Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

Re: How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

PostPost #91 by Old Sneakers » January 30th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Upgrading my grade to a C+

The Jair Jurrjens signing may or may not bear fruit but it's a move with a potential payoff.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #92 by birdwatcher55 » January 31st, 2013, 12:17 pm

You are a tough grader LOL :D If Jurrgens is healthy and throwing hard, this is the steal of the winter 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #93 by Old Sneakers » February 1st, 2013, 1:16 am

I may be somewhat pessimistic. I expected the team to trade an arm for either a LF or 2B. We've all hashed it out and most agree if a worthwhile move had been available the team would've pulled the trigger. It didn't happen. We also were unable to make any significant move internationally. That said I think the "C+" is fair.

I just don't see the team as having gained much ground. Or losing any either. What I won't do is compare the team to what divisional opponents did. That in my eyes would be unfair.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #94 by birdwatcher55 » February 1st, 2013, 12:47 pm

Just my two cents: we're stronger in LF than we were at any point last season with McLouth and Reimold back. Reimold is capable of putting up good numbers and I'm optimistic he will. I think Bundy is the wild card here. If he arrives for good say after June and starts throwing quality innings, it's going to be huge for this organization going forward. I know Toronto is everyone's darling right now but we're still a good team that people need to pay attention to... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #95 by Seafordeagles » February 1st, 2013, 12:58 pm

Nolan Reimold is the big"IF". IF he squanders this opportunity either through injury or non-production I feel it's time to move on with a different right handed hitting outfielder.

The team was not going to bring in a really good 2nd baseman as long as Roberts is still under contract. Peter Angelos would have none of that. A lot of the Orioles success will hinge on Roberts and Reimold. With none of us having a clue how they will produce and that's why I rated the off season "so far" a C.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #96 by ofahn » February 1st, 2013, 1:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Nolan Reimold is the big"IF". IF he squanders this opportunity either through injury or non-production I feel it's time to move on with a different right handed hitting outfielder.

I agree with this enough that I'm giving you a Rep Point, but I want to point out that Reimold MAY be the best natural hitter on the team and I can't fault the FO for taking a risk that he won't be able to provide 500 ABs because they want to see what he can do with a full season.

Seafordeagles wrote:The team was not going to bring in a really good 2nd baseman as long as Roberts is still under contract. Peter Angelos would have none of that. A lot of the Orioles success will hinge on Roberts and Reimold. With none of us having a clue how they will produce and that's why I rated the off season "so far" a C.

I might have phrased that differently as they weren't going to spend a LOT of money on a 2B, but they would have been very happy if they could have found "a really good 2nd baseman" at a price they thought was fair.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #97 by Old Sneakers » February 1st, 2013, 2:48 pm

Both of you are making good comments. I thought I should clarify further.

My issues with LF and 2B aren't so much a reflection on the questions regarding Reimold or Roberts. It's more about having a true lead off hitter (BA .285 and OBP .350) as well as a steady "dependable" presence in LF.

Those are tall orders for any single off season. However right now we still have no long term plan with these needs. Or 1B for that matter. Yes, certainly Reimold has a huge amount of talent batting and could be a big producer. However, the waiting game is getting tiresome. If he doesn't have a very good year it's time to move on. Same with Roberts. Actually even if Roberts comes back in a big way this is in all likelihood his final year with the team. At his age and recent production I am OK with saying goodbye as well. However, no real prospect in the minors (Schoop is a huge maybe to stick at 2B) for 2B exists.

As for 1B, what can I say. How many years has this position been discussed? By now the team should have landed a decent fit that suited the teams needs for multiple years. I don't expect a 35 HR guy. I have expected a league average player for the position though. It simply hasn't happened. The only real hope is that someone come September emerges in the minors that makes me eat crow on the subject or we draft a talent.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #98 by ofahn » February 1st, 2013, 2:54 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Yes, certainly Reimold has a huge amount of talent batting and could be a big producer. However, the waiting game is getting tiresome. If he doesn't have a very good year it's time to move on.

I COMPLETELY agree.

Old Sneakers wrote:As for 1B, what can I say. How many years has this position been discussed? By now the team should have landed a decent fit that suited the teams needs for multiple years. I don't expect a 35 HR guy. I have expected a league average player for the position though. It simply hasn't happened. The only real hope is that someone come September emerges in the minors that makes me eat crow on the subject or we draft a talent.

We may already have that guy. Let's see if Chris Davis can play an average or better defense at 1B. If not, then we need to put 1B on our 2013 Christmas List.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #99 by Seafordeagles » February 1st, 2013, 4:26 pm

ofahn wrote:We may already have that guy. Let's see if Chris Davis can play an average or better defense at 1B. If not, then we need to put 1B on our 2013 Christmas List.

There's no doubt in my mind that Chris Davis will play an ABOVE AVERAGE 1st base. The main reason is that's the only glove he's going to use this year. No more playing 3rd base, no more playing the outfield. He's got great footwork around the bag where Reynold's footwork was atrocious. Chris Davis will be a very good 1st baseman. He has a history of playing a very good 1st base up until last season.

Give him one glove and he will prosper.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #100 by Old Sneakers » February 1st, 2013, 6:53 pm

Foolishly I left Chris Davis out of my post. I agree with both of you. He's got to be better that what has been the past two seasons. Even if he doesn't put up huge HR totals like last year he's likely an upgrade. That is perfectly OK with me too! I need a guy that can play the position and at least not be a liability at the plate. I think I am just annoyed that Tyler Townsend is our best prospect at the position and he can't stay healthy.

Forgive me for rambling....

My understanding was SS, 2B, C and CF were the hardest positions to find, develop and get the the major leagues. Corner infielders and Outfielders were relatively easy to get. That said, as a fan I am frustrated with the team's ability to develop these areas of need. I know draft discussions has it's own section and I won't go off on a tangent. I will say though that this team must do better than it has.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #101 by A_K » February 1st, 2013, 7:50 pm

Chris Davis has put up a negative defensive performance in 4 of the 5 seasons he's been in major league baseball.

Expecting him to suddenly become an above average 1B is nothing more than blind faith. Folks can feel free to blindly expect him to do something that he's shown zero ability to do as a professional baseball player, but just know you're doing so. Expectations that aren't supported by any legitimate evidence are just setting yourself up for disappointment. I won't be joining you.

That said, I think it's within the realm of possibility that Davis can be productive enough at the plate to compensate for the virtual certainty that he'll be comfortably below average in the field.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #102 by ofahn » February 1st, 2013, 8:04 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I know draft discussions has it's own section and I won't go off on a tangent. I will say though that this team must do better than it has.

IMO the team FINALLY has the infrastructure to do so.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #103 by ofahn » February 1st, 2013, 8:06 pm

A_K wrote: I think it's within the realm of possibility that Davis can be productive enough at the plate to compensate for the virtual certainty that he'll be comfortably below average in the field.

Davis' bat will play very nicely at DH. I don't want him at 1B unless he can play an above average defense. I would give him about 80 games to show what he can do, but if he's consistently costing us runs there then we will need to rethink the lineup.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #104 by Seafordeagles » February 1st, 2013, 8:07 pm

A_K wrote:Chris Davis has put up a negative defensive performance in 4 of the 5 seasons he's been in major league baseball.

Expecting him to suddenly become an above average 1B is nothing more than blind faith. Folks can feel free to blindly expect him to do something that he's shown zero ability to do as a professional baseball player, but just know you're doing so. Expectations that aren't supported by any legitimate evidence are just setting yourself up for disappointment. I won't be joining you.

That said, I think it's within the realm of possibility that Davis can be productive enough at the plate to compensate for the virtual certainty that he'll be comfortably below average in the field.

Chris Davis 10 errors in 263 career major league games at 1st base with a .995 fielding percentage.

Mark Reynolds had 16 errors in 186 career major league games at 1st base with a .990 fielding percentage.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #105 by A_K » February 1st, 2013, 8:37 pm

Translated:

"Based on the most irrelevant statistic in all of baseball, Chris Davis is slightly better than one of the worst defensive infielders in all of baseball."
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles