law's Top 100 prospects

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 5th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Wow! What a dramatic difference between his list and the one published on MLB.com.

I'm not sure I would have placed Schoop that high on the list, but I DEFINITELY believe he belongs on it. I also think that Rodriguez deserves his spot.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

KLaw top 100 Prospects

PostPost #3 by A_K » February 5th, 2013, 8:56 pm

3. Dylan Bundy
26. Kevin Gausman
50. Jonathan Schoop
100. Eduardo Rodriguez

Schoop is listed as SS.

Bundy

Bundy, the fourth overall pick in the 2011 draft, made it pretty clear this spring that he should have gone No. 1, with his height (he's 6 feet tall) and the perceived risk of prep right-handers the only real arguments against him.

He was probably ready for Double-A by midyear if not sooner, but started the season in low Class A on a highly restricted pitch count, tearing the Sally League into tiny pieces before moving up to high-A in late May and pitching extremely well there too. He did that all without his best weapon, a hard cutter that breaks like a slider but at velocities up to 89 mph, which the organization asked him to set aside while he developed his other stuff.

Bundy did work on his other off-speed pitches this year, with a solid-average curveball and a changeup that probably won't be as effective as the cutter, and he has some work to do with fastball command. He has one of the minors' best deliveries, his conditioning is superb and he's a diligent kid with a great work ethic. So while he may not pitch in the Orioles' rotation until 2014 or so, he still has No. 1 starter upside.

Gausman
Gausman was the fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft as a draft-eligible sophomore out of LSU. He started the year unevenly but threw better in the second half as LSU coaches got him to focus on throwing his slider instead of his below-average curveball.

He will sit 93-97 and can touch 99, but his improved command of the pitch was a big reason he took a giant leap forward in 2012. The other reason was that above-average slider, 82-86 with hard downward break, the breaking ball he needed to be more effective against right-handed hitters. He always had a plus changeup at 83-86 with strong fading action, giving him a true three-pitch mix where he could peak with three grade-60 pitches. Gausman's delivery is much cleaner than it was in high school, starting with a very high leg kick, staying over the rubber well with a strong finishing over his front side.

There are a handful of things to clear for him to project as a No. 1 starter, notably keeping the fastball out of the middle of the plate in hitters' counts, but I could safely project him as a No. 2 guy who's among the top 25 or so starters in his league.

Might be safe for the paranoid homers to retire the "Klaw hates the Orioles" talk for a little.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Re: Keith Law's Top 100 prospects

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » February 5th, 2013, 9:31 pm

ofahn wrote:Wow! What a dramatic difference between his list and the one published on MLB.com.

I'm not sure I would have placed Schoop that high on the list, but I DEFINITELY believe he belongs on it. I also think that Rodriguez deserves his spot.

In fairness to Kieth Law, he is less interested in pleasing the fan base in every market than MLB is. As for Schoop, it does seem a tad high. Somewhere between 75-85 would have been more realistic to my thinking.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to Minor Leagues