Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

Re: How Would You Rate The Orioles’ Off Season So Far?

PostPost #76 by ofahn » January 28th, 2013, 5:44 pm

A_K wrote:Kelly Johnson on a one-year deal is another contract I wish the Orioles had agreed to. We had a black hole of productivity at 2B last year and we're destined to have the same thing yet again. Johnson is now a far cry from the .800 OPS player he used to be but even at his current level of productivity he'd be a decided upgrade over the Casilla, or Roberts (who won't be healthy anyway, but even if he is won't be any good regardless).

You're preaching to the choir, but as long as Roberts is still under contract...........................................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #77 by MemOrioles » January 29th, 2013, 3:14 am

A_K wrote:Kelly Johnson on a one-year deal is another contract I wish the Orioles had agreed to. We had a black hole of productivity at 2B last year and we're destined to have the same thing yet again. Johnson is now a far cry from the .800 OPS player he used to be but even at his current level of productivity he'd be a decided upgrade over the Casilla, or Roberts (who won't be healthy anyway, but even if he is won't be any good regardless).

I agree on Johnson. The guy has the tools but has problems putting it all together. I have suspected for a while now that it is a confidence thing that he might get over in the right situation. Another thing that haunts him is his desire to be a 20-30 HR hitter. If he would cut down on his swing a little and concentrate on making contact I think he could be a .280 hitter with good speed, and 30+ doubles and 15+ HRs capabilities.
MemOrioles
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #78 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Never thought much about Kelly. Wonder if Dan has??? :?: :?:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #79 by A_K » January 29th, 2013, 2:57 pm

I'm not worried so much about how much he's thought of Kelly Johnson. I'm more concerned with whether he's fully aware of just how Effing terrible the Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty group is.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #80 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 2:59 pm

A_K wrote:I'm more concerned with whether he's fully aware of just how Effing terrible the Roberts/Casilla/Flaherty group is.

Can I assume that NONE of these guys will get your All Star vote?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #81 by osforlife » January 29th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Alexi Casilla will likely be our second basemen for the majority of the year. Frankly, I'll be happy with a .700 OPS, above-average defense, and 25 steals from, hopefully, our #9 hitter.
April 1st: Brian Roberts is our second basemen, Alexi Casilla is our back-up middle infielder, and Ryan Flaherty is in AAA.
May 1st: Brian Roberts is on the DL, Alexi Casilla is our second basemen, and Ryan Flaherty is our super utility back-up.
I think there is a very realistic chance that scenario comes true.
Zelous Wheeler, Buck Britton, and Ty Kelly might all be in AAA and all our somewhat capable of playing second base.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #82 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 3:58 pm

osforlife wrote:May 1st: Brian Roberts is on the DL, Alexi Casilla is our second basemen, and Ryan Flaherty is our super utility back-up.

Sadly, I agree.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #83 by Seafordeagles » January 29th, 2013, 5:04 pm

osforlife wrote:Alexi Casilla will likely be our second basemen for the majority of the year. Frankly, I'll be happy with a .700 OPS, above-average defense, and 25 steals from, hopefully, our #9 hitter.
April 1st: Brian Roberts is our second basemen, Alexi Casilla is our back-up middle infielder, and Ryan Flaherty is in AAA.
May 1st: Brian Roberts is on the DL, Alexi Casilla is our second basemen, and Ryan Flaherty is our super utility back-up.
Zelous Wheeler, Buck Britton, and Ty Kelly might all be in AAA and all our somewhat capable of playing second base.

Yamaico Navarro could be in the mix as well.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #84 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Yamaico Navarro could be in the mix as well.

I question whether his glove will hold up in a defense first environment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #85 by Seafordeagles » January 29th, 2013, 5:33 pm

ofahn wrote:
I question whether his glove will hold up in a defense first environment.

DD or his scouts must have seen something in him or they wouldn't have traded for him.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #86 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
DD or his scouts must have seen something in him or they wouldn't have traded for him.

I can't speak for them, but I wouldn't be surprised if his utility value wasn't what they were looking at. At least he's less of a threat with the glove than Betemit.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #87 by A_K » January 29th, 2013, 7:56 pm

osforlife wrote:Alexi Casilla will likely be our second basemen for the majority of the year. Frankly, I'll be happy with a .700 OPS, above-average defense, and 25 steals from, hopefully, our #9 hitter.

This is exactly how I see things playing out, with the exception that I don't see Wheeler, Britton or Kelly figuring into the equation at all. I also think there's a good chance that Roberts doesn't make it out of spring training, and we'll break camp with Casilla as our 2B and Flaherty as super utility. In any case, the overwhelming majority of the season will be spent with Casilla as our 2B and Flaherty as a super utility.

I think there's also a non-zero chance that Schoop forces the issue at some point in the season and ends up doing his best impression of Manny at third base last year.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #88 by ofahn » January 29th, 2013, 9:36 pm

A_K wrote:I think there's also a non-zero chance that Schoop forces the issue at some point in the season

He would REALLY have to make a giant leap forward to make it to Baltimore this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #89 by osforlife » January 29th, 2013, 10:09 pm

I think another full year at Bowie would do Jonathan Schoop good. He has many things to perfect still, and he is only twenty one. As much as we need a quality second basemen at the major league level, I wouldn't want to bring him up too soon and screw his development. All these players than probably pan out as utility players at the major league level(Navarro, Kelly, Britton, Wheeler) probably won't make an impact for us at second base. I was just pointing out that we have depth(the quality of the depth is questionable)that could be an emergency plan if Roberts is hurt and Casilla really struggles.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #90 by LA Detective » January 30th, 2013, 5:59 pm

It wouldnt be a horrible bet that we trade for a solid 2nd baseman at the trading deadline. BR will be given every chance to prove he can play on a championship caliber club and PA wouldnt allow that $ to sit. Flaherty would have to come up and play very well (.280+)..Even still we might trade for a half year rental guy making Flaherty a super sub.. I think DD/Buck could talk PA into a half year rental if BR cant play well enough or is totally out.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles