Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How Much Does Orioles Nation Mean To Me?

How Much Does Orioles Nation Mean To Me?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 4:59 pm

I know that this post belongs in a different thread and I'm sure it will be moved there later, but I wanted the topic to get the most exposure possible.

About two years ago I came across this well designed forum that focused on the Baltimore Orioles. It allowed me to share my opinions about a team I've been a rabid fan of for over 45 years, and I could do that with intelligent and well spoken fellow fans that often brought rational arguments and buckets of stats into the discussion. I was in Heaven.

When I learned that the this gift from above was developed and run by a precocious high school kid I was even more impressed with the results and offered to help. Eventually, I was asked to be a moderator and felt the time involved was well spent.

The FIRST thing I do every morning when I wake up is check the site to catch up on the latest threads. I probably look in about a dozen times a day. As important as it is during the season it's an even a bigger part of my spare time in the winter. Orioles baseball when the stadium lights are in hibernation; what I REALLY for Christmas!

Jordan is the HEART and SOUL of this forum. This young man never seems to sleep. I often am PMing back and forth with him at Zero Dark Hundred with new ideas for interesting topics.

What does Orioles Nation mean to you? Sometimes we take things that are important to us for granted. I challenge you to tell Jordan what his hard work means to you. Let's let him know how much we appreciate everything he does to keep this forum up and running.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: How Much Does Orioles Nation Mean To Me?

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » January 24th, 2013, 8:59 pm

I came across this site quite by accident when trying to find some information on drafted players, those that were signed , where they would be place after signing etc.. After sticking around awhile and reading the post I came to the realization that the forums, information and members within this site are second to none.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that is willing to take a chance in starting this type of endeavor and sticking to it through all the ups and downs. Thanks to Jordan and the moderators this is a place to get any and all information about the team I have loved and followed since the early seventies without the hoopla associated with some type of unregulated bias system of entitlement.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 24th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

Let me clarify and say that the reason ofahn posted this is because I told him I am pretty sure I am going to take a break from the site.

This is not an easy decision, and it's still not final. But I'm fairly certain I am going to put Orioles Nation on hold for a bit. I want to make it clear that this decision has nothing to do with time, but rather involves my drive and passion. When I started the site in 9th grade I lived for Orioles Nation (at that time it was OriolesProspects.com). I spent every minute after school working on the site and writing. Now, I'm interested in much more than baseball and writing for the site has turned into more of a job than something that I really enjoy. Not in terms of money, but in terms of how I feel when I go to write.

It's certainly weird that my passion for writing about the Orioles has deeply faded after such a tremendous season. I wish I still had the same drive I had in high school. My goal was to create the best and all inclusive Orioles site and I think I was successful at one time. But this site cannot be the best if I am not putting my best effort forward or enough time into it.

If one day during the season I really feel like I miss writing about baseball, I'd definitely return to writing in an instant. But, for now, I think I need a break from it all to simply see how I feel.

When I make a final decision I'll post here to update you guys. If I am indeed putting the site on hold I'll make a post on the front page and post a link here.

Maybe we could work something out where the forums remain open, but I am pretty sure if I decide to stop writing that I will lock the forums too. Nothing on the forums or the site will be deleted. I'm going to leave everything open in case I return.

ON has turned into something much bigger than I expected after I started it in 9th grade. The site has been my life for nearly 4 years. None of this is an easy decision and I welcome any feedback, suggestions, or thoughts.

I'm probably going to speak with some good friends and family members to see what they have to say. I'll keep everyone here posted.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by DougDE » January 24th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Completely understandable what you're going through. I've been visiting this site nearly daily since it was OP and if it goes away it will be missed.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » January 25th, 2013, 12:35 am

Are you taking the site down? If so I will surely miss it. I know doing anything for a length of time becomes a burden. I hope you just appoint someone trustworthy as a moderator and keep it going.

As for myself I enjoy the atmosphere here and visit 2-3 times a day. I like this forum. It really does matter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 25th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I really want to thank you for what you do Jordan. It is just awesome and I really can't put it into words. It is completely reasonable to feel like you need a break. I am sure keeping this site up takes a lot of work. That being said, even if you take a break, I would love it if you appointed a trustworthy moderator to keep in running as Old Sneakers said.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by dan72 » January 25th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I to found the site by accident, O-N is now apart of my daily life. I appreciate the differing opinions. I think we all get to put on our General manager caps while we are here......I also appreciate Jordan and the moderators for running the site. I know its quite a job.
The Minor league/ prospect info is priceless.
Keep up the good work!
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » January 25th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Awesome job on the site Jordan I know I've really enjoyed the legitimate scouting reports and intelligent discussion over the past year or so. You gotta do what's best for you though, best of luck to you in the future.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by rudyrooster » January 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm

I would hate to see the forums become inactive. I look here everyday for the latest news and info. The conversation and analysis is usually more intelligent than some other forums. A job well done Jordan and good luck to you in the future...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 12:51 am

DougDE wrote:Completely understandable what you're going through. I've been visiting this site nearly daily since it was OP and if it goes away it will be missed.

I definitely think of you as one of ON's first readers, Doug.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 12:55 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Are you taking the site down? If so I will surely miss it. I know doing anything for a length of time becomes a burden. I hope you just appoint someone trustworthy as a moderator and keep it going.

As for myself I enjoy the atmosphere here and visit 2-3 times a day. I like this forum. It really does matter.

I would not take down any of the content. I could appoint a moderator, but I'm not sure I would. Thanks for the input. Your feedback is appreciated.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 12:57 am

osforlife wrote:I really want to thank you for what you do Jordan. It is just awesome and I really can't put it into words. It is completely reasonable to feel like you need a break. I am sure keeping this site up takes a lot of work. That being said, even if you take a break, I would love it if you appointed a trustworthy moderator to keep in running as Old Sneakers said.

Thank you, osforlife!

There's definitely a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes--forum moderation, writing, coding. It's all worth it, but lately hasn't felt that way.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 12:58 am

dan72 wrote:I to found the site by accident, O-N is now apart of my daily life. I appreciate the differing opinions. I think we all get to put on our General manager caps while we are here......I also appreciate Jordan and the moderators for running the site. I know its quite a job.
The Minor league/ prospect info is priceless.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Dan. I'm glad you enjoy everything.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 1:00 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Awesome job on the site Jordan I know I've really enjoyed the legitimate scouting reports and intelligent discussion over the past year or so. You gotta do what's best for you though, best of luck to you in the future.

I'm really glad to hear that. Thanks!
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 26th, 2013, 1:02 am

rudyrooster wrote:I would hate to see the forums become inactive. I look here everyday for the latest news and info. The conversation and analysis is usually more intelligent than some other forums. A job well done Jordan and good luck to you in the future...

Thanks, Rudy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles