Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dylan Bundy Is Ranked Second On MLB's Top 100 Prospect List

Dylan Bundy Is Ranked Second On MLB's Top 100 Prospect List

PostPost #1 by ofahn » January 30th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 7/8 | Curveball: 5/6 | Changeup: 6/7 | Control: 5/6 | Overall: 6/7

It’s not often that a pitcher makes it to the big leagues in his first full season as a professional. It’s even less common when one taken out of high school does it, but that’s exactly what Bundy accomplished in 2012. The Oklahoma prep product started the year in the South Atlantic League and finished it in Baltimore. Along the way, he showed an ability to throw several pitches for strikes. His Fastball is easily plus, thrown up to 98 mph, and he maintains velocity deep into his starts with a clean and easy delivery. His curve should be at least above-average in the future, though he’s still learning to throw it consistently. He has good arm speed on his changeup, which should be another above-average or better pitch. He looks every bit the top of the rotation starter the Orioles hoped they were getting when they gave him a Major League contract.

Kevin Gausman is ranked 37th.

Scouting Grades* (present/future): Fastball: 7/7 | Curveball: 4/5 | Changeup: 6/7 | Control: 4/5 | Overall: 5/6

What a difference two years can make. Coming out of high school, Gausman was a highly thought of pitcher with a ton of arm strength, but little else. After two seasons at LSU, he emerged as the top college arm taken in the 2012 Draft. He still has the power, his fastball is an easy plus pitch, but he’s learned a lot more about his overall craft. He backs up his heater with another plus pitch, a changeup, which fades and sinks. His breaking stuff has always lagged behind a bit as he toyed with both a curve and slider in college, with the latter likely being the better option going forward. Improving that, along with his overall command, are all he needs to be a frontline starter in the big leagues in the near future.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/index.jsp

Schoop didn't make the list and Machado isn't eligible anymore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Dylan Bundy Is Ranked Second On MLB's Top 100 Prospect List

PostPost #2 by rudyrooster » January 30th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I'm a little surprised that Gausman isn't ranked higher--say in the 20 to 25 range. I'm MORE than a little surprised that Schoop isn't in the Top 100. Thanks for the post ofahn.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » January 30th, 2013, 6:03 pm

I think only because neither put up big stats. Encouraging though since Gausman was just getting his feet wet and Schoop was slowed by injury. Both could make big jumps. Maybe top 10 and top 40 respectfully.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

rudyrooster wrote:I'm a little surprised that Gausman isn't ranked higher--say in the 20 to 25 range. I'm MORE than a little surprised that Schoop isn't in the Top 100. Thanks for the post ofahn.

A lot of people make a big deal about Schoop's numbers, but forget that he was 21 years old, which is about 3-4 years younger than the average Eastern League pitcher.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » January 30th, 2013, 6:48 pm

The top 100 prospects list is what it is, and that's just baseball fodder to fill up pages that is never right. It's nice that Bundy is rated #2 but it really means nothing in the long run. There have been many, many top 100 prospects who have never sniffed the major leagues, and there are many on this list who also won't.

Baseball is such an inexact game to predict. Guys can come out of no where to be impactful players and "can't miss prospects" just don't make the big show. Classic example is Tim Beckham who was rated #28 prospect in 2009 and #67 in 2010 and since then not ranked at all.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » January 30th, 2013, 7:28 pm

rudyrooster wrote:I'm a little surprised that Gausman isn't ranked higher--say in the 20 to 25 range. I'm MORE than a little surprised that Schoop isn't in the Top 100. Thanks for the post ofahn.

It's more a reflection on the top 10 2nd baseman than it is on Schoop. Honestly even if he ends up and average defender, but hits for average with some pop he will be glorious for the team.

But the teams farm system overall is no longer strong like it was three years ago. The team is going to have to get much better at drafting and that ghastly 2009 class is killing us.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 30th, 2013, 9:38 pm

rudyrooster wrote:I'm a little surprised that Gausman isn't ranked higher--say in the 20 to 25 range. I'm MORE than a little surprised that Schoop isn't in the Top 100.

If they're both dominant at Bowie expect to see Gausman in the top 15 on the mid season list and Schoop somewhere towards the bottom.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 30th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:There have been many, many top 100 prospects who have never sniffed the major leagues, and there are many on this list who also won't.

If you're referring to busts from the top 100 I would agree, but almost every player on the top 10 list has a ML career unless they get injured. Some certainly make a bigger impact than others.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » January 30th, 2013, 11:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
If you're referring to busts from the top 100 I would agree, but almost every player on the top 10 list has a ML career unless they get injured. Some certainly make a bigger impact than others.

and I agree with you about the top 10, and yes I was talking about the top 100 prospects.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 31st, 2013, 10:53 am

Old Sneakers wrote:The team is going to have to get much better at drafting and that ghastly 2009 class is killing us.

I would agree that the 2009 draft was a missed opportunity, but it wasn't a complete loss.

I cringe every time I think of how we could have had an almost MLB ready SP with the #4 pick that would now be in our rotation or a trade candidate. I felt that our farm system was so barren at that point that we couldn't afford to wait the normal five years for a HS player to develop from that draft spot.

After that we have actually had some good value:

Randy Henry - traded for a quality piece on the 25 Man Roster
Ryan Berry - will probably spend time in our bullpen
Michael Ohlman - the upside of a starting ML C, and at least a ML back up
Brenden Webb - five tools that are starting to develop and possibly the future RF
Tim Berry - legitimate ML SP prospect

There are also some wildcards that have the real chance of contributing in Baltimore. Overall it's a disappointment, but it could have been worse.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » January 31st, 2013, 12:14 pm

Schoop not in the top 100?? That is surprising if true. I wonder if BA is signing off on him as a legitimate prospect??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Schoop not in the top 100?? That is surprising if true. I wonder if BA is signing off on him as a legitimate prospect??? 8-)

I don't think that's what his failure to make the top 100 means.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by osforlife » January 31st, 2013, 5:29 pm

Jonathan Schoop is probably very close to top 100. His stats weren't great at AA, but he held his own in an older league. I full expect Schoop to be our second or third basemen for some years. He just needs a little more time to get his pitch recongnition down IMO. Another year at Bowie will be good for him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » February 15th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand we have four in the top 100??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #15 by ofahn » February 15th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Different list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles