Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 24th, 2013, 10:43 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... th-orioles

Free agent righthander Jair Jurrjens, who was not tendered by the Braves after a rough 2012 season, has agreed to a deal with the Orioles, CBSSports.com has learned.

Jurrjens will receive a $1.5 million base on a Major League deal and can bring his totalk to $4 million with incentives.

Orioles GM Dan Duquette did a superb job finding pitching gems last winter, and this is another of the low-risk variety. Jurrjens went 3-4 with a 6.89 ERA with Atlanta and spent much of the year in the minors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 24th, 2013, 10:44 pm

A nice move IMO. We saw last year that extra pitching depth is always a good idea even if you believe the team has more than enough.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 10:49 pm

osforlife is going to be thrilled.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 24th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I'm surprised it's a major league deal.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 24th, 2013, 10:53 pm

If this is a ML deal someone will have to come off of the roster. I wonder who?

Also, does this change our interest in Joe Saunders?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 24th, 2013, 10:54 pm

ofahn wrote:If this is a ML deal someone will have to come off of the roster. I wonder who?

Also, does this change our interest in Joe Saunders?

I think this probably means we won't see Saunders back in Baltimore. But, you can never have enough SPs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 24th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I guess we can kiss Joe Saunders goodbye. Jurrjens is still very young, I can think of a lot of lesser options than him.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » January 25th, 2013, 12:39 am

This is a solid move and it didn't really hurt the payroll. The guy had a rotten 2012 but depth is important and if he wants a shot at a secure future then he can earn it in Baltimore. For all we know he could be on the starting rotation when the season begins and it allows us to get other arms work needed elsewhere.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by MemOrioles » January 25th, 2013, 10:02 am

As a Braves fan I am sorry to see him leave Atlanta, but as an Orioles fan I am Happy! Happy! Happy!
As someone who has watched most of JJ's starts I feel pretty confident that he has many more great years ahead of him, and if last years injuries are behind him he may well be the true ace the O's need.
MemOrioles
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 25th, 2013, 10:10 am

MemOrioles wrote:As a Braves fan I am sorry to see him leave Atlanta, but as an Orioles fan I am Happy! Happy! Happy!
As someone who has watched most of JJ's starts I feel pretty confident that he has many more great years ahead of him, and if last years injuries are behind him he may well be the true ace the O's need.

There's ALWAYS room for a quality SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » January 25th, 2013, 11:53 am

Jair Jurrjens time line.
August 15, 2007 Detroit purchases Jair's contract and is placed on the 40/25 man roster for the first time in his career.
August 26, 2007 Placed on 15 Day DL
September 11, 2007 Activated from DL
October 29, 2007 Traded to Atlanta
May 05, 2010 Placed on the 15 Day DL
June 39, 2010 Activated from DL
October 07, 2010 Reassigned to minors (This was for the playoff roster not an option)
October 13, 2010 reactivated
April 03, 2011 Placed on 15 Day DL
April 16, 2011 Activated from DL
August 06, 2011 Placed on 15 Day DL
August 17, 2011 Activated from DL
April 24, 2012 Optioned to the Minors (This is the first option that I can find that is used)
November 30, 2012 Non Tendered/Filed for Free agency

I do believe that Jair Jurrjens has two options remaining with what I can find about his transactions. This makes him a better signing than I had first thought. Allow him to stay in extended Spring Training with Rick Peterson and rediscover his sinker if he does not have it at the end of Spring Training. If all goes well he would have a target date of Mid May to be placed on the 25 Man Roster.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #12 by ofahn » January 25th, 2013, 12:14 pm

thezeroes wrote:Jair Jurrjens time line.
August 15, 2007 Detroit purchases Jair's contract and is placed on the 40/25 man roster for the first time in his career.
October 07, 2010 Reassigned to minors (This was for the playoff roster not an option)
April 24, 2012 Optioned to the Minors (This is the first option that I can find that is used)

I do believe that Jair Jurrjens has two options remaining with what I can find about his transactions. This makes him a better signing than I had first thought. Allow him to stay in extended Spring Training with Rick Peterson and rediscover his sinker if he does not have it at the end of Spring Training. If all goes well he would have a target date of Mid May to be placed on the 25 Man Roster.

Great research, strong analysis. POINTS!

The remaining option is the reason I want Porcello, too. Imagine going into the trading deadline with at least two quality young SPs to offer. It BOGGLES the imagination!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » January 25th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I am very glad we signed him and was hoping the Orioles would take a flyer on a low-risk, high-reward pitcher like Jurrjens. This dude must have been hurt or something last year because his numbers are just awful. thezeroes proposed a realistic scenario in which we leave him in extended spring training and help him find his sinker. Basically, we have two pitching slots to fill. Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, J. Johnson, O'Day, Patton, Hunter, Ayala, and Strop are all but locks. That leaves Steve Johnson, Tsuyoshi Wada, TJ McFarland, Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Jair Jurrjens, and Zach Britton fighting for two spots I would assume. I think Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton all still have potential as starters, so they should go down to AAA IMO. Say Wada and Jurrjens are still at extended spring training come Opening Day, maybe Steve Johnson takes the 5th rotation spot and McFarland serves as a long man for the first month or so.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » January 25th, 2013, 2:17 pm

thezeroes wrote:Jair Jurrjens time line.

Simply outstanding!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #15 by dan72 » January 25th, 2013, 2:29 pm

I think it's safe to assume that Saunders will not be back. With several teams in a bidding war I doubt the Orioles will over pay to bring him back. I think he ends up in Seattle. I would love to see Saunders back, as it has been said previously, you can never have enough good arms.
Jurrjens was a good pick up. Duquette seems to be very good at picking players up off the scrap heap. Mclouth is another example. Good job DD.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles