Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should the O's move dimensions back 10 feet at camden yards?

Re: Should the O's move diminsons back 10 feet at camden yards?

PostPost #16 by osforlife » January 27th, 2013, 9:52 pm

steve wrote:It may be pretty. But its killing our pitchers. Gotta think about our O's succeeding on winning championships like they used to do at Memorial Stadium. Think about the team rather how the park looks

I'd say it's slightly a hitter's park, but nothing extraordinary like Coors field. There is no reason to change it. Basically every ballpark favors either pitchers or hitters, Camden Yards just happens to favor hitters and look FANTASTIC to top it off.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 27th, 2013, 10:18 pm

If we had better pitchers it wouldn't be quite a hitters' park. The last part of 2012 our pitching really improved and we seemed to be able to contain other teams in this park. I DON'T see that as a coincidence.

One of the reasons I want to acquire Porcello is that he's a ground ball pitcher. So is Britton. Adding otherwise effective pitchers like that to talents like Chen, Bundy, Gausman, and Tillman could make Camden Yards into the Grand Canyon for opposing teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by steve » January 28th, 2013, 12:22 am

It's very tough to do that in this game. Keeping the ball down isnt easy as it looks. You could get in control problems start walking batters. Look how tough Fenway is. If you walk batters in Fenway you are asking for trouble. Palmer,McNally and Cuellar didnt keep ball down often cause the type of ballpark Memorial Stadium was. You can get away with pitching in middle of strike zone or often high at Memorial Stadium,But you wont get away with that at camden yards.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » January 28th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I would not touch things now .. not with this lineup. We should easily eclipse 200 HRs this season and pound a lot of teams into submission with the longball. Granted our pitching may give up a few but I like our chances most nights with this lineup at OPACY. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by steve » January 28th, 2013, 7:16 pm

I don't want to see an O's game look like a typical Wrigley Field game. It's high scoring in that place cause that park is soo small surrounded by houses that make ball fly out. Look at the Oakland Coliseum. It's now a launching pad for hitters cause of that stupid football stands they built. Back in those 70s A's had great pitching and great hitting they look just like the O's back then cause the Coliseum was huge and had support of the wind cuts down the longball.
steve
DSL Orioles

Re: Should the O's move dimensions back 10 feet at camden yards?

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2013, 12:26 pm

I'm a longball fan so I really don't miss those 3-2, 2-1 days at Memorial Stadium. I like to pound teams early, get 6/7 from my starters and then let the bullpen mop up 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by steve » January 29th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I love the pitching game. What are the Odds youll see a perfect game at camden yards? There has never been a perfect game pitched at Fenway.No hitters yes but never a perfect game. Theres have been 2 perfect games pitched at Memorial Stadium. Palmer did it vs A's and Fernando Valenzuela did in back in 1991 vs Angels
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » January 29th, 2013, 1:43 pm

I think a perfect game is possible anywhere in any Major League Park. It depends who is pitching and if they are pitching the game of their life that day. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles